Short rant re: Bill's

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Short rant re: Bill's

Postby connsolo on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 am

Today I arrived at Bills robins dale just prior to 9 am. There were several people waiting to shoot. Not shop, not attend the gun show, but to shoot their own guns. The clock ticks away. Opening time comes. Nothing. Five minutes go by. The door opens. A bill's employee peeks out, says nothing to the people standing there with range bags and rifles in soft cases, obviously there to shoot. He ducks back inside. More minutes tick away. A truck then pulls in. A Bill's employee goes to enter the building and addresses the group of 8 standing there, clearly there to shoot. He goes on to tell everyone that 1) no shooting today, lanes reserved for gun show shooters 2) they won't open until 10 3) if you want to shoot your own guns go to bills in circle pines 20 minutes away.

People were waiting far longer than I was. How hard is it to put a sign on the door so your regular customers know that the lanes aren't open? And how hard is it for an employee, upon seeing people there with guns in cases, to tell them they can't shoot today? Does it really take a manager to do that?

I'm going to BPR.
connsolo

Re: Short rant re: Bill's

Postby Pat on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 am

Just talk to the owner. Things will be set straight.

Have been going to Bill's for years and have never had a problem with the management. Joe will break his backside to help you choose and order a gun at an excellent price.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 am

Maybe he honestly didn't know. I wouldn't get too mad over it.
Sigfan220

Postby bensdad on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:11 am

You should have your husband go over there and kick somebody's ass. :P
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby justinvan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:18 am

I am sure that sucked a bit... but like others have said, Bills will try to make right what ever may be wrong in my past experiences.
justinvan

Postby connsolo on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:39 pm

I went to bpr instead. Nice lanes, friendly staff.
connsolo

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:52 pm

I won't step foot back in to bills since I almost suffered a heat stroke there in December. That was just the final straw after a long list of many complaints.

I've since bought a membership at target sports in Rogers. Sure it's a bit farther but the facility is much better by a wide margin. I have nothing bad to say about Bills, just that their facility is not for me.
Randygmn

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:14 pm

While it may not be popular with some here, I'm also not a Bill's fan. I've been spoken to rudely, ignored and treated like knob, before even paying for a lane. And while I'm sure I could complain to someone and in time someone might fix their customer service but I really don't think it is my job to help them run their business. And I'm sure there are 'regulars' that get special service, but as a guy that goes to a range about twice a month my experience was routinely disappointing at Bill's.

Customer service is a differentiating attribute in business, Bill's has an issue with the personality of the folks they hire - many are smart alack kids that don't have a clue, they assume your a problem or dumb, and they are more interested in talking with their buddies than actually working. If Bills really wanted to improve things all they would have to do is a few blind customer experiences and they would quickly learn how big the problem is.

Instead I'll go to Target Sports or Lakes Trading and be greeted like a paying customer, asked if they could do anything for me and thanked for my business on the way out. The people working in these business actually seem pleased to be there and enjoy making my experience safe and fun.
mmcnx2

Postby JTapper on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Randygmn wrote:I won't step foot back in to bills since I almost suffered a heat stroke there in December.

Not trying to rock the boat, but I don't understand how that is their fault.
JTapper

Postby Randygmn on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:30 pm

JTapper wrote:
Randygmn wrote:I won't step foot back in to bills since I almost suffered a heat stroke there in December.

Not trying to rock the boat, but I don't understand how that is their fault.

Well, apparently when it gets sub zero outside, Bills (robinsdale) has no way to regulate their run away heat indoors. I'm not talking about just a little bit of warm here. And, the staff AND owner is aware of the problem but have failed to fix it.

It's all fun and games until someone gets dizzy (like myself), starts sweating profusely (like myself) and passes out at the line with a loaded pistol in their hands. I left before the trifecta.
Randygmn

Postby Spartan on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Bills gun shop and range is a business ...... John is honest as an owner and he is capitalist. It has been cleared advertised they were having the shooter show at Robbinsdale ..... I would not have imagined shooting there w/ the show going on .... Bills North is just 20 minutes away as is Target and BPR...... 40 minutes to Forest Lake .....

What grievance do you really have with Bills ? You failed to be informed...... sure maybe the employees could have said something but they are employees....... not paid to think and make policy decisions ..... are out anything ? are you injured in any way ? what possible damages do you have ? You failed to be informed .....

Bills has always been consistent with pricing and treatment of the public..... don't make an issue where there isn't one ...... it like going to the movies and finding out they sold out on the internet ....
Spartan

Postby 2in2out on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:08 pm

I think it would have been nice for the first employee to let those people know what was going on, and also a sign posted on the door.

Related, in that it might resolve surprises like this: Do any metro ranges take lane reservations?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby connsolo on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Spartan wrote:Bills gun shop and range is a business ...... John is honest as an owner and he is capitalist. It has been cleared advertised they were having the shooter show at Robbinsdale ..... I would not have imagined shooting there w/ the show going on .... Bills North is just 20 minutes away as is Target and BPR...... 40 minutes to Forest Lake .....

What grievance do you really have with Bills ? You failed to be informed...... sure maybe the employees could have said something but they are employees....... not paid to think and make policy decisions ..... are out anything ? are you injured in any way ? what possible damages do you have ? You failed to be informed .....

Bills has always been consistent with pricing and treatment of the public..... don't make an issue where there isn't one ...... it like going to the movies and finding out they sold out on the internet ....

Yes, it is a business that failed a regular customer. I will now take my business elsewhere. Why? Because they failed to inform me, because they made me waste my time and gas, because they inconvenienced me, because they could have avoided it by making the smallest effort. For me, getting away to the range takes a lot of schedule juggling. I don't take such screw ups lightly.

I really like a couple of the guys who work there, and I am typically forgiving of the duds on their staff. They seem to have pretty regular turnover, esp downstairs. However,"Hey, sorry folks, we don't open until 10 today, and all lanes are reserved" is not thinking or making a policy decision. It is simply not having your head up you a$$. But hey, maybe you're right. Maybe that's too much to ask. They're not the only range or gunshop around, and freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.
connsolo

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Spartan wrote:.... sure maybe the employees could have said something but they are employees....... not paid to think .....

Really? With that insight no wonder businesses go down with a swirl. As a businessman not only do I expect employees to think, I expect them to understand the business, strive to improve the customer experience and take accountability for their decisions.

And for a business that went out of their way to update their social media with event details adding a comment about the range being closed for open shooting not only would have it been thoughtful but shown they appreciate their normal business.

Sorry just another example of amateur management and inadequate staff running the place.
mmcnx2

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:20 pm

IF they were regular customers they would have known that the Shooter show was going on this weekend and they would have known that there is never open lanes during the Shooters show. As far as the heat, before they added the extra heaters you had very cold air blowing form behind. If this is all it takes to put a bee in your bonnet........makes it easyer for me to get a lane later.
Sorcerer

Next

Return to General Gun Chat