Shipping guns?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Shipping guns?

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 am

I am holding on to two long guns for a friend of mine back east. He inherited them from his father in law and I'm just hanging on to them for safekeeping until he was ready to receive them. He's buying a small safe this weekend and is ready for me to ship them. This isn't a transfer since he owns them already. The guns are legal where he resides.

What's the easiest way to do that? I was going to buy a cheap plastic hard sided case, wrap the guns securely, and take it to UPS? FedEx? Since they are long guns, USPS? What do I need to declare on the shipping forms? How much would a gun store charge to wrap and ship them? Overall, just any tips on the shipping side of things?

Thanks,

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Re: Shipping guns?

Postby JJ on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 am

Only he can ship them to himself. If you are shipping them to him, you will need to ship to a dealer to perform a 4473

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:40 am

JJ wrote:Only he can ship them to himself. If you are shipping them to him, you will need to ship to a dealer to perform a 4473

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So if he pays for the shipping, and sends you all the paperwork to do it with his name on it as both sender and receiver, will that work??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby solidgun on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:21 pm

The firearm must be dropped off by the owner and received by the owner for this to be valid. I didn't request a letter, but got the answer through ATF.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:22 am

Bitter Bastard wrote:This isn't a transfer since he owns them already.

He may still own them, but they were transferred to your care and control and especially since you know what they are you would be breaking the law by shipping them direct. Legally speaking, you will either need to ship them through a FFL or he will need to return to ship them to himself or bring them with him on the plane. Sorry.

What he could have possibly done is left a box of unknown items at your residence - boxed up and addressed to his new home - then sent a UPS call tag to pick them up when he was ready for them.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby photogpat on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 am

Squib Joe wrote:
Bitter Bastard wrote:This isn't a transfer since he owns them already.

He may still own them, but they were transferred to your care and control and especially since you know what they are you would be breaking the law by shipping them direct. Legally speaking, you will either need to ship them through a FFL or he will need to return to ship them to himself or bring them with him on the plane. Sorry.

What he could have possibly done is left a box of unknown items at your residence - boxed up and addressed to his new home - then sent a UPS call tag to pick them up when he was ready for them.

Joe - you're all right! :lol:
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Return to General Gun Chat