Steel targets

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Steel targets

Postby Scratch on Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 am

Woo hoo! Finally got some real man steel targets! No more shooting at that scary mild steel. 3/8" AR500 here baby! Now to get some stands made....

01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Steel targets

Postby jonahk on Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Whoa! Pings for days!
A75146
jonahk

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed May 21, 2014 11:39 pm

I need a new steel gong... mine is holy from 5.56mm and rifled slugs.

Sent from LG G2
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby photogpat on Thu May 22, 2014 4:57 am

forcefed and sigfan220 had a TON of blemish AR500 gongs, IDPA targets and other fun in the wearhouse the other day when I stopped in. I basically had to throw money a t them to let me leave.

Shootsteel.com

Nuff said!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby JJ on Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 am

I might have to get myself a couple of these from ShootSteel.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx_Pbz5OLnE

stupid forum will not let me embed for some reason.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby LarryFlew on Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 am

My original Shootsteel target (from way before he started shootsteel actually) has had thousands of rounds fired at it and only has one pock mark from a roufus round and it isn't even bad enough to worry about. And beautiful ball of fire it was.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby goatroper on Thu May 22, 2014 12:46 pm

+1 on the shoot steel.com steel. Only thing better than the bang, is the ping and the ring that follows.
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby Strativarius on Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 pm

I still have my original 3/8 inch AR500 plate from shootsteel.com
Probably need to get around to buying a couple more.
Great guy, great prices, great product.
Strativarius

Postby Scratch on Sun May 25, 2014 7:22 pm

Finally got a chance to test these suckers out today.
Tons of fun!

This picture is of a 2/3 torso, shot with 9mm FMJ at about 7 yards, but I did shoot another target with one .308 A-Max at 100 yards, and it's very hard to see where the hit is, once repainted. Unlike the A36 steel plate I've shot at before, that went right through...
I've heard now though, that I should be shooting a little further away away with the .308, and even further with .223 (which I'm not 100% sure why BTW...) but I'll do it from now on. I mostly shoot for distance on paper targets anyways, I got these more for handgun and shotgun work.
image.jpg

I have them angled downward, and I shoot standing on a big tarp to make it easier to save my brass. When I shoot the steel, after it rings, I can hear all the little bits of lead and jacketing falling on the tarp about 7-8 yards back. Sounds like a soft rain for about 2-3 seconds.

My mounting bracket forces them to be mounted at a downwards angle, but if I were to change it, and mount them vertical, maybe I wouldn't get as much spall falling back towards me...?

Not that it really matters, I never felt one piece hit me, although I'm sure it did. They were light and had no force behind them. I could see what looked like silver "instant potato" flakes on the ground by me, and I always wear eye pro, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Just wondering if by angling them downwards, I'm getting more spall back at me, if that's even possible...
Scratch

Steel targets

Postby xd ED on Sun May 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Maybe angle them down even more. This should drive more of the round down. Shots hitting square (vertical plate) will likely spatter in all directions. Sounds like you're shooting cast lead? Beware of copper jacket shrapnel at close distances.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby PRS on Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 pm

Arnzen Arms has Shootsteel products in there showroom.
PRS

Postby Rem700 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:27 am

Downward slope helps direct splatter into the ground, If the bullet strikes that carriage bolt used for mounting all bets are off in which direction the splatter is headed.

Also makes the plate slightly thicker amount of steel in relation to the bullets flight path, Think how sloped armor works.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby LarryFlew on Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 am

Scratch wrote:and even further with .223..............................

Although I have heard that b4 also, many if my shots on my original are 100 yard 223 without leaving a pock mark other than the one I mentioned.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby MNGunGuy on Tue May 27, 2014 1:03 pm

I bought various 3/8" gongs and poppers from Shootsteel, The Target Man and MGM this year. I hadn't planned on going with three different vendors but each had something I wanted that the others didn't. What I gathered from talking to each vendor is that while they all use AR-500 steel they each use steel with different minimum hardness levels. How that'll play out over time for recreational use will be interesting. So far I've put about 100 rounds of 5.56/.223 on each piece from 100-220 yards and they all seem to be performing equally. Softer shooting .223 doesn't leave a mark for the most part but hotter XM193 style 5.56 does on all 3. Edge hits on each will remove a small piece of steel. I figured I'd post a mini review with pictures at the end of the year when they've had more abuse. You should do the same Steve.
MNGunGuy

Postby Scratch on Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:I bought various 3/8" gongs and poppers from Shootsteel, The Target Man and MGM this year. I hadn't planned on going with three different vendors but each had something I wanted that the others didn't. What I gathered from talking to each vendor is that while they all use AR-500 steel they each use steel with different minimum hardness levels. How that'll play out over time for recreational use will be interesting. So far I've put about 100 rounds of 5.56/.223 on each piece from 100-220 yards and they all seem to be performing equally. Softer shooting .223 doesn't leave a mark for the most part but hotter XM193 style 5.56 does on all 3. Edge hits on each will remove a small piece of steel. I figured I'd post a mini review with pictures at the end of the year when they've had more abuse. You should do the same Steve.

I will, especially since the steel I'm using has been CNC plasma cut, and not by a laser or water jet table. I'm curious to see the difference, if any... I've heard that in order for it to qualify for AR500 steel, it has to rate on the BNH scale between 504 and 519, according to my supplier, mine was rated at 509 but is stamped at 500.... Hmmmm... Maybe that was just a classification at the steel mill...

I've also talked with a rep from Hypertherm plasma cutters (Jim Colt) who told me that the HAZ of my torch should only be affecting about 0.1 inch of the edge and therefore should have no effect on the hardness of the steel.

I guess we'll find out as they get shot but so far, I'm happy with it!
Scratch

Next

Return to General Gun Chat