Have you ever overpaid by more than $200-$300 for a gun?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby hirdlej on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:13 pm

At what point does a person determine that they're crazy for overpaying for a gun? I've been in the market now for the last 4 years to buy a NIB example of a Ruger Mark II with a 10" bull bbl. Each time one comes up in the $600 range, I am always a day late. They get snatched up instantly. It's been a long time since I've seen one for sale (a couple years now) but I have one being presented to me. The seller wants $900 delivered for the pistol. I can't reason with myself to figure if I should just put myself out of my misery and pay the $900, or keep waiting to find one for that $600-$650 mark. What would you guys do? What have you done? I just hate losing money on firearms but it would complete my collection of Ruger pistols. Is overpaying by $300 just to get something ridiculous? Especially on a .22auto pistol? Thoughts and opinions welcome.
hirdlej

Re: Have you ever overpaid by more than $200-$300 for a gun?

Postby Tronster on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:32 pm

If it's extremely rare or exceptionally great condition, sure.

If it's a run of the mill that comes up for sale now and then without too much difficulty, then no.
Tronster

Postby MJY65 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:16 am

I've done it a couple of times. If you're buying it for a collection and not planning to sell it any time soon, the extra will soon be forgotten. Your satisfaction will remain.
MJY65

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:27 am

If you will spend 300 worth of time and frustration trying to find the gun for 600 it is worth it. Who cares what anyone else thinks, it's your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:18 am

I purchased an NIB model 52-2 for a ridiculous high price. But, they just don't exist NIB, I looked for almost 4 years, even when they were made they were rare, and 2 years later I could resell it for a lot more than I paid.

It is the only gun I've paid over original retail for, it is also the only technically 'used' gun I own. So buying new typically I pay under retail and I have some connections in the industry so sometimes get a steal of a deal.
mmcnx2

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:23 am

Yes, back in 1985 I paid several hundred more than I should have to purchase the LAST model of Ruger rifles I needed to complete my "Made in 200th year of American Liberty" collection. Over spent but was happy about it !!!!!!!!!
Someone must have gotten ahold of my information because two days later while I was at work, my house and gun room was broken into and my entire Ruger collection was stolen, never to be recovered. I'm sure it is someone else's private collection now. They never even touched my Remington, Winchester, Browning, or other firearms.
My gun room was secure except for one wall, which they came thru instead of even trying the locked door. Inside job ?????? Never have been able to figure out how they knew which wall to come thru (mated to bathroom wall with pipes in it for in-room sprinkler system).
Serial Numbers have never had a single hit - so I know its all together in someone else's collection. Not just rifles, but all revolvers too except one.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:23 am

Yes, I am an addict and have a problem. I admitted it long ago but still refuse to get help. I tell my friends and family that when I go to the Gopher breakfast or the gun lunches that I am going to a support group but we all know that is a lie. My boss is my enabler because despite the fact that he knows he still provides me with a paycheck. My doctor says that statistically my addiction puts me in a higher risk category. The news media tell me that my addiction is not socially acceptable. Now I while I am generally a frugal purchaser and always check multiple sources for the best deal, when the addiction strikes and the sources are limited because the item is rare or unique or perhaps it is a specific model and the "right" one. Well, ....

I plan to live my life as a functional gun addict.
Holland&Holland

Postby LePetomane on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:32 am

hirdlej,

It's your $$$. If you want something bad enough and are willing to pay the asking price then you are not overpaying. I am a minimalist, my handgun collection consists of two revolvers, two semiautomatics, two rifles and a shotgun with no plans for anything more.

Bottom line: It's your $$$.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:39 am

Just do it
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Yes, I am an addict and have a problem. I admitted it long ago but still refuse to get help. I tell my friends and family that when I go to the Gopher breakfast or the gun lunches that I am going to a support group but we all know that is a lie. My boss is my enabler because despite the fact that he knows he still provides me with a paycheck. My doctor says that statistically my addiction puts me in a higher risk category. The news media tell me that my addiction is not socially acceptable. Now I while I am generally a frugal purchaser and always check multiple sources for the best deal, when the addiction strikes and the sources are limited because the item is rare or unique or perhaps it is a specific model and the "right" one. Well, ....

I plan to live my life as a functional gun addict.

From one addict to another...well said. In addition this support group is nice but it really is not have the affect most support groups are suppose to have. Seems they tend to encourage repeat offending.
mmcnx2

Postby onebohemian on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:51 pm

For $900, I might sell you one of mine. That is crazy. Daily review of Gunbroker would be my choice before spending 900 on a mark ii.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby hirdlej on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:44 pm

onebohemiam, you have a PM.
hirdlej

Postby crbutler on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:47 pm

I have paid over a few times.

The first two were when I did not know any better and got taken by unscrupulous folks. I am still mad about those, and refuse to deal with those people any more.

I have more recently paid more to get something out of normal purchasing. I knew going in it was over retail, but that was what it was. Those folks were actually apologetic about the price. I still will deal with them. I do think that a 30%+ markup is excessive though.
crbutler

Postby smurfman on Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Yes, mostly to fill out a collection I am working on. Finding something like a Stevens 425, Remington Model 30, or a Standard Arms Model G in 30, 32, and especially 25 calibers can be daunting. What the "book" says they are worth and the price demand/opportunity puts on them are quite different.

I have also paid too much for a new gun, an American Arms Silver II. At $500 in the early 90s it was at least $300 more than than it was worth. Another $150 and I could have had a new Browning Citori or Beretta equivalent. The lesson I learned probably saved me more than $300 since then so maybe it was not a total loss.
smurfman

Postby MnHornet on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm usually disappointed when I think I paid retail.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Next

Return to General Gun Chat