Un-Real!!!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Un-Real!!!

Postby lizard55033 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 pm

Went into Gander Mountain for my fishing license and happen to wander through the firearms area...

:o :o :o I really hade a hard time believing what I was seeing. Glock 21 gen 4 for over $700 as well as a standard Glock 30 (not the SF or the s) for $750... Un-Real!
lizard55033

Re: Un-Real!!!

Postby ex-LT on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:34 pm

And now you know why we not-so-affectionately call them "Gouger Mountain"
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby george on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm

That way you only need one sucker to make the profit of five sales. :o
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby FJ540 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm still baffled they sell any guns. I can see maybe having a premium on something that's rare or somehow hard to acquire; but for defacto inventory in any of a dozen different retailers, they're consistently at the top of the pricing and have crappy service - so there's no value added to justify it.
FJ540

Postby Rodentman on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:42 pm

I think a large % of people gravitate to the big box stores thinking they'll get a better deal or more knowledgeable clerks. We know it aint so.
Rodentman

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Rodentman wrote:I think a large % of people gravitate to the big box stores thinking they'll get a better deal or more knowledgeable clerks. We know it aint so.

I think that's a big part of it.

Also, someone totally green, and not knowing anyone to take along, might well feel intimidated by going into one of the small shops, where, at first blush everyone seems to know everyone, as well as everything.
Many otherwise knowledgable people don't know about buying online.

And there's a GM in nearly every suburb and med size town…

And then there are those who pay sticker price for cars :cogitating:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby smurfman on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:18 pm

What is even better is the SMLE No 4 MK 1 priced at $1400 they have floating around. I've seen it at Farmington, Blaine, and Cottage Grove over the last 4 years or so. It is a not uncommon U.S. Property marked gun made by Savage.

I have asked several different times what makes that particular rifle so valuable, did old Wilber himself carry it? Other than some blabber about the U.S. marked guns being rare (rare enough I bought 4 from Fleet Farm for under $90 a decade or so ago) they know nothing about it. I wish I could have found the guy who bought that one, I would have sold the FF guns to him at a decent profit.

That is not to mention the Bubba'd Model of 1917 and Krags they have for similar prices.
smurfman

Postby DanM on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 pm

smurfman wrote:What is even better is the SMLE No 4 MK 1 priced at $1400 they have floating around. I've seen it at Farmington, Blaine, and Cottage Grove over the last 4 years or so. It is a not uncommon U.S. Property marked gun made by Savage.

I have asked several different times what makes that particular rifle so valuable, did old Wilber himself carry it? Other than some blabber about the U.S. marked guns being rare (rare enough I bought 4 from Fleet Farm for under $90 a decade or so ago) they know nothing about it. I wish I could have found the guy who bought that one, I would have sold the FF guns to him at a decent profit.

That is not to mention the Bubba'd Model of 1917 and Krags they have for similar prices.

Sorry, it is not an SMLE. Only the No 1 Mk (whatever) is considered an SMLE.

Brief partial history of British battle rifles;

In 1895 the Lee-Metford (British convention was to use the name of the action designer followed by the name of the barrel/rifling designer) was upgraded to fire the smokeless powder and higher pressure .303 cartridge. This rifle was abbreviated the MLM (Magazine Lee Metford). Because the Metford rifling would be shot out by 5,000 rounds the barrel/rifling design was changed to a design offered by the Enfield armory. This rifle was abbreviated the MLE (Magazine Lee Enfield). These rifles were nearly 50 inches long overall as was common with black powder arms. Soon after the turn of the century the Short Magazine Lee Enfield was introduced. It was 44.5 inches long as a compromise between the long rifle and the carbine. Therefore the 'Short' nomenclature given to distinguish the rifle length. (This compromise length was consistent with the US Springfield and the Kurz (98k) Mauser rifles being produced during the same period.) So there you have the SMLE.

In 1926 the British adopted a new naming convention for rifles. They started using numbers instead of names. So the SMLE became the Rifle Number 1. Various design changes were tracked using the addition of the Mark number to the Rifle number. The most common World War 1 version of the British battle rifle was now called the Rifle Number 1 Mark III (Roman numerals for the Mark designator). Just before WW2 the British adopted a new rifle design, the Rifle Number 4. And true to form the Brits modified it before mass production into the No 4 Mk I. But it was a new design that shared few if any parts with its predecessor the No 1 Mk III. And there you have the No 4 Mk I.

By the way, Savage Arms made about 1.5 million Lee-Enfield Rifle Number 4 Mark I pattern rifles for England during WWII.

Sorry for the rant :evil: , I feel better now. :D

And to the OP, yes Gouger Mountain remaining in the retail gun business is a mystery to me as well. ;)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby hard h2o on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Not only do they stay in the gun business but they have been expanding that side of their business.
hard h2o

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 am

xd ED wrote:Also, someone totally green, and not knowing anyone to take along, might well feel intimidated by going into one of the small shops, where, at first blush everyone seems to know everyone, as well as everything.

Bingo! I started out just over a year ago and will fully agree with this statement. I think the big box stores create the illusion of being more friendly because they don't try to tell you what you need to know or care about, they just tell you the bare minimum to get the sale. The small gun shop usually takes the time to educate you and help you because they want to earn your repeat business but at the same time this can overwhelm the new shooter.
grimbeaver

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 am

hard h2o wrote:Not only do they stay in the gun business but they have been expanding that side of their business.

And now they are reducing the firearms side of their business:

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/articl ... fjBVp.dpbs
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Eleanor08 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Squib Joe wrote:
hard h2o wrote:Not only do they stay in the gun business but they have been expanding that side of their business.

Why don't they lower their prices to be more in line with the competition? It's rediculus that the "sale" prices are everywhere else's retail price. Is it really that hard to figure out? I don't understand that store.
Eleanor08

Postby xd ED on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Eleanor08 wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:

Why don't they lower their prices to be more in line with the competition? It's rediculus that the "sale" prices are everywhere else's retail price. Is it really that hard to figure out? I don't understand that store.

Yep, it don't take no rocket surgeon to figure it out. They know what the competition is and does. Their prices are higher than most, and there's no added-value service(far from it IMHO)
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Eleanor08 wrote:Why don't they lower their prices to be more in line with the competition? It's rediculus that the "sale" prices are everywhere else's retail price. Is it really that hard to figure out? I don't understand that store.

Why charge less when there are plenty of mindless sheep that will pay your higher price? Besides they have to charge more to offset that 5% discount they give you on accessories when you buy a gun. :mrgreen:
grimbeaver

Postby J No on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Occasionally a good deal there. M&p 9 full size on sale for $499. LGS wanted $550. FF $535. Buy gun and get 1400 rds of golden bullets@ .05/rd
J No

Next

Return to General Gun Chat