Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Postby Randygmn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:10 pm

I went today with my buddy up to Target Sports Minnesota, the new pistol range in Rogers. The range is located in a strip mall style building and the entrance is around the back off highway 101. You will miss it if you aren't paying attention.

The front retail section is completely empty, aside from a few T shirts for sale. Not completely unexpected since they just opened yesterday, Friday Dec 20th. I went in around 11am and we had the place to ourselves. The girl behind the counter was nice and new most of the answers to my questions. At this time they do NOT have any firearms to sell, or more importantly, to rent. That was disappointing. My friend is in the process of trying to figure out what to carry and there was a gun or two that we wanted to try that was unavailable at Bill's, specifically the Bersa thunder. Of course, I had my carry piece so we had something to shoot. It looked like they had ammo for sale, but of course, no .380 ammo. There's no excuse for that, IMO, for a few reasons. With months of lead time, they should've at least had ammo in the caliber of the fastest selling caliber in the country. At worst, they should've gone to cabelas or gander to buy at retail and resell without a profit until their supplies come in. I purchased 750 rounds at gander last week in bulk 250 round cases, so I know they have it. And after the range, I picked up 300 rounds of Herters from Cabelas for $16 a box. Ultimately, I'm glad I had brought a few hundred rounds with me, or the trip there would've been rather sour for me and forced me to go shopping and then come back to the range.

Inside the double doors, it was a different story. I agree that the current space is small, with about a dozen stalls, but they have plans to expand into the space next door when the business there vacates. Another fellow came in to shoot what I imagine was a .45 and the sound was quite manageable. They have black acoustic panels everywhere, and that helps diminish the sound, substantially. They also have a state of the art air filtration system that leaves no smoke or smell behind. I'm curious to see how that holds up when the place is at capacity for hours at a time. This is my biggest issue with Bills. To me, it will be worth the ride to Rogers (from St Louis Park) for a noticeable difference in air quality. Overall, the inside of the range seemed too dimly lit. I advised the range manager to consider additional lighting in the stalls. The last thing anyone needs in such a critical place is low light conditions. He agreed. The overhead target system is great. They supply tape and staplers at all the lanes to affix the targets to existing cardboard in hopes that people will be able to refrain from shooting down their cables and equipment. It's great in theory, but the novices are still going to shoot the floor and ceiling, as well as everything in between. They've yet to mark off distances down range, but promised to do so in the near future.

My first impressions were very good. Unfortunately for me, (but good for the business owner), I imagine this place will be very busy, ALL OF THE TIME, once word gets out. The close proximity to cabelas and gander was simply genius. Only time will tell if they can keep it as clean and smoke free as it was today. If not, the 30 mile trip won't make sense for people in the cities. They said they should have firearms to rent or sell within the next week or 2. I'm skeptical because of the holidays and anyone interested should probably call first. I asked about the age restrictions, because it went unmentioned on their website. Happy to report its 10 and up, with a parent or guardian. We need places our children can learn about responsible gun ownership/usage. Preserving our 2A rights will most probably be in the hands of the next generation. Teach your children well.

Congrats to the new range owners. I wish them the best of luck. I purchased a 30 day membership so I'll be coming a lot over the next month. Happy and safe shooting.

Randy
PS: I forget to add: they should probably post their holiday hours alongside their already posted regular hours, if they plan on having any closures during the next 2 weeks.
Randygmn

Re: Went to new range in Rogers- Target Sports Minnesota (review

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for the report. How much are their range fees and 30 day pass?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 pm

What happens to your brass there?
FJ540

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:56 pm

They give it to me 8-)
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Randygmn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:40 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Thanks for the report. How much are their range fees and 30 day pass?

I think it's $20 per person if sharing a lane. I'm not sure because it seemed more economical to buy the 30 day pass for $30 and pay $8 for the range visit and $7 for my partner. So instead of paying $40, I paid $47, got him free eyes and ears, 3 free targets and get the same discounts throughout the remainder of the month.

Of course, they have silver, gold and platinum packages ranging from $300 to $1000.
Can't believe I forgot to mention pricing.
Randygmn

Postby Rodentman on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Always good to have new ranges, even though that one is way too far for me.
Rodentman

Postby Randygmn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:05 pm

FJ540 wrote:What happens to your brass there?

I don't know the answer to that, I'm sorry. I don't reload yet, so I personally wasn't concerned. Presumably, it's being collected, of course.
Randygmn

Postby Spartan on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Just like Randygmn I too visited the new range in Rogers. My impression is about the same as his.
It seems very nice.
Spartan

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Is it a pit like Robinsdale where you can't get it back if it goes down there, or is it just an open floor where you can sweep it back and pick it up?

This wasn't a difficult question. :P
FJ540

Postby Synergy on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:16 pm

I emailed them a while back asking about picking up brass and have yet to get a reply.
Synergy

Postby Randygmn on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm

FJ540 wrote:Is it a pit like Robinsdale where you can't get it back if it goes down there, or is it just an open floor where you can sweep it back and pick it up?

This wasn't a difficult question. :P

It's most definitely a pit so you can NOT retrieve fallen brass.

I had made your question out to be more complex than it was, I suppose. I envision you with a tarp, or perhaps coming at closing time with a 55 gallon barrel, wearing a sign, "I'll sweep for brass". J/k btw. I'd expect that they already have a deal in place for a brass collector. Give them a call to confirm.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:07 am

Nope, I won't be calling them. I also won't be shooting there. Thanks for sparing me the trip. :)
FJ540

Postby SparkyJeff on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:04 am

Welcome to the forum!
Nice review, thanks for taking the time.
I understand that you do not yet reload, but if you're interested in doing it, the first baby step in the process is collecting spent brass. Simple and relatively safe- ziploc bag and a hand wash is all you need, and washing your hands shouldn't even need to be mentioned
I simply collect all of the unclaimed brass that I find. I might never find myself trying to load 45GAP, but I might find somebody who does, or I might do like TH3180 and recycle it for the Ron McD house.
I'm sure you are correct that their close proximity to GM and Cabelas will help them out.
I haven't ever taken any newly acquired gun to the range without bringing it home for cleaning/inspection, but I'm sure that many people are not as cautious.
Thanks again for the great review.
Jeff
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby SparkyJeff on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:07 am

FJ540 wrote:Nope, I won't be calling them. I also won't be shooting there. Thanks for sparing me the trip. :)

I might not make a SPECIAL trip to Rogers, but I'll likely be in the area, and my curiosity will force a visit on me.
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby sglatzel on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:20 am

Just to clarify a few items. While .380's might not be in the store now I heard that more stock is arriving after the first. For those needing something special stop at Cabela's or Gander Mountain like I did to get 10mm. They do have a huge amount of 9mm and 22lr, never seen that much in a long time.

Just having been open for 2 days as of now, it takes a little fine tuning to complete some tasks, give them some time and see what happens. What happened the last time you moved into a new house, get everything unpacked and put away away on the same day, I moved on the first of this month and I am still looking for things. Floor and wall stripes probably as soon as the contractor can get them done. I heard they didn't have full access to move in until Friday and got the basics ready just before they opened the doors. The holiday hours are on their web site, closed on the 25th and the 1st.

The entire facility looks to be on the same level slab, the RO that I talked to says that you may keep your brass but can't go forward of the firing line, they have paper targets there, they don't need human ones. There is no "pit" like Bill's has. Their range fees and memberships are posted, 30 day pass is $30 plus $8 dollars to shoot, second shooter is discounted rate. Non member price is $20. No time limit within reason. Classes will begin soon, I think I heard CCW starts on the 28th of December.

Again there is no "pit", you can sweep your own brass, but you can't go forward of the firing line. Give them a little time and see what a good facility it is and getting better, I am sure they will appreciate any input you can provide them.
sglatzel

Next

Return to General Gun Chat