armor plate carriers

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: armor plate carriers

Postby bbk on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:20 am

I had a friend who got shot in the chest while chasing a suspect. He was wearing soft armor and the BG shot him with a 380.
He said it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat, but he surived.
Those US PALM carriers at FF are a good entry level PC to have. Another good choice for low profile would be a BEEZ combat soft armor carrier.
Despite the unwanted comments here , get what you want; SAPI plates can be had on CL for a resonable fee; I recently saw a full set of ESAPI paltes locally for $100-, that is a hell of a deal.

And depite what others here say, if the SHTF in Mpls like it did in Ferguson MO, any ballistic protection is good, especially low profile stuff like the BEEZ taht can easily be concealed under a shirt.
bbk

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:19 am

k9barco wrote:Despite the unwanted comments here , get what you want; SAPI plates can be had on CL for a resonable fee; I recently saw a full set of ESAPI paltes locally for $100-, that is a hell of a deal.

A hell of a deal unless you have a problem owning what is most likely stolen US property
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Randygmn on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm

There is federal legislation currently pending, written by Honda (forget his first time), from California, trying to ban level 3A rifle plates for civilians. It aims to ban their sale, transfer or possession.
Randygmn

Postby plink on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:42 am

I'm just thinking the average soldier or marine running around with all this stuff is in his early 20's. I'm not.
Those guys also wake up to run a few miles and do lots and lots of push ups. I don't.
plink

Postby farmerj on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 am

and by the time you add in webgear, ammo, magazines, knifes, flashlights, rifle, pistol, and all the other tactical gear you'd carry.

Do people REALIZE how flippin' heavy this is really going to become?
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby MaryB on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 pm

But 120 pound Adam Lanza wore it, carried 300 rounds of ammo, 3 guns, multiple magazines....
MaryB

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Randygmn wrote:There is federal legislation currently pending, written by Honda (forget his first time), from California, trying to ban level 3A rifle plates for civilians. It aims to ban their sale, transfer or possession.

I have always wondered why they get so worked up about something like body armor. It is defensive in nature, and quite frankly, I doubt that there is wearable body armor that will allow you to shrug off a hit from a large bore hunting rifle. (survive, maybe, continue to do anything constructive, I don't think so...) so what the pol's that are "for" restrictions are for is ensuring that any civilian can be killed, but not those in .gov.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it should be an obligation for a PD to provide body armor to all its officers, but if anyone else wants the stuff (and having worn some III A stuff for a couple hours I really don't want to wear it for a living...) why should they care?
crbutler

Postby redaudi on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 am

methinks some need to grow thicker skin...
O.o derp
redaudi

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 am

crbutler wrote: why should they care?

Because politicians, for the most part, are ambitious and corrupt. They appeal to their nonthinking, bedwetting constituents on an emotional, not logical, level.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

armor plate carriers

Postby jshuberg on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:18 pm

They want to control people. They know what's best for us, and they presume to make our decisions for us.

Didn't we fight a war at some point to get away from this sort of tyranny?
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby rottenit on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am

So does is it a good idea for a civilian (Unless your job needs it ie LEO, Security, Mall Ninja 8-) , etc.) to get something like this or is it more of a taticool fantasy than useful? I totally get the idea that if you don't train with and have the physical endurance to lug around all this **** its going to be useless anyway. WROL, SHTF or whatever you want to call it is that enough of a reason to plunk down 2k on this kind of stuff and invest the time/energy to become proficient using it? (I know this is a subjective question). From what people have said sounds like a full plate carrier is not the quickest thing to get into and ready to go.
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby LumberZach on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 am

rottenit wrote:So does is it a good idea for a civilian (Unless your job needs it ie LEO, Security, Mall Ninja 8-) , etc.) to get something like this or is it more of a taticool fantasy than useful? I totally get the idea that if you don't train with and have the physical endurance to lug around all this **** its going to be useless anyway. WROL, SHTF or whatever you want to call it is that enough of a reason to plunk down 2k on this kind of stuff and invest the time/energy to become proficient using it? (I know this is a subjective question). From what people have said sounds like a full plate carrier is not the quickest thing to get into and ready to go.

It's a pretty personal question that no one can decide but you. I don't have any armor, but I want some in the future. Why? Because I like it and enjoy it. I see it similar to most of the shooting sports I do. It isn't an investment in time energy and money, but neither is it strictly my entertainment budget. I enjoy doing these things, I participate as much as I can, and that makes me better. If you enjoy this sort of thing, you will use it and become proficient with it.

Unless you are LEO or other security that uses this sort of thing it probably won't be justified. On the other hand, SHTF means a lot of different things and there are plenty of people that can imagine up scenarios that a plate carrier would be helpful.

If you have to talk yourself into it, you probably don't need it.
LumberZach

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat