A French Soldier's View of US Soldiers in Afghanistan

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

A French Soldier's View of US Soldiers in Afghanistan

Postby Hmac on Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Very interesting article. Very gratifying that they were impressed.

http://www.warriorlodge.com/blogs/news/ ... fghanistan

What follows is an account from a French ISAF soldier that was stationed with American Warfighters in Afghanistan sometime in the past 4 years. This was copied and translated from an editorial French newspaper.

A NOS FRERES D’ARMES AMERICAINS

"We have shared our daily life with two US units for quite a while - they are the first and fourth companies of a prestigious infantry battalion whose name I will withhold for the sake of military secrecy. To the common man it is a unit just like any other. But we live with them and got to know them, and we henceforth know that we have the honor to live with one of the most renowned units of the US Army - one that the movies brought to the public as series showing "ordinary soldiers thrust into extraordinary events". Who are they, those soldiers from abroad, how is their daily life, and what support do they bring to the men of our OMLT every day? Few of them belong to the Easy Company, the one the TV series focuses on. This one nowadays is named Echo Company, and it has become the support company............
Hmac

Re: A French Soldier's View of US Soldiers in Afghanistan

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:22 pm

I'll sleep better tonight knowing the Frogs are impressed with our Airborne units. :D

On a more serious note, It was a very good article.

Thanks for posting.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby 2in2out on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Nice article.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Randygmn on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 am

What they fail to mention is that the Frenchmen were making their observations in a rear view mirror. Harder to get perspective that way :lol:
Randygmn

Postby wasfuzz on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Cheese eating surrender monkey's.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Spartan on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:59 pm

I'd think it was a compliment but the last elite Frankish troops were commanded by Napoleon, rode horses in battle and used muskets, lances and sabers.
Spartan

Postby 45Badger on Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 am

Spartan wrote:I'd think it was a compliment but the last elite Frankish troops were commanded by Napoleon, rode horses in battle and used muskets, lances and sabers.

You're off by about a hundred years. They hung in pretty (very) well in First World War. Their combination of courage and obstinate/stubborn leadership literally lost a generation of young men.

The war was almost exclusively fought on French soil and the French civilian population was regularly bombed, shelled, shot, commandeered and displaced. Makes their reticence and lack of appetite for war in 1940 understandable. As far as their lack of support for our foray into Iran, they are either feckless allies or pretty wise. I suspect that history will not be kind to our view of that adventure.

Nice article. Our soldiers continue to be the best in the world.
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Spartan on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Sorry, I m not actually wrong ... the French leadership you speak of were fools .. the soldiers were forced over the top at gun point ... racing to their death from Gerry's machine guns ... I didn't say they were cowards I said they were not good soldiers ... which is true ... poorly trained compared to empire troops and Germans... the war was in France ... why ? The german plan, co called schliffen plan was not a huge secret ... again poor leadership, poor training , poorer weapons. The average French solider was the poorest, trained, equipped and led on the western front 1914-1919.
Now in the La Grande Army....C 1810-1815 the French were the best trained and equipped with the best leadership in Europe. Defeated only by Russian winter and a weird coalition on the plains of Waterloo by Wellington and Von Blucher. Post Marshal Murat, French leaders are idiots ..
Spartan

Postby Ironbear on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:32 am

In humorous serendipity, I am reading a book where the French Foreign Legion was referred to as, "that famous regiment of victorious failures and successful suicides".
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Return to General Gun Chat