Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Postby carbide on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:05 am

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new shooter, I live in the metro, my family and many friends do not have cabins, - I don't have a place to shoot outside where I can just dink around to have some safe fun shooting at targets. Getting sick of Bill's and that gets spendy. I have shot outside at a public range in Staples, MN, and that was one heck of a fun time.

I was just wondering if you all know of public land where it is legal and safe to shoot at targets. Closer to the cities the better, but I understand the likely hood of that being close by is low.

Thanks
carbide

Re: Can you shoot on public land anywhere specific in MN?

Postby cs tunes on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 am

Pine City is the closest that I know of. Chengwatana State Forest has a designated shooting area. Only ever ridden past it, never shot there. I would be cognizant of trail riders and/or foresting going on in the area but otherwise it looks shootable. Definitely not fancy. Or a number of local outdoor ranges could be joined.
cs tunes

Postby JJ on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:13 am

You can shoot recreationally on most State Forests lands in MN. There are exceptions to this though, for example recreational shooting is n ot allowed in Sand Dunes state forest. You can go up to Chenwatana, or Rum River State forests of of 35 and 169 respectively.

Personally, after many close call situations that have occurred to me at these free ranges and the general sense of lawlessness, I took the leap to join a Gun Club. Personally I am A Memeber of isanti County Sportsmans Club, which is about $100 a year. I know there ore some other clubs off the west end of the cities (Rainbow, Gopher) that are no wait memberships, just make payment and go shoot. The nature of gun club membership creates a respect for safety and grounds and tends to be much more comfortable for most shooters. And spending $100 to be able to go out and spend entire days at the range, shooting at my own pace and relaxing is well worth the small investment.

I will PM you locations of Chengy and Rum River though.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby my1stpistol on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:49 am

Ditto on Chengwatana. They have been doing some work on the 2 pits as well.
my1stpistol

Postby CZscout on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 pm

There are many Sportsmen clubs with pistol and rifle ranges around the metro, join one!

Yearly dues are $20 to $200 or so depending on the club.

Good Luck.
CZscout

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 pm

There have been a lot of posts on similar topics. You may find useful information if you search the topic and read the past discussions. Essentially, the conclusion I got was that there isn't anything super close, so joining a club is the next best thing. If you come across any places close to the SE suburbs, let me know.

Good luck.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby carbide on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks for the responses. Before joining this forum, I had searched local gun clubs, and emailed a few about membership information. ZERO responded :roll:
carbide

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:02 pm

I have done my fair share of shooting in state forests. It is worth the$35-40 to join a local range. I like rainbow sportsmans and gopher campfire. Both are about an hour from the cities. The are going to be safer to shoot at and have nice benches, covered shooting areas and great camping. There are other similar clubs on the area that are cheap and don't have waiting lists. Just send in your money and you are in
Sigfan220

Postby BigMorgan on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm

I enjoy heading over to Hudson Rod Gun & Archery Club: http://www.hudsongunclub.com/

Open to the public Tuesdays in the summer and Saturday and Sunday year-round. $15/shooter, if I recall correctly. If you are trying to stretch your rifle's "legs" it won't do much good but for generally poking holes in paper with your pistol or plinker it's good to go.

It's always fun to head up to the State Forests and make a mess with cantaloupes and oranges and pop cans - just don't be one of the losers that leaves your trash behind, please! ;)
BigMorgan

Postby hard h2o on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:01 pm

carbide wrote:Thanks for the responses. Before joining this forum, I had searched local gun clubs, and emailed a few about membership information. ZERO responded :roll:

Have you been over to Oakdale Gun Club?
hard h2o

Postby MJY65 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:00 am

carbide wrote:Thanks for the responses. Before joining this forum, I had searched local gun clubs, and emailed a few about membership information. ZERO responded :roll:

That was close to my experience as well. Those that did respond tended to have a 5 page set of rules and hours that were designed perfectly for retired guys.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind paying a fairly substantial fee for use of a shooting range at my convenience and without a self appointed retired range guardian hovering over me. Someplace that takes the money and hires people to mow, maintain, etc., or just a plain old gravel pit with a bench.
MJY65

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:19 am

MJY65 wrote:

That was close to my experience as well. Those that did respond tended to have a 5 page set of rules and hours that were designed perfectly for retired guys.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind paying a fairly substantial fee for use of a shooting range at my convenience and without a self appointed retired range guardian hovering over me. Someplace that takes the money and hires people to mow, maintain, etc., or just a plain old gravel pit with a bench.

I've never had any problems acquiring information from the respective clubs' web sites to attain membership.
Gun clubs are not country clubs. The maintenance and safe operation are cooperative efforts of/ for the mutual benefit of the membership.

Granted, you can't dump that old couch down range and proceed to shoot it up at midnight.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 am

xd ED wrote:I've never had any problems acquiring information from the respective clubs' web sites to attain membership.
Gun clubs are not country clubs. The maintenance and safe operation are cooperative efforts of/ for the mutual benefit of the membership.

Granted, you can't dump that old couch down range and proceed to shoot it up at midnight.

I must be looking in the wrong places. I don't want or need a country club, but if I can pay a bit extra to hire a kid to cut the weeds, I'd be up for that. I also don't need to shoot a couch, but being able to shoot some steel, or something other than a paper target on a frame would be nice. I'm generally sleeping at midnight, so dawn to dusk would be fine.
MJY65

Postby BigBlue on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:54 am

MJY65 wrote:Seriously, I wouldn't mind paying a fairly substantial fee for use of a shooting range at my convenience and without a self appointed retired range guardian hovering over me. Someplace that takes the money and hires people to mow, maintain, etc., or just a plain old gravel pit with a bench.

Sounds a lot like Minnetonka Game & Fish Club: http://www.mgfc.org/

Their web site is underwhelming but the facility is very nice. Lots of different types of ranges. No RSO hovering. Usually can find a range to yourself if you choose a quiet time.

BB
Last edited by BigBlue on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlue

Postby karlobag on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:59 am

If you live in the North Metro, try Beaverbrook. Come by and take a look on Sunday's from noon to 4:00.

http://beaverbrook.us/
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Next

Return to General Gun Chat