Steel target shapes and sizes

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Steel target shapes and sizes

Postby Scratch on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Depending on how much cash I can swing... I'm looking at getting some steel targets for my range. I'll be using them for handgun mostly, and in the "below 30 yard" range, (some closer) but a few gongs thrown in for some long range rifle shots too.

Yes, They'll be made from AR500, yes I'll be shooting them from the safe distances, yes they'll be angled down if possible, yes we'll be wearing eye pro, no to steel core etc...

But I'm wondering what sizes and shapes are used a lot for competitions, training classes etc...

I know I want some 2/3 size torso targets, a couple large gongs for long range rifle, and some poppers to activate swingers. (Don't know if I should go with small or large poppers though), but not sure if I should go with square or circles, and what sizes. I'll probably mount most of them on some sort of movable stand, so they don't need to be reset all the time, but may also get a couple that will fall too. The poppers will be on a hinged base.

I'm leaning towards 8" rounds but am willing to hear your thoughts.

What size and shapes do you guys mostly see?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Steel target shapes and sizes

Postby CarRacer on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:49 pm

The 8" round ones make a great sound when you hit them but the ones I plan on purchasing are the 6" knock down targets. They were extremely challenging to hit quickly and accurately at the 2 Gun last fall and aside from the base you pound into the ground there is no hardware to damage or mess around with. Just set the steel on the base to reset.

http://www.shootsteel.com/ar500-knock-down-target-6-square/
CarRacer

Postby karlobag on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:35 pm

I shoot 4", 6" and 8" static and gong style rounds but my favorite ones are these:

http://www.shootsteel.com/3-8-ar500-ste ... et-7x11-8/

and the static

http://www.shootsteel.com/3-8-ar500-ste ... -8-static/
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby MNGunGuy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

CarRacer wrote:The 8" round ones make a great sound when you hit them but the ones I plan on purchasing are the 6" knock down targets. They were extremely challenging to hit quickly and accurately at the 2 Gun last fall and aside from the base you pound into the ground there is no hardware to damage or mess around with. Just set the steel on the base to reset.

I think the squares MN3GUN uses are 4" but yeah, they can be challenging to hit at speed.

Steve, what I've seen locally is a lot of poppers in various sizes, 4-6" steel rounds/squares with 66% IPSC targets mixed in. Of course there's trees and stars as well. Brian Payne has "spinner" targets that are sweet for shotgun but given your relatively close neighbors those might not be the best idea.

I'm guessing you are going to do the fab yourself? If so going with a reactive style setup would give an extra level of challenge for the IPSC's.
MNGunGuy

Postby tazdevil on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:55 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:
CarRacer wrote:The 8" round ones make a great sound when you hit them but the ones I plan on purchasing are the 6" knock down targets. They were extremely challenging to hit quickly and accurately at the 2 Gun last fall and aside from the base you pound into the ground there is no hardware to damage or mess around with. Just set the steel on the base to reset.

I think the squares MN3GUN uses are 4" but yeah, they can be challenging to hit at speed.

Steve, what I've seen locally is a lot of poppers in various sizes, 4-6" steel rounds/squares with 66% IPSC targets mixed in. Of course there's trees and stars as well. Brian Payne has "spinner" targets that are sweet for shotgun but given your relatively close neighbors those might not be the best idea.

I'm guessing you are going to do the fab yourself? If so going with a reactive style setup would give an extra level of challenge for the IPSC's.

Some are 3 inch square IIRC. If I make this wknd I'll bring a ruler.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby MNGunGuy on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:32 pm

tazdevil wrote:Some are 3 inch square IIRC. If I make this wknd I'll bring a ruler.

That'd be great! Shootsteel won't make squares smaller than 6" unless you order $1000 or more. MGM sells 4" squares. Anyone know of others that sell squares in the 4" area?
MNGunGuy

Postby Scratch on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:07 pm

So this is what I'm planning...This is a 4' X 10' sheet. Not sure if I should cut holes in the 4" and smaller ones though. I could weld bases on them and use them for fallers. All holes will be 5/8" square and could be used for carriage bolts or shepards hook style hooks. What do you all think?

I'll still have a 48" X 31" piece left over for more targets... Or I could duct tape it to my chest for body armor, when I go to Walmart, I have gained a few pounds...

image.jpg
Scratch

Postby SparkyJeff on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 pm

Check out shootsteel.com
A fight for liberty somewhere, is a fight for liberty everywhere.
SparkyJeff

Postby cobb on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:04 am

Here is a Minnesota guy.
http://customsteeltargets.com/

Had a display of his stuff at the Wells gun show for the past couple years.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby DoxaPar on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:38 am

May sound like an obvious note, but remember, if you get the knock-down ones you still gotta pick 'em up before the next round of shooting.

The walking back and forth gets to be a pain.
DoxaPar

Postby Scratch on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:45 am

Yeah I've checked out those two places, and looked at a bunch of other target makers too. They all sell so many different shapes and sizes though. I understand it's really preference, and distance, but was hoping to get some ideas of what are more common at matches.

DoxaPar wrote:May sound like an obvious note, but remember, if you get the knock-down ones you still gotta pick 'em up before the next round of shooting.

The walking back and forth gets to be a pain.

I know. The main reason I'm making these are to use up the steel.
Scratch

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:39 am

Have you considered the Steel Challenge courses of fire? You can set up all various stages with 4 - 10" circles, 5 - 12" circles, and 4 - 18" x 24" rectangles.
Jackpine Savage

Postby shooter115 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 am

What are you looking to do with your targets? 3-gun/USPSA training or casual shooting. Because I primarily shoot 3-gun my back yard range has probably 20+ of the 4" square knock downs. I never shoot them at more than 30 yards so reset isn't a big deal. I also have several 6-8" round plates with a single hole that I hang from shepherd's hooks to duplicate plate racks etc. For cheap effective stands for the knock downs, I just cut rebar to various lengths and weld 2x2 square plate to one end. This summer I'll be adding some scaled down IPSC's and some auto poppers to the rifle range.
shooter115

Postby Scratch on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 am

We do a lot of IDPA style shooting, some 100-300 yd rifle shooting, but also do some 3 gun style practice too. Hopefully getting into a little more 3 gun stuff. Although I don't have a ton of room out here so a 3 gun course would be very limited.

I like the idea of the steel challenge courses and hadn't thought of that, thanks for that suggestion, not sure why I didn't think of it. I don't know if I can get another sheet at the same price I got though so I may have to hold off on those big rectangles.
Scratch

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

tazdevil wrote:Some are 3 inch square IIRC. If I make this wknd I'll bring a ruler.

Jomar got back to me and said the squares were 5". Let me know if he's right. :D

Scratch wrote:Yeah I've checked out those two places, and looked at a bunch of other target makers too. They all sell so many different shapes and sizes though. I understand it's really preference, and distance, but was hoping to get some ideas of what are more common at matches.

I know. The main reason I'm making these are to use up the steel.

Steve, I'm waiting to hear back from OGC on using these there but if they approve it Andy and I will be looking for (8) 5" squares on bases. We'd be happy to send the money your way vs someone else if you're looking for ideas on how to burn up a sheet.
MNGunGuy

Next

Return to General Gun Chat