50 BMG

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

50 BMG

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:31 pm

I was at a gun show last winter, at the convention center I believe? There was an outfit selling single shot 50 BMGs made in the twin cities. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or know their name?
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Re: 50 BMG

Postby xd ED on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:22 pm

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:42 pm

The name doesnt ring a bell, but that could be it. I thought the name started with a V for some reason. Just starting to look into getting one. Once again, I am developing an itch... And I must scratch it.
Found these guys: http://www.statearms.com/rifles/ Looks like they might be decent.
Deputyhiro

Postby xd ED on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah, I hear you.

Possibly the ultimate, impractical toy; tough to find a place to play with it, fairly expensive round to buy/ load, but they are impressive machinery, and nothing else comes close to the thunder...
I need to keep my hands in my pockets and move on by these, or it would get expensive quick.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Mauser98 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Are you thinking Vulcan? If it is, a quick Google search will bring up many reports of poor quality and kabooms. I don't have experience with them, just read many reviews on the interwebs. They've changed names a few times; Hesse; Vulcan; Blackthorne and maybe more.

If you are serious about the big 50, I highly recommend visiting with Oldmanfcsa on this forum. He should be returning soon from his 50bmg match in Nebraska this weekend.

He'll point you in the right direction with rifles and reloading if you so choose (which I'd recommend). Oldman is a great guy to visit with even if you decide not to buy a 50.

The State Arms is a fine rifle, and is one of the rifles Oldman shoots at his matches.

I've been saving up for a 50 as well, so if my vehicles will quit breaking down I should be an owner later this summer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Mauser98

Postby Greg on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Vulcan/Hesse/whatever they're calling themselves this week is a really BAD company. I bought my first Semi-auto 1919A4 from them and couldn't ever get it to work. They are local and I couldn't get so much as a spring from them. I eventually gave up and replaced all the internals to fix it. Their customer service is known to be the worst in the industry and with the crap they turn out you'll need it but it won't be there.

Their 50 BMGs are known to be dangerous and the last I heard they were banned from FCSA events because of several KaBooms!

Stay far away.

I had both a Serbu bolt action and an Ultralite 50 (now Tactilite) AR-15 upper and liked both of them but they are not competitive in really long range (1,000 yard) shooting. They sure were fun at 100-400 yards though!

Oldman FCSA is the guy who really knows his stuff in this.
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 am

You don't want one if those. State arms makes a good one and they start at about $2200. Oldmanfcsa has one if you have questions. I have put about 75-100 rounds down the tube and like it. I like the ar50 too though but they are about $1000 more.
Sigfan220

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:44 am

I just got home (13 hour drive) from the FCSA Match in Alliance, Nebraska.
1st Place in Heavy Class Group
2nd Place in Unlimited Class Score
3rd Place in Unlimited Class Group
I used my AR-50 to compete, but it has been modified for my needs.
As a stock rifle it is very good.
My State Arms rifle was purchased used, but it also is a very good rifle.

I will be using the AR-50 at the World Championships in 3 weeks.

I shoot 815 grain solid brass bore-riders using V.V. 20N29 powder and CCI#35 primers.
The bore of my rifle has been treated with Tungsten Disulfide, which assists in higher velocities using less chamber pressure.

Do NOT buy a Vulcan, Hesse, BlackThorne, Bohica, or a few others. DO YOUR proper research first.
Don't get hurt!
OldmanFCSA

Postby Stugotz on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby xd ED on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:49 pm

I've read much about the hesse(sp?) ARs. That their lineage has a 50 BMGis frightening. One intrweb post referred to them as 'pipe bombs'

And nice shooting, OldMan! :bravo:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the support and references.
After the World Match, I will have some leftover rounds for you guys and gals to fire at OGC.
Let me know if you have interest.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:55 pm

xd ED wrote:Yeah, I hear you.

Possibly the ultimate, impractical toy; tough to find a place to play with it, fairly expensive round to buy/ load, but they are impressive machinery, and nothing else comes close to the thunder...
I need to keep my hands in my pockets and move on by these, or it would get expensive quick.

You hit the nail on the head Ed. I have went round and round in my mind with a lot more reasons not to.... But still cant talk myself out of it. I have a range in the back yard capable of firing it 150-200 yd safely. A stones throw for this rifle. There is something about it though. Something great.
Deputyhiro

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Just started my research. I have the tendency to jump the gun (no pun intended) on some purchases. This will not be one of them. I have read a few horror stories on the vulcan / bohica. Customer service sucks. One guy had mentioned that bohica stands for "bend over, here it comes again". Don't want to bend over.... Especially on a big 50. I have an uncle that has a 50. Mater of fact he has it out to shooters round up at Ahlmans every year. Shot it once a few years ago. It was cool then. But now it just hit me that I must own one. State Arms is starting to jump ahead to one of the front runners. Their customer service is great too. I put a lot of weight in that. Thanks for the info / discussion. Oldman, don't be surprised if I track you down one of these days. ;)
Deputyhiro

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Give me some warning, so I don't use your vehicle for a reactionary target.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Here's a question for the 50 owners... Oldmanfcsa. :) Go 30, or 36" barrel? Im thinking 30 is plenty for my needs. Hell, I really have no needs, just wants. If I went 30", and really got into it, would I be kicking myself for not going with the 36? What am I loosing in the 6 inches?
Deputyhiro

Next

Return to General Gun Chat