MN HORSE AND HUNT

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

MN HORSE AND HUNT

Postby 1911A45ACP on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am

Being a former member of the MN HORSE AND HUNT I can say its a sham! For a $500 a year membership.......just to use the ranges you shoot in something less than a dump. Backboards are seldom changed. No place to put a staple. Rifle range is a joke. What's going on here is, the H&H is financing their shotgun sporting facility on the backs of those paying exorbitant dues to use the the pistol and rifle ranges! Period, end of report. The ranges are an afterthought, if that.

I was a member there last year. Unless a bulldozer has leveled the ranges and they've rebuilt the ranges and lowered the dues, it's a waste of money. I learned my lesson.

Now, should I tell you what I really think about that dump?
1911A45ACP

MN HORSE AND HUNT

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:58 am

Thanks for not hijacking my thread from a couple of days ago!

When I looked a couple of years ago the basic membership looked like a lot of money for not much benefits. Mega shooter at BVP would be the way to go for a handgun enthusiast.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: MN HORSE AND HUNT

Postby 1911A45ACP on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:11 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:Thanks for not hijacking my thread from a couple of days ago!

When I looked a couple of years ago the basic membership looked like a lot of money for not much benefits. Mega shooter at BVP would be the way to go for a handgun enthusiast.

You're welcome! After all is said, we do have a common interest!
1911A45ACP

Postby Sammichman on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Amen,,,a Dump is a Compliment,,That being said I would re-join for 200.00 a year just to save some drive time to LeSuerr
Sammichman

Postby smurfman on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 pm

The idea the rifle and pistol ranges are carrying the financial load for the sporting clays area is a joke. Those courses have been there since 1983 I believe, I know they were there in 1984 as that is when and where I shot sporting clays for the first time. Sporting clays carries its own water and if money is being diverted from one place to another it is from the shotgun side of the ledger to the rifle and pistol. Needless to say, the amount diverted isn't much to speak of.

That the rifle and pistol ranges are an afterthought is most definitely true. The idea for them gained traction after the Women's Day at the Range events with the range areas actually being designated when the carry permit licensing became needed. At best they are a diversion for those primarily interested in sporting clays or for members to quick sight in a deer rifle.

I am not a member of H&H but I have shot there extensively as well as used their grounds for dog training. I actually looked at the facility before deciding the benefits did not match the price. I have little comprehension why another would not do the same as $500 is a fair bit of money to me. I'd suggest visiting any facility you are interested in BEFORE putting down money. It will lessen the odds of feeling taken advantage of in a situation it could have been prevented.
smurfman

Postby 1911A45ACP on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:01 pm

smurfman wrote:Sporting clays carries its own water and if money is being diverted from one place to another it is from the shotgun side of the ledger to the rifle and pistol. Needless to say, the amount diverted isn't much to speak of.

I'd suggest visiting any facility you are interested in BEFORE putting down money. It will lessen the odds of feeling taken advantage of in a situation it could have been prevented.

I did visit BEFORE putting down money. It's in my backyard. It's just to close to home. I had to try it.

Now tell me, for 500 smackers a year, and the good number of people that use the range, you actually think my dues went for maintenance of that pit?? I think not! Two covered benches for the rifle range??? Wow! A world class facility they say in their advertising. The ranges are part of the facility they talk about. Backboards for targets? Nope! Actually, all you needed to do was take a look behind the checkin desk at the old office. Papers, shell boxes, paper boxes all thrown around like it was shoveled onto the desk out of a wheel barrow. A real boars nest! Not unlike their ranges. That says something to me.

The owner of the MN Horse and Hunt club have priorities. And they have nothing to do with the pistol or rifle ranges........or what the public may think of their organizational skills.

I've been there and done it........buyer beware!
1911A45ACP

Postby smurfman on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 pm

1911A45ACP wrote:
I did visit BEFORE putting down money. It's in my backyard. It's just to close to home. I had to try it.

Now tell me, for 500 smackers a year, and the good number of people that use the range, you actually think my dues went for maintenance of that pit?? I think not! Two covered benches for the rifle range??? Wow! A world class facility they say in their advertising. The ranges are part of the facility they talk about. Backboards for targets? Nope! Actually, all you needed to do was take a look behind the checkin desk at the old office. Papers, shell boxes, paper boxes all thrown around like it was shoveled onto the desk out of a wheel barrow. A real boars nest! Not unlike their ranges. That says something to me.

The owner of the MN Horse and Hunt club have priorities. And they have nothing to do with the pistol or rifle ranges........or what the public may think of their organizational skills.

I've been there and done it........buyer beware!

If you looked over the rifle and pistol ranges before joining, then why are you disappointed? You saw what you were buying in to and must have thought it worth the price as you did spend the $500 to be a member. I've seen the rifle and pistol ranges myself and would not have paid much to use them on their own merit. I can't say I would not have paid at all as I did pay to use the facilities at Moon Valley when it was open.

You did realize that your $500 was not just for use of the rifle and pistol ranges? It also goes towards discounted pricing on the clay fields, hunting fields, discounts on meals, lodging, and dog boarding as I recall from sales attempts on me. So, it is not the full membership fee going toward the range but the fee being spread around to a number of various areas. I most definitely agree little is spent on the rifle range but I highly doubt the clays ranges are the great benefactors or even have need of those fees. They do quite well on their own as the "world class" claim (on the website at least) is for the sporting clays fields, not the rifle and pistol ranges.

I'm not sure what a "good number" is, but I shoot league and recreational sporting clays as well train my dogs there and have seen only a handful of people at the rifle range since it opened. A few I shoot with are members but they claim to only use the rifle range to verify the sights on their rifles before deer season. The rifle range is not even a consideration for their membership- only a convenience.

It's too bad the ranges at H&H did not meet your expectations but you did look them over before you made your payment. For that I don't see much to complain about.
smurfman

Postby Sammichman on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Just think. you spend a few bucks to upgrade the Rifle and pistol range,,put some of those guys you see driving around doing nothing to work, make the people who use the range for nothing easy to spot instead of leaving it up to the paid members to police because your staff is to lazy or uncaring .Sell a bare bones rifle pistol membership in the 2-300.00 dollar range and if the member shows a shotgun interest then sell and upgrade package, as far as food maybe I'm critical but 25 years in food gives me that right
Sammichman

Postby crbutler on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:03 pm

While $500 is a lot of money to join a gun range, especially one that charges fees for each use (like the clays..) it is actually in line with what one pays to join a hunting preserve.

I went out there WAAAY back when as a guest of my uncle (since passed away) and enjoyed it. Its too far away for me to even consider it now, but the local places that have pheasant, etc. run about the same.

If you want a rifle and pistol range, join one of them. Yeah, I know in the metro everyplace pretty much has a long wait list.

Personally, from every gun club I have been involved with, shotgun is a money sink. The targets are a large expense, and everybody has a special group that they want reduced pricing for - kids, seniors, vets, LEO's, etc, as well as holding the prices down. It seems that they try and run the clays as a net even, and have everything else pay for the rest. That typically results in when the trap machine breaks, they need funds to repair it, and it comes from somewhere... like membership dues, but the numbers at the facilities are shotgunners. Pistol and rifle shooters except in their own dedicated clubs are a minority.
crbutler

Postby 1911A45ACP on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 pm

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but hand me the club please.

Many years ago I sold my "guns" to finance a photography hobby. Yup, I left my guns behind and shot film instead. Of late, politics looked like it may be affecting my 2nd Amendment rights. So, I went out and exercised my right and bought firearms. Having moved since I had previously owned firearms I needed to find some place to shoot. I learned of the MN Horse and Hunt just down the road. I toured the place, it was a dump when I toured it and I handed over my credit card because it was in my back yard. I was willing to pay for the convenience at the time. Once I fully realized I was shooting in Fred Sanford's back lot and there was no hope over the course of that years membership of ever finding a backboard I could staple a target on...........I forget convenience and made the decision to spend the money on gas.

Now I know I ruffled the feathers on some users of the H&H maze that do clays, pheasant shoots etc., when I mentioned my dues financed your fun. I still stand by that. You guys and gals have fun there, that's great! Go for it. I guess "they" meet the need for you folks.

I had hoped my 500 smackers would have payed for at least one 4x8 sheet of plywood for a backboard, instead they used my money for advertising all the clay/pheasant shoots they do! Yes! After the fire apparently a few ledger sheets with burned edges caught a wind and blew them over to the rifle range. I found them! They clearly showed the movement of funds from the range fees to the clays fund! Yes sir! I saw it with my own eyes. I'd show them to you but my dog ate them. No, I don't have a Black Lab. I have a true firearm owners best friend........an Italian French Poodle who retrieves my spent brass at the range. No lab can do that!

This is not the MN H&H but pretty much represents what you get for a $500 Pistol/Rifle range membership
I actually found a good use for clays!!
Last edited by 1911A45ACP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
1911A45ACP

Postby 1911A45ACP on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:02 am

smurfman wrote:You did realize that your $500 was not just for use of the rifle and pistol ranges? It also goes towards discounted pricing on the clay fields, hunting fields, discounts on meals, lodging, and dog boarding..............

I sure did smurf!

I had hoped it would of also financed a 4x8 sheet of plywood!

Yup, I've got complaining rights smurf. When you pay 500 dollars for a membership with ALL the wonderful add-ons you mentioned and especially at a "World Class" facility I expect something to staple a target onto. Is that too much to expect at a shooting range??

Again, have fun with your clays, dogs, cats and mice! If they meet your needs as a clay shooter....shoot em up...have fun!

I'm just alerting people that for a 500 dollar rifle/pistol range membership fee......don't expect even a backboard to shoot at.

But if you want to go shoot clays at a discount, eat a hamburger and take a nap.........!!!!!!!!
1911A45ACP

Postby shadeslanding on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:09 am

I agree that the backboards are often less than desireable, yet I've seen new backboards put up on a Thursday only to see them shot to crap by Monday. Normal pistol rounds on the pistol or short rifle range don't destroy the backboards as shown in your photo in that short of a time. Ignorant members who can't read a friggin' NO SHOTGUNS sign are responsible for it. There are always plenty of empty shotgun shell casings by those shot out backboards.

I've also seen idiots placing Styrofoam coffee cups upside down on posts. Replacing the posts and backboards no doubt gets expensive and they do replace them (every week they are out replacing them).

There is no new member orientation (which I think should be mandatory). Better education and better policing of the slob shooters would make for a much more presentable and useable range.

As to whether the $500 is worth it? Certainly not to a casual shooter. But I'm at the range with guests or just myself 3-5 times a week. So it's well worth the ticket.
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Postby Sammichman on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Caribou in LeSuerr isn't perfect either but for a 100.00 a year I can live with it, and you can shoot over 200 yds
Sammichman

Postby Sammichman on Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Caribou in LeSuerr isn't perfect either but for a 100.00 a year I can live with it, and you can shoot over 200 yds
Sammichman

Postby gman1868 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:10 pm

Just a general comment for all gun ranges, if it were up to me I wouldn't put up any posts or target backers if they keep getting shot up. Target stands are $30-40 each and furring strips are $2 each.

Bring your own, I do.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Next

Return to General Gun Chat