Frog Lube Question

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Frog Lube Question

Postby Garret7857 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 pm

So I finally got my hands on a Lionheart LH9N MKII (I'll have a review after a couple more range trips) and it comes from the factory all set up with FrogLube. I have never had this stuff on a gun before and was wondering what I should use or shouldn't use for cleaning my gun. All the videos I found so far only show how to clean all the grease off your gun to prepare it for frog lube.

Thanks!

-Garret7857
Garret7857

Re: Frog Lube Question

Postby Randygmn on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Lube isn't for cleaning. It is for lubrication, AFTER you clean.
Randygmn

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Are you trying to get it off now?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Froglube does a decent enough job at cleaning, as well as lubricating. Most new guns have a coating of grease or other liquid rust inhibitor on them. You have to strip that stuff off. I use Slip2000 products, so some 725 Cleaner/Degreaser does wonders. You can use any kind of degreaser on it, be it Simple Green, a dedicated gun degreaser like 725, or Gun Scrubber. The thing to keep in mind is that degreasers DEGREASE, so you have to rehydrate the metal afterwards. We all know this, so I won't harp on it.

The premise behind Froglube is that you can use it one of two ways- impregnated lubricant or surface lubricant. When people use the paste, the directions call for heating the metal components and adding Froglube so that the pores absorb the lubricant. This in turn displaces crud in the metal. From here, you have a gun that has a layer of lubricant and you can add more as you use the gun. When it comes time to clean, you just wipe off the dirty residue and reapply. What Froglube doesn't mention is that you can just add the regular liquid Froglube on room temperature components and it works just fine. Metal will absorb lubricant in most conditions anyways. The Froglube does a decent job at cleaning the metal and displacing loose carbon. It's okay at eliminating heavy carbon deposits, but in all honesty there are better options designed specifically for the purpose of cleaning that do a better job at cleaning than Froglube.

Just clean the grease off and put on the Froglube like any other lubricant. They make it look far more complicated than it needs to be. I've used FrogLube for a couple years now in a controlled capacity for professional testing, and it's decent stuff. As a lubricant it's no better than the Slip2000 EWL that I have been using for a long time. It smells better, but other than that it's not really the "game changer" that people have billed it to be. Much of the hype behind Froglube came when Chris Costa started using it and endorsing, at which time all of his fanboys started singing the praises of it like it was the miracle cure for cancer or Hep C.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Re:

Postby Garret7857 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:01 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:Are you trying to get it off now?

not trying to take it off, just need to know what I should / shouldn't do when cleaning my gun. Like do I clean off all the powder with Hoppes #9 and then reapply frog lube?

and sorry for it making 3 posts of this thread, something went wonky xD
Garret7857

Postby Hmac on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Gun lubricants are subject to the same hucksterism and fad appeal that automotive lubricants are. Americans buy oil for their car because of a logo on the side of the current NASCAR points leader's car.

Pick up some Hoppe's #9 and some CLP. You'll be fine.
Hmac

Postby jdege on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 am

Or pick up some transmission fluid and some STP Oil Treatment, and mix up some Ed's Red. http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
jdege

Postby Stugotz on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:13 am

Only negative I've heard about it is it may gum up in cold weather use (no 1st hand experience, but told to me by a very experienced reliable source). Give it a try, the price is right. FWIW, I have been using Mobile One 5-30 for years with no issues.
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby 20mm on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:22 am

Hmac wrote:Gun lubricants are subject to the same hucksterism and fad appeal that automotive lubricants are. Americans buy oil for their car because of a logo on the side of the current NASCAR points leader's car.

Pick up some Hoppe's #9 and some CLP. You'll be fine.

This... Do some research on Frog Lube and bearing tests. It's not a horrible product, it's just not what they make it out to be.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Frog Lube Question

Postby dtapper2 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:25 am

I use Froglube and have been for about a year. I have the paste and liquid. Both do the exact same thing. I heat treated most of my weapons with the paste then applied the liquid to it. It tends to give off a funnier smell once it burns a little, mainly in an AR.

I've never had a bad experience with it, other than it smells like Grizzly Wintergreen and I quite chewing 2+ years ago...

I use it in my Win SX2 for duck hunting and have experienced no gumming up until it gets REALLY cold, then I give it a shot of Gibbs.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby farmerj on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:04 am

find something you like and use it.

There are more shooters taken by a good marketing exec than there is wild game in any given hunting season.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Hmac on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 am

jdege wrote:Or pick up some transmission fluid and some STP Oil Treatment, and mix up some Ed's Red. http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

I use Mobil 1, Slip2000 and CLP. Mostly Mobil 1. I have a little squeeze bottle of the stuff sitting on my bench. All work pretty well. Never tried Ed's Red, but I'm sure it's fine too.
Hmac

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:54 am

farmerj wrote:find something you like and use it.

There are more shooters taken by a good marketing exec than there is wild game in any given hunting season.

:exactly: :iagree:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby fjrdc on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Use one or the other DO NOT MIX , I've used Froglube exclusively on my G23 Gen 3 and my Shield , I detail stripped both, cleaned with a non chlorinated brake cleaner then re-lubed and heated with a heat gun a bit , wiped down re assembled , lubed at recommended spots.
I've ran 1500+ rounds thru the G23 AND from new 500+ rounds in the shield ,no descernable signs of accelerated wear from using froglube.
Both Handguns are my EDC interchangeably
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby farmerj on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:38 pm

I've run 7000+ rounds through my Beretta 92FS before it became unreliable enough to field stop and clean with CLP. My own little "torture test" I wanted to see prior to deploying overseas some years ago. All I've used in 20+ years. No desire to fall for any sales pitches to change product.

Guys in the unit wanted to try over a dozen different products. And we gave different stuff to different squads.

In the end, everyone kept coming back for CLP. I finally just had pitch the other stuff when we came home. No one wanted to have it.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Next

Return to General Gun Chat