Selling Nationally? - GunBroker, Armslist, etc.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby warrlac on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 pm

No offense to MNGT members, but I'm thinking about trying to reach a wider audience when selling a couple of handguns.

Can anyone point me to a thread here on MNGT (that may already exist), or give me a quick briefing?

I've purchased firearms on GunBroker.com using a local FFL to receive the weapon. In this case, I'm not a FFL and would like to find out who to use when I am the Seller of the firearm?

Thanks,
Warren
warrlac

Re: Selling Nationally? - GunBroker, Armslist, etc.

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:52 pm

I'd start with local Armslist and go from there, you may get out of state inquiries as well... Gunbroker involves additional fees and selling requirements that may be more of a pain if you don't do a lot of selling-buying.

You can sell the firearm via whatever mechanism chosen and ship it directly to an FFL in the buyer's state where they would complete a background check and comply with their local state requirements for a legal transfer. Some FFL's will only accept firearm shipment from other FFL's so, while not required under law, so you may need to work with a local FFL to ship the firearm. You'd need to look at the particulars with a shipping carrier (the USPS will NOT ship firearms, UPS or Fedex only) as to how an item needs to be described/declared for shipment.

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-fr ... ed-persons

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
yuppiejr

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Many times its cheaper to have FFL ship because they can use USPS priority flat rate. Thunderjohn is close to you in Savage.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby benny on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Also keep in mind that handguns must be shipped next day air. You have to be an FFL to ship USPS or lie to them .

Benny
benny

Postby Pat on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:55 pm

I have had great luck selling and buying on Gunbroker. Their audience is huge. And when dealing with more expensive pieces, there just isn't the market locally. Hereabouts everybody wants the best at half price. Won't work for me...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby warrlac on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks for the replies --

So, for example, if I list a handgun on Gunbroker.com and somebody wins the auction... I can just ship it myself via UPS or FEDEX to his/her chosen FFL. That's it?

Sounds like less of a hassle than I thought.

Thanks,
Warren
warrlac

Postby farmerj on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

FedEx will tell you it has to be shipped next day 10 am delivery for a handgun.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby bofe954 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:51 am

I have shipped a few hanguns via UPS. You have to go to one of the hubs to do it. I've only used the one in Eagan. It's no problem doing it, but it will cost between $50-$100. Closer to $100. Like mentioned above it is next day air. Buyers usually are happy since it gets there so quick. You have to make sure the FFL they choose will accept a handgun from a non-FFL. Every one I've shipped to wants a copy of your DL. Not sure if that is required for the transfer or just something they all like.

I am assuming a FFL would have to charge $40-$50?

I think you can get a little more selling online. It is probably eaten up by the shipping, transfer though. In my experience it has actually been less hassle selling online.
bofe954

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:15 am

The receiving FFL is going to want to know WHO they are receiving it from for their bound book. the easiest way for that is to have you send a copy of your license with the pistol in the box.

For other dealers, I always had a copy of the FFL sent with the firearm.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby whiteox on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:49 pm

I always make it clear in the auction that shipping is extra. Shipping through UPS/FedEx is crazy expensive.

I shipped through Mike Coffey at Polar Bear Ordnance in Woodbury. He charged his transfer fee plus shipping. I think the total was about $30.
whiteox

Return to General Gun Chat