"Saturday Night Special" Law

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: "Saturday Night Special" Law

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:02 am

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.712

Sat night special laws are state laws with most others being 800 degrees which makes ours even worse than others.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:16 am

Every discussion I've read on SNSs focused on (1) - the material's melting point.
I'm curious if (2) or (3) ever become factors in disqalifing pistols in MN.

Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol. "Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:
(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or
(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or
(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

"Saturday Night Special" Law

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:54 am

The melting point of glass reinforced DuPont Zytel is around 600 degrees F. The tensile strength is around 20,000 psi. So are Glocks & all other polymer pistols Saturday Night Specials?

The SNS laws are designed to keep inner city poor from having access to affordable firearms. The original gun control laws were to keep freed slaves from having firearms. Modern expensive gun permits and extensive training requirements in Chicago and DC are intended to keep poor inner city minorities from having guns. Good thing progressives aren't racist.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby djont57 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 am

Also; does a comprehensive list of disqualified firearms exist?
djont57

Re:

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am

PhilaBOR wrote:The melting point of glass reinforced DuPont Zytel is around 600 degrees F

It might melt or warp at 600 degrees, but it doesn't completely melt (liquidus temperature). The glass reinforced Nylon-6 used in the Glock has a melting point of 420 degrees but you would have a hard time ever bringing it to a liquidus state. It would burn and decompose long before that happened.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 am

djont57 wrote:I purchased a Heritage Rough Rider with alloy frame on gunbroker. My FFL says he can not transfer this gun due to the melting point of the zinc alloy. (Saturday Night Special" law 624.712 & 624.716) The gunbroker seller claims this only applies to the sale of, not the transfer. Who's right?

Granted I don't know the model but in checking a couple rough riders on gun genie I don't get the warning when having them quoted that I do when quoting a chiappa. Check to see what FFL's come up for the model you ordered and use them. I'm pretty sure I've seen some of them in the case at Gander in the past (I know nothing about heritage so they may be different models).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/
Ghost

Postby maddhunter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:43 am

So how is Joe's able to sell the Colt/Walther pistol if it is indeed a SNS? And what was the asking price "Ghost".
maddhunter

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:00 am

DISCLAIMER: This info may be as good as what you paid for it.

maddhunter wrote:So how is Joe's able to sell the Colt/Walther pistol if it is indeed a SNS? And what was the asking price "Ghost".

It may be that they don't follow the law, I don't know. I had no idea you couldn't/shouldn't buy them. I saw one in the case at J&S thought I should research it. Decided I should own one. I saw Joes had them for about $100 less than J&S on their website so I ordered it to store and picked it up. I think it was around $400 for the gold cup model, best price at the time. It really is a nice gun and sized nearly the same if not identical to my other colt 1911's. Probably have 3000+ rounds through it. Biggest problem is getting magazines, I think I have 10 of them now.

I've taken some screen shots of Davidsons of a Chiappa vs Heritage, Joes also shows up selling the Heritage lines.

Chiappa, Notice it won't let me continue, warning circled

Heritage with sellers
Ghost

Postby maddhunter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 am

Yes I tried to order the Chiappa's in the past and was unable to do so.
PSA had the Colt/Walther Gold Cup Model on sale for $229.00 plus $8.50 shipping! Now you can feel my pain.
maddhunter

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

I worked with Chiappa on trying to help them get into those states and when they couldn't they added the warning. You still see a lot of them getting in to MN. I'm guessing many of the replica type 22's (most of the 1911 style 22's) also don't work under our law but they still are sold here by a lot of dealers.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby bensdad on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

Well, I officially conclude that everyone who's participated in this thread knows more about the SNS law than most FFL's. I've personally purchased a Heritage Rough Rider .22 from Cabelas. The Chiappa and Heritage are both available at multiple FFL's in the metro. I have a friend who had 3 of them transferred to Atomic Tactical (local FFL). Either nobody knows, or nobody gives a ****.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby djont57 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 am

Ghost wrote:
djont57 wrote:I purchased a Heritage Rough Rider with alloy frame on gunbroker. My FFL says he can not transfer this gun due to the melting point of the zinc alloy. (Saturday Night Special" law 624.712 & 624.716) The gunbroker seller claims this only applies to the sale of, not the transfer. Who's right?

Granted I don't know the model but in checking a couple rough riders on gun genie I don't get the warning when having them quoted that I do when quoting a chiappa. Check to see what FFL's come up for the model you ordered and use them. I'm pretty sure I've seen some of them in the case at Gander in the past (I know nothing about heritage so they may be different models).

Yes, that is why I thought it was OK. But, my research since than indicates that there are some Rough Riders that have a steel frame.
djont57

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 am

Not all Rough Rider's are pot metal. Some are made steel. The ones at Cabela's are steel framed models, when they have had the other models on sale I have seen where is states not for sale in MN.
Holland&Holland

Postby maddhunter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:09 am

bensdad wrote:Well, I officially conclude that everyone who's participated in this thread knows more about the SNS law than most FFL's. I've personally purchased a Heritage Rough Rider .22 from Cabelas. The Chiappa and Heritage are both available at multiple FFL's in the metro. I have a friend who had 3 of them transferred to Atomic Tactical (local FFL). Either nobody knows, or nobody gives a ****.

Unfortunately you may be closer to the truth than you realize. When PSA told me to consult with my FFL about accepting transfer of the Colt, he himself did not know that they were on the "banned" list. After I disclosed the fact to him, he of course and understandably stated he could not legally do the transfer. Long story short, I wound up missing out on a good deal, but did not "scam " anyone.
maddhunter

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:12 am

djont57 wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Yes, that is why I thought it was OK. But, my research since than indicates that there are some Rough Riders that have a steel frame.

I specifically priced the one with the alloy frame on gun genie above.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat