Movie: American Sniper

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby xd9 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Did anyone see this movie American Sniper? We did on Saturday and I liked it very much. But I think the thing that made me go numb was at the end when the actor portraying Chris Kyle walks through his house with what sure looks like a real revolver and enters the kitchen and aims the gun at his wife and says "drop your drawers" (jokingly in a suggestive fashion). I could not think of ANY reason why they would include that in the movie.
Last edited by xd9 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xd9

Re: Movie: American Sniper

Postby Back In Black on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:56 pm

I agree about the revolver. I was hoping it was a toy or some kind of gag but nope. Very odd but did not detract from this otherwise fantastic film.
Keith
Back In Black

Postby hunterfreakhd on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm

I saw the movie, bad gun safety aside which it never should be,when the credits started rolling no body got up to leave right away everybody sat in the sold out theater for twenty minutes of pure silence. It was great to see so much respect.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby tenmilmag on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:16 am

What?! Were her drawers loaded??
tenmilmag

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 am

xd9 wrote:Did anyone see this movie American Sniper? We did on Saturday and I liked it very much. But I think the thing that made me go numb was at the end when the actor portraying Chris Kyle walks through his house with what sure looks like a real revolver and enters the kitchen and aims the gun at his wife and says "drop your drawers" (jokingly in a suggestive fashion). I could not think of ANY reason why they would include that in the movie. A retired highly trained Navy Seal sniper aims a handgun at his own wife in a joking manner? Maybe I was missing something here. Maybe he was such the operator that the rules don't matter? Oh I know, it was unloaded so that is ok then.

Just took the air out me at the end of the movie. Maybe I'm just too stupid to see why this was included. Anyone have a better idea why?

:roll:

Remember it was made by Hollyweird. I really doubt that scene was factual.
Holland&Holland

Postby westhope on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:13 am

I saw no reason to have the revolver / drawers scene in the movie. I have not read Kyle's book. Was anything in the book mentioned of a similar scene?

Otherwise, I thought the movie excellent too.

Highly recommend it.

Also a poor scene was where Kyle was the only sniper trainee hitting the steel at what appeared to be about 100 yards, 200 at the most. The others were hitting the dirt.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd9 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:24 am

They kind of made it a point to show him set the gun on a shelf in the kitchen before going to say goodbye to his kids and heading to the range. Part of me thought were they kind of suggesting he forgot it that day and if he would have had it, maybe he could have defended himself? But I find that far fetched. I think they could have used a nerf gun or the kids cap gun or even his fingers as a gun to do the scene.
It seems like they do alot to show proper gun handling when he is in the service. Just could not imagine him doing that. But who knows. I would love the hear Clint's reason to show it that way.

Hopefully nobody copies the scene with deadly consequences.
xd9

Postby tman on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am

My suggestion:

Stop analyzing every frame of the movie. It's a movie!

If you want to criticize, let's talk about fake babies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... ked-764702
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Erud on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:57 am

You are too sensitive. Don't turn into one of those guys who writes letters to gun magazines complaining about pictures of firearms pointed at the camera, or people holding guns without eye/ear protection.
Erud

Postby ronin069 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Saw it this afternoon - 2 hours. Coulda been three. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the interpersonal relationships developed as they were in the book. Starting with Kyle's dislike of the spotter he had on the roof (at the beginning) - unless you read the book, and got military culture, the average viewer could never appreciate those scenes. Had they, then it would given the viewer a bit of a chuckle when Kyle told him not to come back.

Also, I felt that the beginning, with Kyle's dad teaching the boys to be sheepdogs and not be sheep or wolves, was laid out too quickly and seemed forced. They could have spent just just 5 minutes exanding the scene where his little brother gets beaten up; it happened so fast that the audience never had a chance to feel emotionally involved with what whas happening.

The brutality of "the butcher" was more implied than shown, but they showed enough for folks in the theater to audibly mumble..."no...no...no..." (and similar when he had to kill the kid with the grenade) Eastwood did a briliant job of communicating the anguish some of the kills put Kyle through and also making the badguys look, well...bad. Really bad.

There were audible sniffs and sobs during closing credits (not exactly a spoiler here), when they showed video of his procession and funeral. I think this was even more powerful because even though the scenes were shorter than I would have liked, it was made clear how much helping the vets meant to Chris, and how much it had helped him get through what he had been through.

Both Bradley Cooper who played Kyle and Sienna Miller who played Taya were just plain amazing. Sometimes the brooding soldier and distracted wife can be over-acted to the point of distraction; not here. The scene where she was listening to the battle over the phone and the other one with him calling her from the rooftop - you forget you are watching actors.
"The gun chooses you, you don't choose the gun"
- my wife
ronin069

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Saw the movie Friday night when it was released. Good movie. Would see it again while it's still in theaters. I would say the showing was about 90% capacity for the 9PM showing in Hibbing MN.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby The Famous Grouse on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:42 pm

Don't know if that scene actually happened, but "normal" for most people is a different thing from "normal" for many who have been over there. I took that as the point, anyway.

Another book I'd recommend is "No Easy Day". Interesting insight into what it takes to be a SEAL. Hint, if you don't like cold water, long runs, pain, sleep drepivation, near-drowing experiences, or being shot at, it's probably not for you.

Grouse
The Famous Grouse

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Fantastic movie, the doll baby was the only significant "doh" moment I had in the whole 2 hours and 7 minutes, I don't get the moist panties over the revolver scene but to each their own.
yuppiejr

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

yuppiejr wrote:Fantastic movie, the doll baby was the only significant "doh" moment I had in the whole 2 hours and 7 minutes, I don't get the moist panties over the revolver scene but to each their own.

Two SEALs were on KFAN the other morning discussing the movie. One was Chris Kyle's sniper instructor and the other was a good friend of Kyle.

The way I understand it is the baby that was supposed to play Kyle's child got sick and the second baby was a no show. I do not know why they were in a hurry to shoot the scene and used the doll for a stand in.

One thing the guys on the radio mentioned that the movie kind of glossed over is that the Marine spotter, who was initially working with Kyle and said that he was not going to go door to door because he like his cushy job as a spotter, was in real life hated by Chris Kyle.
hard h2o

Postby Back In Black on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:06 am

I can't believe people are making a big deal about the doll. It's a freakin' prop. :roll:
Keith
Back In Black

Next

Return to General Gun Chat