"Saturday Night Special" Law

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

"Saturday Night Special" Law

Postby djont57 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:23 am

I purchased a Heritage Rough Rider with alloy frame on gunbroker. My FFL says he can not transfer this gun due to the melting point of the zinc alloy. (Saturday Night Special" law 624.712 & 624.716) The gunbroker seller claims this only applies to the sale of, not the transfer. Who's right?
djont57

Re: "Saturday Night Special" Law

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:19 am

It doesn't matter who's right. If your FFL refuses to do the transfer, whether he's right or not, you're screwed.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby PRS on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 am

The MN FFL is right
6.Transfer. "Transfer" means a sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another, whether or not for consideration, of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or the frame or receiver of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

It's a gross misdemeanor to an MN FFL to transfer a Saturday Night Special.
PRS

Postby DonT on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 am

The sure way to get the correct answer is to send an email to the local ATF branch. I have always found them to be quick (usually within a day or two, which to me is reasonable) to respond and very professional. I have done this on a number of occasion and found them very helpful.

Then you will have your answer directly from the "Horses Mouth" to take to the FFL or to notify the seller.

Don
DonT
DonT

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:10 am

PRS wrote:The MN FFL is right
6.Transfer. "Transfer" means a sale, gift, loan, assignment or other delivery to another, whether or not for consideration, of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or the frame or receiver of a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

It's a gross misdemeanor to an MN FFL to transfer a Saturday Night Special.

Well 716 states "sell" not transfer, so it is an interesting question. I would have "assumed" and have always heard that it was in fact "Transfer" but ...
Holland&Holland

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am

If I were the FFL I'd probably be leery of putting jail-time on the line based on the legal interpretation of a single word to collect a $25 transfer fee for a $150 revolver. The cost to defend one's self even if found in the right could still spell the end of their livelihood.
yuppiejr

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 am

yuppiejr wrote:If I were the FFL I'd probably be leery of putting jail-time on the line based on the legal interpretation of a single word to collect a $25 transfer fee for a $150 revolver. The cost to defend one's self even if found in the right could still spell the end of their livelihood.

I agree wholeheartedly but it is an interesting question.
Holland&Holland

Postby Hmac on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:10 pm

DonT wrote:The sure way to get the correct answer is to send an email to the local ATF branch. I have always found them to be quick (usually within a day or two, which to me is reasonable) to respond and very professional. I have done this on a number of occasion and found them very helpful.

Then you will have your answer directly from the "Horses Mouth" to take to the FFL or to notify the seller.

Don

It's a Minnesota state statute. ATF's opinion on this subject is totally irrelevant.
Hmac

Postby maddhunter on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:39 pm

Had the same experience with Palmetto. Ordered a Colt/Walther Government .22 and PSA wanted me to call my FFL and see if he would accept the transfer. Of course the answer was no. Too bad -- it was a super price on the Colt. But now I know why. Was made out of fake metal!!
maddhunter

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Always contact your receiving FFL before having a gun shipped. Let them know your name, number, and what type of firearm you purchased. It can save yourself a lot of headaches.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby MaryB on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Odd I see lots of HiPoints sold and they melt at less than 1,000f... made from zamack
MaryB

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:15 pm

A lot of guns found for sale here fit the bill, like all Chiappa 22 pistols etc are under the melting point.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 pm

maddhunter wrote:Had the same experience with Palmetto. Ordered a Colt/Walther Government .22 and PSA wanted me to call my FFL and see if he would accept the transfer. Of course the answer was no. Too bad -- it was a super price on the Colt. But now I know why. Was made out of fake metal!!

Ordered that Colt/Walther from and purchased at Joes sporting goods a while back. I like it a lot. I've seen them for sale at other locations.
Ghost

Postby carbide on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:40 pm

N00b here, can someone explain the just of the saturday night special law? Is it to prevent cheapo guns from being available?
carbide

Postby unfitmother on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:52 pm

Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Next

Return to General Gun Chat