Quick question- need answer, please

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Quick question- need answer, please

Postby Randygmn on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Does anyone know if the Excel center is posted (I assume it is) and if so, what are their security measures (wand, metal detectors, pat down).

I'm taking my daughter to the Wild game tonight. Got last minute tickets and have never been there.

Thanks for the help!!
Randy
Randygmn

Re: Quick question- need answer, please

Postby BigBlue on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:57 pm

They had none of that for a recent Swarm game. I always worry about my pocket knife but there was no checking happening. Doesn't mean Wild might not do things differently, of course.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:59 pm

They wand. Would not recommend carrying unless you get there early enough to return to your car and secure your firearm before the game starts.

I was there on Saturday. Didn't carry. Had my Emerson full size commander in my pocket with my keys. They didn't notice.
Mn01r6

Postby dupa on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:21 pm

I've never had a security concern at the exel. Park by the science museum and walk through the skyway. Grew up in St. Paul work in St. Paul. Never carry more than a little pepper spray never had to use it
dupa

Postby Randygmn on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks folks. I found the answers on a post in the "gun free zone" section. It was a little olde and made no mention of wands. I just moved to Minnesota recently and am unfamiliar with St Paul in general. I've heard it can be a little rough. Seemed ok when I went to a gun show at the excel a few months ago. But that was during the day.

I really don't like going to a heavily trafficked area unarmed. Too many unknown people and many of them drunk. With that said, I'd normally pass up going instead of leaving my firearm in the car. But my 12 year old has been asking for me to take her to her first hockey game for a long time. And with free tickets I can't really say no. Especially after taking her to the range (for the first time ever) each of the last 2 days. I guess I'll have to surrender my firearm tonight
I wonder if the other 20,000 people will know..........
Randygmn

Postby tenmilmag on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 pm

I guess I'll have to surrender my firearm tonight
I wonder if the other 20,000 people will know..........[/quote]

At least a couple hundred who have read this thread will know :)

Enjoy the game!
tenmilmag

Postby Randygmn on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Well, I went unarmed. Didn't see any signs at the entrance I went in. They did have announcements over the loudspeakers piped outside saying guns were prohibited, though. Inside, security had wands. They were woefully untrained and I suppose I could have walked right in with a Javelin shoulder fired missile launcher. The guy didn't even wand me, lol.

Did see a few armed police officers inside. Still, the situation was ripe for a demented person to inflict a lot of harm on a lot of unprepared people. Not my kind of environment. Oh, and the Wild stunk last night. Daughter loved it anyway, lol.

Thanks for the help, guys!!
Randygmn

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:51 pm

I went to the North Star College Cup there and they were only patting down. Guy didn't even do a good job, if I had been carrying he would have completely missed it.
grimbeaver

Postby ex-LT on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I went to the North Star College Cup there and they were only patting down. Guy didn't even do a good job, if I had been carrying he would have completely missed it.

Ditto with the B1G tournament last weekend.

Attended the Wild-Canadiens game on Nov 1, too, and I don't recall being wanded then, either.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Randygmn wrote:Well, I went unarmed. Didn't see any signs at the entrance I went in.

The signs are plaques affixed to the side of the building next to the entrances that say the building operator bans guns unless the tenant directs otherwise. Or some such nonsense.

ETA, Anyone know who is the actual building tenant for the Northstar College Cup? Seems to me it would be one of the schools involved which would prevent them from banning by state law.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:27 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:
Randygmn wrote:Well, I went unarmed. Didn't see any signs at the entrance I went in.

The signs are plaques affixed to the side of the building next to the entrances that say the building operator bans guns unless the tenant directs otherwise. Or some such nonsense.

ETA, Anyone know who is the actual building tenant for the Northstar College Cup? Seems to me it would be one of the schools involved which would prevent them from banning by state law.

ummm...I thought ticketed events were different? Can you actually carry at a Mankato state football game and not get kicked out?
Mn01r6

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:08 am

By law yes, but someone would have to bring suit that their rights under 624.714 were violated by being forced to leave. You'd pretty much have to get the guards on tape saying the only reason you're being asked to leave is because of the firearm.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Mn01r6 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:29 am

And then you would be asking a judge to agree with a fairly absurd conclusion that a ticketed event is a "public place"
Mn01r6

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 am

EAJuggalo wrote:ETA, Anyone know who is the actual building tenant for the Northstar College Cup? Seems to me it would be one of the schools involved which would prevent them from banning by state law.

I would assume it would be MnSCU and MnSCU rules apply to 'system property' which they define as:
Subpart E. System property. "System property" means the facilities and land owned, leased, or under the primary control of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, its Board of Trustees, system office, colleges, and universities.
So I would guess the same rules that apply on a campus would apply to any off-site event in a space they lease. The question is when they have an event like that is it 'leased' or do they have 'primary control'?
grimbeaver

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Why the assumption of MNSCU? Only two of the four teams involved this year were MNSCU schools. If it were we would still have the tenant of the building being an organization prohibited from banning firearms by state statute, which trumps their "rules."
EAJuggalo

Return to General Gun Chat