Range Finders, what are some good ones?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby sak1782 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey all,

I was using my brothers Nikon Range finder a few weeks ago, and decided I would like to pick one up of my own.

What do you all use/like, and what are some to stay away from?
sak1782

Re: Range Finders, what are some good ones?

Postby farmerj on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:19 pm

I have an older Nikon 600 that suits my needs. Never seen a need to buy anything more.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Bushnell was one of the original companies to make commercial LRFs. They still make a solid product and I would recommend them. Otherwise, look at a Leica or Zeiss for a quality option.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby cs tunes on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm

I have an older bushnell 1000 and it has worked well for me for coming up on 15 years. Used mine mostly for prairie dogs. Beyond 800 it is very tough to range something that small (even the mound was tough) without a tripod. Up to there it was pretty effective. Never ranged anything real world shooting at 1000 with it but it'll range a truck that far away.
The above mentioned upper end models would be great and even a new bushnell is probably miles ahead of mine. But mine still works so that must mean something I guess.
cs tunes

Postby dtapper2 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:33 pm

I've got a Nikon Prostaff 5. Works great for what I use it for (a little target practice but mostly hunting). Easy to read and use and packs up decently compact. If you're looking for a really compact LRF, I would recommend a Luepold RX-600i.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby azonesolutions on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 pm

I've used bushnell, leoupold, and finally spent the money to get one I'm happy with - Leica. Understand that generally the actual useful range will be much less than advertised.
azonesolutions

Postby crbutler on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 am

The one I like best is the Leica Geovid. A little pricey but its a 10X (or 8x) binocular with laser ranging.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:01 am

I picked up a vortex ranger 1000. Here is a link to the cheapest place I found them...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... inder.html
Glass is very clear. Never owned one so cannot compare it to anything but am pleased with it. Life time warranty too.
Bearcatrp

Postby Slayer_MN1 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm

I can't believe no one has asked this yet, what will you be using it for the most?

For me, I prefer my Ziess victory PRF 8x26. It works better for me than my Nikon 800 monarch as it has much better optical clarity and being led display vs LCD it does much better in low light. It's rated for I think 1300 yards but on reflective objects (like vehicles) I've gotten consistent readings out to a little past 1450yds.

It's a little bulky but at 8 power and as clear as it is it replaces my compact binoculars while bow hunting fields.

Eurooptic.com is a great place to buy them and they cost $529 if I remember correctly.

Steve
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants, and patriots."

Aquitas et Veritas
Slayer_MN1

Postby arizona98tj on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm

I use a Zeiss victory PRF 8x26 also. Are there other brands available? :shock:

It is rated for 1300 yds and while using it at a precision rifle class, it consistently and accurately ranged metal targets at 1200+ yards. The targets were set using a surveying GPS so the distance was known. Didn't have much past that to verify its maximum effective range.
arizona98tj

Postby bucktail on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone besides me have trouble with their Leica not working when it's cold? I have a Leica 1200 that works great if you keep it warm. One of the guys from elk camp runs a Bushnell that he likes.
bucktail

Postby bucktail on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:02 am

regardless of what you get, I'd spring for one with the scanning mode. When you're way out, and try to put the reticle on what you're trying to range and hit the button, the reticle usually moves off of it. Or you can put it into scanning mode and run the reticle around and it keeps reading.
bucktail

Postby Hmac on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:22 am

Nikon ProStaff 5 here too. Works fine, very compact. Accuracy appears to be good and it's very repeatable. All I need.
Hmac

Return to General Gun Chat