Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Postby Randygmn on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 am

sglatzel wrote:Just to clarify a few items. While .380's might not be in the store now I heard that more stock is arriving after the first. For those needing something special stop at Cabela's or Gander Mountain like I did to get 10mm. They do have a huge amount of 9mm and 22lr, never seen that much in a long time.

Just having been open for 2 days as of now, it takes a little fine tuning to complete some tasks, give them some time and see what happens. What happened the last time you moved into a new house, get everything unpacked and put away away on the same day, I moved on the first of this month and I am still looking for things. Floor and wall stripes probably as soon as the contractor can get them done. I heard they didn't have full access to move in until Friday and got the basics ready just before they opened the doors. The holiday hours are on their web site, closed on the 25th and the 1st.

The entire facility looks to be on the same level slab, the RO that I talked to says that you may keep your brass but can't go forward of the firing line, they have paper targets there, they don't need human ones. There is no "pit" like Bill's has. Their range fees and memberships are posted, 30 day pass is $30 plus $8 dollars to shoot, second shooter is discounted rate. Non member price is $20. No time limit within reason. Classes will begin soon, I think I heard CCW starts on the 28th of December.

Again there is no "pit", you can sweep your own brass, but you can't go forward of the firing line. Give them a little time and see what a good facility it is and getting better, I am sure they will appreciate any input you can provide them.

There you go- situational awareness at its finest, lol.
Thanks for the correction.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:22 am

Bill's North has brooms available - you can sweep anything you can reach from a safe position. I'm not talking about going up to the berm and pushing everything back, but I have a couple guns that shoot brass forward when it encounters the dividers of an in-door range.

Maybe the brass situation got better in the last 6 months, but the last time I went looking there wasn't any for reasonable prices. If I can't go buy more - I certainly won't be shooting it places where I can't get it back. ;)

Thank's for the correction. I'll have to check them out after all. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby Synergy on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am

Its good to hear they don't have the dreaded brasshole like Bills Robinsdale does.
Synergy

Postby LarryP on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 am

Wow! A new range opens and some need to bash it. :( Give them a chance to get it running like they want.
LarryP

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:10 pm

OK I was at the new range today and will give you the facts first, then impressions.

Facts:
1. The range has 10 lanes
2. Cost without a membership is $15 per person, sharing a lane or not.
3. The range is on a flat slab, so no pit to loose brass into.
4. I was able to pick up my brass and using a broom could retrieve the few in front of the line.
5. There were minimal tables in the range area to set gear,
6. They supply staple guns to attach targets to a strip of cardboard they have marked for target height
7. There are no yardage markers on the range
8. They have no gun inventory at this time.,
9. They had ammo, not sure every caliber but they did have 22lr, 9, 40 and 45.
10. The target trolley is basic forward and back, no programmable units

Impressions:
1. Lighting is good
2. The targets appear a little high when stapled to their cardboard strip
3. Not sure why you would share a lane given they don't give you a break.
4. Sign in is a little time consuming, they log your address which kind of backs them up
5. Staff seemed nice enough, profession and polite
6. Traffic was minimal, signage to find the place is almost nonexistent - Google it before you leave.
mmcnx2

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 am

There's a lot of pricing info on their website http://www.targetsportsmn.com

$15 must be a promo rate for the opening? Online they list rates as:
    $20.00 for one person
    $30.00 for two people sharing a lane
    $45.00 for three people sharing a lane

Rental guns are $15, says check back later for a list.

Cheapest one year membership is $300 which gets you $8 range fee. So if normal price is actually $20 you'll have to go at least 25 times to break even. If normal price stays at $15 you'll have to go about 43 times in a year to break even. For $1000 a year you have no range fees and I assume "w/ next lane placement" means if it's busy you get to butt in line. Personally I think the first time someone walked in after me and got a lane before me I would walk out and never go back.
grimbeaver

Postby dleong on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:29 am

How far back do the targets run? 25 yards?
dleong

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:14 am

dleong wrote:How far back do the targets run? 25 yards?

Their website says 25 yards.
grimbeaver

Postby 2in2out on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:51 pm

I think it's cool to have new ranges opening up after so many firearms and ammo have been sold. Maybe those new gun owners will take advantage of the nice new clean facilities and start practicing. It also gives me more options, though they keep getting father away from this part of the state.

I wish them well! :bravo:
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby sglatzel on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:30 am

All 10 lanes are open and ready to shoot, no time limit within reason.

Rental guns arrived on Thursday and should be ready soon.

Open 9 to 9 daily and 12 to 6 on Sunday
sglatzel

Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Postby deadarrow on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Just got back from the new range in Rogers. Very nice. Clean, good acoustics. Slab floor so you can pick up your brass. Not easy to find. I'd go back for sure.
deadarrow

Postby old558 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 am

deadarrow wrote:Just got back from the new range in Rogers. Very nice. Clean, good acoustics. Slab floor so you can pick up your brass. Not easy to find. I'd go back for sure.

+1, I had a very good experience and was even asked for suggestions that might help, I will be going back. :D
old558

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat