ATF to reclassify / ban M855 ammo next month?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 am

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/ ... rposes.pdf

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015021 ... ar-15-ammo

Summary - m855/ss109 5.56 caliber ammo ("green tip") was exempted because of its primary use in sporting rifles, with the rise in AR pistols it is now considered AP handgun ammo and is under review next month to be banned from sale. Not a bad time to buy as a hedge while prices are low...

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal ... 53720.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Re: ATF to reclassify / ban M855 ammo next month?

Postby farmerj on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:13 am

There's better ammo on the market.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:15 am

farmerj wrote:There's better ammo on the market.

True, but that isn't the point...

yuppiejr

Postby farmerj on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:20 am

And I see your post similar to all the other fear mongering of banning guns and ammo that drove the prices through the roof in the first place.

So....it's got a steel core. I'm surprised its lasted this long on the market. Claim all you want that the it's for design reasons not related to ap. It still has a penetrating factor.

Personally, I think k its a ******** excuse. The actual velocity really makes in more dangerous like a couple other rounds I know. Kevlar was never designed or intended to work at those velocities.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:27 am

Did you even bother reading the notice provided by the ATF or the analysis provided by the NRA? Don't drink your coffee too fast, you might burn your ass cheeks...

By way of background, federal law imposed in 1986 prohibits the manufacture, importation, and sale by licensed manufacturers or importers, but not possession, of “a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely . . . from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium.” Because there are handguns capable of firing M855, it “may be used in a handgun.” It does not, however, have a core made of the metals listed in the law; rather, it has a traditional lead core with a steel tip, and therefore should never have been considered “armor piercing.” Nonetheless, BATFE previously declared M855 to be “armor piercing ammunition,” but granted it an exemption as a projectile “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.”

I agree it's a garbage excuse-stretch by the ATF and, as has been demonstrated on various AR500 targets that get shot through with holes by varmint rifles, it's all about velocity (M855 pits it up real good though).
yuppiejr

Postby farmerj on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 am

yuppiejr wrote:Did you even bother reading the notice provided by the ATF or the analysis provided by the NRA? Don't drink your coffee too fast, you might burn your ass cheeks...

By way of background, federal law imposed in 1986 prohibits the manufacture, importation, and sale by licensed manufacturers or importers, but not possession, of “a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely . . . from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium.” Because there are handguns capable of firing M855, it “may be used in a handgun.” It does not, however, have a core made of the metals listed in the law; rather, it has a traditional lead core with a steel tip, and therefore should never have been considered “armor piercing.” Nonetheless, BATFE previously declared M855 to be “armor piercing ammunition,” but granted it an exemption as a projectile “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes.”

I agree it's a garbage excuse-stretch by the ATF and, as has been demonstrated on various AR500 targets that get shot through with holes by varmint rifles, it's all about velocity (M855 pits it up real good though).

I stand by my comment earlier. People have been butt hurt over the whole steel core issue since it came out. And it's refreshing to see that it still exists some 25+ years later.

But then again, BATF-E should be a convenience store, not a gov't agency too.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby photogpat on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:28 am

This just continues their assault on rifle caliber semi auto "pistols".

The armor piercing definition is such a slippery slope I can't even keep my footing.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Yep...

First it was the "steel core" 7.62x39 back in '94: http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Then it was the 5.45x39, 7N6... http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

... in theory all it takes is one guy sticking one one of the 50 BMG AR uppers on a pistol lower to put those lathe turned bronze bullets on the list... what about the all copper hunting and barrier blind bullets + loaded ammo being manufactured (Barnes TSX series, etc..) and fired in AR15/AR10 platform pistols that share common bullets with other centerfire cartridges? What about the importation of ammo featuring projectiles with bimetal (copper washed steel) jackets that can be fired from the same AR15/AR10 style pistols (Wolf, Barnul, Brown/Silver bear, etc..)?

Does anyone believe the current DOJ is going to do anything about this unless a new AG is appointed in 2016? Look at the stonewalling they provided congress when they came calling over the Fast and Furious debacle...
yuppiejr

Postby MaryB on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Congress can pass a law stating it is NOT armor piercing and allowed for sale.
MaryB

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:11 am

Congress can send a bill to the president, which he will veto and they lack the votes to override.

yuppiejr

Postby AFTERMATH on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:23 pm

They don't have to bother now, it's all gone... Again...
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:26 pm

What a difference a day makes, was running $444-450 a case shipped yesterday from dozens of sources, looks like every online supplier that had Federal XM855 in stock is wiped out completely today.

Here's an option for some linked MAST ammo on 100 round belts, made in the Lake City plant and uses the SS109 bullet as M855 loaded to the same spec... no green tip though: http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/MAST-223 ... ed-800.htm

$0.41 cents a round before shipping, get there fast...
yuppiejr

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Well I bought a couple cases on Friday. I'll either add them to my ammo fort or neck beard them someday to cover the costs of my thermal/night vision goals for the year.
Ghost

Postby MXGreg on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Some of the auctions on Gunbroker are already ending at $1+ per round. I wonder if Walmart and Fleetfarm had a rush on this stuff?
MXGreg

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:15 pm

Yep, WalMarts online inventory went from in stock to "limited availability" on all Federal XM855 this morning... For the first time in a while Gander might be below current market price.

yuppiejr

Next

Return to General Gun Chat