Any Colt black powder experts on here?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Any Colt black powder experts on here?

Postby justinvan on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:52 pm

Helping clean up an estate and have a colt black powder revolver (1847 walker signature series i think) that i need help identifying and puttin a value to. Any help, tips, or pointers appreciated.
justinvan

Re: Any Colt black powder experts on here?

Postby andrewP on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:47 am

Well, I have no knowledge to offer on the subject, but I would suggest you post some photos, preferably including close-ups of any markings that might be used to identify it, and illustrating the condition. I expect someone will be able to help you out if you do that.
andrewP

Postby tenmilmag on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:23 am

My understanding is Colt may be headed for default. Therefore you should get rid of that before it is totally worthless no matter what condition. I bid a hundred bucks :)
tenmilmag

Postby Molasses on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:49 am

I'm no expert.

I've seen people refer to at least some of the models Colt offered in the signature series as "3rd Generation". The explanation apparently being that the originals were 1st Gen, the repros they offered in the 1970s were 2nd Gen and then these signature series repros from the '90s, IIRC. Personally, I never took too much interest in them as my understanding was that they were just importing parts from the foreign makers, assembling them here with Colt markings and charging a premium.

There is such a thing as black powder price guide books. There's also the option of looking at finished auctions over at GunBroker.com (you have to sign up there to search that portion) to see what they've actually sold for. You can also try asking for either an appraisal or just general info at Track of the Wolf in Elk River (they're a black powder specialty outfit). Track also does consignments, although I'd strongly suggest getting a good idea of actual value before letting someone else sell it for you.
Molasses

Postby dupa on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:42 am

another option would be to drag it into a few gun shops and see what kind of price they give you on trade in/ consignment. they can do the leg work for you on approximate value.
dupa

duplicate
Last edited by dupa on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dupa

duplicate
Last edited by dupa on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dupa

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:43 am

dupa wrote:another option would be to drag it into a few gun shops and see what kind of price they give you on trade in/ consignment. they can do the leg work for you on approximate value.

YO!! DUPA!! You just TRIPLAED!! delete two of those posts, happy fingers!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby justinvan on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:50 pm

I checked gun broker before i posted but found no simular sales. I may try Track Of The Wolf. The little i have found on line has values all over the board. Thanks for the tips.
justinvan

Postby justinvan on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 pm

I checked gun broker before i posted but found no simular sales. I may try Track Of The Wolf. The little i have found on line has values all over the board. Thanks for the tips.
justinvan

Postby dupa on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:20 pm

well good luck with it.. i found with a colt police positive that just because it's a colt doesn't mean it's a big ticket item. but i hope you have better luck

and sorry for the extra posts..
dupa

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Keep in mind that Colt Signature BP guns weren't actually made by Colt. They were made under license by "Colt Blackpowder Arms" in NYC from 1994-2002. These guns will have a model number starting with a "F"

The Signature Walkers I've seen run 700-900 in unfired condition with box. I have one on consignment right now for 750
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Return to General Gun Chat