Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Postby MJY65 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:28 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
MJY65 wrote:
Erud wrote:Just from reading this thread, I'd have to say that some of you folks just aren't "club" material.

I'd say you're right. I'm looking for more of a commercial shooting range than a club.

Maybe you and some like minded folks could pool your money and start one.

I'm not sure if that's serious or sarcastic, but I do think there is a market for such a place. The club atmosphere may be exactly the right fit for some guys who are looking for a social experience and a gathering place for their organized competitions. On the other hand, I've got to believe that there are a fair number of shooters who would like the opportunity to stretch their rifle a bit beyond the typical hundred yards a few times per year, but don't really care to participate in club activities, or be on a waiting list for several years. For them, a place where you simply drive up and pay for the use of the range would be better.

Some of the snarky comments directed at those of us who don't enjoy the club atmosphere are a bit much. I'm sure you have an image of me as a mag dumping, bottle shooting redneck. That's not the case. I'm 50 years old and my favorite activity is precision rifle shooting. I doubt that you would find my behavior dangerous in any way.
MJY65

Postby hard h2o on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:32 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Erud wrote:Just from reading this thread, I'd have to say that some of you folks just aren't "club" material.

I'd say you're right. I'm looking for more of a commercial shooting range than a club.

Good luck with your search and finding a commercial range that fits your criteria.

OGC has a waiting list. For me it seemed like not too bad of a wait. It is sure worth it being a member.

Have to put in 18 hours of so in volunteer work. I do mine as range officer duty. $90 or so a year. For that I get to come and go as I please. Shoot whenever I have the opportunity. Every member is a range officer. We all police the ranges and clean up after ourselves. It is a nice, clean, and safe place to shoot specifically because of the rules. Being a member gives you a sense of ownership and pride.

Any range you go to will have rules or bylaws. Short of buying land and building your own good luck.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:37 pm

MJY65 wrote:
I'm not sure if that's serious or sarcastic, but I do think there is a market for such a place. The club atmosphere may be exactly the right fit for some guys who are looking for a social experience and a gathering place for their organized competitions. On the other hand, I've got to believe that there are a fair number of shooters who would like the opportunity to stretch their rifle a bit beyond the typical hundred yards a few times per year, but don't really care to participate in club activities, or be on a waiting list for several years. For them, a place where you simply drive up and pay for the use of the range would be better.

Some of the snarky comments directed at those of us who don't enjoy the club atmosphere are a bit much. I'm sure you have an image of me as a mag dumping, bottle shooting redneck. That's not the case. I'm 50 years old and my favorite activity is precision rifle shooting. I doubt that you would find my behavior dangerous in any way.

Show up at OGC during the public allowed days (typically weekends between June and October and 7 days a week from October to November) and you can do just that. Pay your money and shoot. You are limited to the type of target and you will have some rules and range officers to abide.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a commercial range that lets you pay and then run the range yourself. Short of renting out an entire range I would think there will always be some sort of limitations and supervision. How would a commercial range get licensing and insurance otherwise?
hard h2o

Postby MJY65 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:14 pm

hard h2o wrote:I think you will be hard pressed to find a commercial range that lets you pay and then run the range yourself. Short of renting out an entire range I would think there will always be some sort of limitations and supervision. How would a commercial range get licensing and insurance otherwise?

I think we may be reading a bit too much into each other's comments. I realize that anything other than private land will have some published safety rules. I have absolutely no issue with that. Most places seem to do OK with a dozen or two. The example I cited with 111 written rules is probably an outlier, but certainly doesn't make it sound very welcoming to new members.

I let my frustration in finding a rifle range get the better of me and directed that frustration toward other members who were trying to be helpful. That was uncalled for and I apologize.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Check out MGFC. It is what is being asked for. Good facilities, some basic rules but nothing intrusive, and it isn't hard to find a range to have to yourself. They do ask for some volunteer time but there are many ways to provide that and it isn't hardline mandatory.
BigBlue

Postby Erud on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 pm

MJY65 wrote:
hard h2o wrote:I think you will be hard pressed to find a commercial range that lets you pay and then run the range yourself. Short of renting out an entire range I would think there will always be some sort of limitations and supervision. How would a commercial range get licensing and insurance otherwise?

I think we may be reading a bit too much into each other's comments. I realize that anything other than private land will have some published safety rules. I have absolutely no issue with that. Most places seem to do OK with a dozen or two. The example I cited with 111 written rules is probably an outlier, but certainly doesn't make it sound very welcoming to new members.

I let my frustration in finding a rifle range get the better of me and directed that frustration toward other members who were trying to be helpful. That was uncalled for and I apologize.

Mike,
I just don't think your expectations are realistic. Private clubs exist for the benefit of their members, and they generally get by on small budgets with a small number of people doing a large amount of work. Generally speaking, the rules are in place to ensure that the club stays open. GRRC may have 111 rules, but they also have the only 1000 yard range in the state on over 300 acres of land. I have shot countless matches at GRRC over the last 8 years as well as lots of just "fun" shooting and I don't recall being subjected to any unreasonable restrictions. If someone doesn't like the rules they have, they are always free to drive 4 hours to Lodi to shoot at the next-closet 1k range. Rip Van Winkle can tell you about what happens to clubs when bullets get away and any ERSC members can tell similar stories. Aside from OGC, none of the other local clubs that I know of operate like a business, with public shooting hours etc, range fees, etc. Public shooting is a ton of work and really increases a club's exposure to liability. It's mostly just a huge pain in the ass for everyone except the occasional public shooter demographic. None of the clubs I belong to are open to the public, and that's the way I like it.
Erud

Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 pm

MJY65 wrote:

The 111 rules you've referenced protect a club with separate pistol ranges, a 100-1000yrd KD range, a black powder range, a 50-200m multi-purpose range, as well as a trap range, about 2 miles of roads, paths with gates and barricades closing/ protecting them when long distance shooting takes place. there is also on-site hunting, camping, and rv parking. All of which happens safely when the relativly few ( for each activity) safety rules are observed.
And it all happens with volunteer efforts.
I'm pretty sure the articulate rules exist to satisfy legal and insurance requirements, as well ensuring members safety and punishing unsafe behavior, should it occur.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby JJ on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:21 pm

BigBlue wrote:Check out MGFC. It is what is being asked for. Good facilities, some basic rules but nothing intrusive, and it isn't hard to find a range to have to yourself. They do ask for some volunteer time but there are many ways to provide that and it isn't hardline mandatory.

MFGC has like a three year wait, and requires a sponsor to join.

carbide wrote:So most of the clubs, its kosher for new people to just show up at club meetings and go from there?

I have no problem paying membership dues or what not, but I'd rather not wait 1+ years to join.

There are many clubs just lie this Isanti County Sportsmans Club, Rainbow, West Branch Gun Club are three that I know are show up, pay dues, and instant membership.

ICSC- SHow up at general membership meeting, and assuming the roster has not reach max, you are in.

West Branch Gun Club- Contact the owner, pay fee and you are a member.

Rainbow,- Not sure on their exact procedure, but from what I've heard its fairly easy to acquire a membership.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Sprouticus on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:02 pm

For rainbow go to their website, print off the membership form mail it in with your payment.

http://rainbowsportsmensclub.weebly.com/membership.html

Then wait a couple days (maybe 2 weeks at the most) for the membership card and it will have the gate code on it, that's about it.
Sprouticus

Postby BigBlue on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:44 pm

JJ wrote:MFGC has like a three year wait, and requires a sponsor to join.

I'm pretty sure it is not that long of a wait these days. I'll check and confirm.
BigBlue

Postby nosualc on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm a board member at ERSC. We are not a commercial enterprise, nor do we ever wish to be.

We are a private club managed for the use and enjoyment of our club members. Our club is administered and maintained by volunteer members who spend countless hours of their own time without any form of compensation. We receive only faint and infrequent praise, but lots of belly-aching and whining. We do it because we enjoy the club, its facilities and the camaraderie we find there.

We have rules. We might even have too many rules for my own libertarian taste. However, the vast majority of those rules exist solely because somebody failed to exercise common sense, and created a problem. There have been times in the past where those problems threatened the continued existence of our club.

FWIW, per our bylaws, we accept applications for new members once a year. This past year we had more openings than we had applicants.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat