armslist....

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

armslist....

Postby greenfarmer on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 pm

Ok, normally I never usually want to sell any guns. But there's a couple in the safe that 1, I don't shoot ever.. and I mean ever... And 2, there's one in the safe that I bought new almost 2 years ago, and it's never had a round in the mag even. Still has the factory grease on it. And I just wouldn't mind sending them down the road and maybe look at something a little different.

So I decided to advertise on armslist.... Well, unless I know the person, and know he has a ptc or ptp, I would prefer to meet at an FFL, and I will pay for the transfer. Especially in light of what has happened here a couple weeks ago with the city council shooting. I don't want anything falling back on me.

Well, I got kind of a mean email. Someone told me I should drop the price if I want to meet at an FFL and pay for a transfer. So, am I out of line? The way I see it is, they are my toys, and i'm the one selling them. Either you want to play in my gym, or i'll take my toys and go home. Am I in the right? Or is it just be being a D*&^)head?
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Re: armslist....

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Your guns, your rules, there's nothing out of line with wanting to have an FFL transfer the firearm for you, nor do I see it having any impact on the value.
yuppiejr

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:25 pm

you are correct. From what I've read and seen, you get guys that try to bully you into doing things that benefit only them. If you are happy with the price and the process, then stick to it. It sounds like you aren't in any particular hurry, so let the whiners whine and let the bone fide buyers buy. Your game, you set the rules - if the market doesn't like your rules, you may not sell your items. in the end you have to be comfortable and that is all there is to it.

That's my $.02.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby greenfarmer on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought too.. My toys, my rules. But wasn't sure. First time advertising on there. I didn't think I was completely out of line with my prices. Maybe I am a little high, but I don't know.

Just ones I never shoot, and thought maybe send them off to someone that would get more enjoyment out of them, and I could look into something that I would enjoy more. But if nobody buys them, then nobody buys them. They can sit in the safe too.

I kinda felt like maybe the guy who emailed me was just trying to get around having to do an FFL. I'm sure it wouldn't be real hard to make up a fake PTP or PTC, so I just want to make sure my butt is covered. No different than me buying a gun from someone on here. If they asked if we could do an FFL transfer, and offered to pay to cover their butt, i'd gladly do it. Gives them peace of mind. I was offering to pay on my adds, so it's not like it's any extra cash out of their pocket. And even willing to meet at an FFL of their choice. So, I just felt someone was maybe trying to pull the wool over my eyes on something.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:13 pm

you should list them here also. Never know who might jump.

Good luck with the sale.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Sorry, gonna play the devil's advocate here. Lot of buyers on Armslist look for local sales to save the FFL transfer fees which depending on who you use can add a lot to the cost of doing business. If you want to do that type of sale I think you would be better off offering to ship to their FFL assuming you now have listed a NO SHIPPING.

Seeing a copy of their drivers license already covers your behind. Has not been any cases of MN seller being brought back in for a gun used in a crime. Guessing that is because of the way the law is written (well I might add) where it just says you are not aware of the buyer being unable to purchase a firearm. CYA a bit more if need be by having them sign a bill of sale stating that they are able to purchase a firearm. As far as them using fake ID, lying on the bill of sale etc it's not your problem at that point.

I'm sure I have bought and sold at least 20 guns on line and with local purchases and I for one would not drive the extra or pay the extra to meet at your FFL unless the gun you where selling was enough lower than everyone else sells it for to cover those expenses and my time. Not that I care about using an FFL but do care about the extra $$.

Have not purchased on Armslist since this morning but it's been 3 months since I sold one locally.

No idea if this is one of yours but here is an EXAMPLE http://www.armslist.com/posts/4038597/m ... made-in-mn

Desert Eagle for $1450 cash plus driving to FFL and paying FFL fees makes the gun over priced for me even though it might be in line with others at $1600 without the BS.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm

As I look further I'm guessing it is one of your ads since they are the only 3 guns for sale in MN that have NO for shipping and require the buyer to meet at your FFL. Stand by your method if you like but I'm guessing you might be holding them for quite some time and/or getting some disparaging emails from potential customers.

Aaaaannnnndddd if that is the case just let the bad emails roll off your back without replies. That's what the Delete button is meant for IMO.
LarryFlew

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:43 pm

If those are his posts it indicates he is paying the FFL transfer fee... I don't see the problem? If a buyer is afraid/opposed to doing the deal through an FFL with you covering the costs I'd consider that a big red flag.
yuppiejr

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:52 pm

I've bought and traded many guns on Armslist. Seeing a DL and PTP/PTC is good enough for me and legal. A simple bill of sale with Ser.#, Name, city, and signature. Period. I will not give a stranger my DL number and home address. Just asking to be burglarized or even swatted by a nutso. Going through an FFL means no sale to me too. No red flag - I just use FFLs enough for new guns. Why add frequency of purchases to the gov databank if not needed? Do be aware of the common scams - out of state ID, gift for Dad/husband, forgot wallet- but remembered cash.

Seller can certainly require all of the above, but it will sure shrink the buyers pool.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:03 pm

yuppiejr wrote:If those are his posts it indicates he is paying the FFL transfer fee... I don't see the problem? If a buyer is afraid/opposed to doing the deal through an FFL with you covering the costs I'd consider that a big red flag.

In his case we are both West Metro so it wouldn't be a big deal to do his FFL but lets say the same scenario and he is East St. Paul - better be a REALLY good price well below anyone else for me. Didn't check values on the other 2 but just the DE for me would be overpriced with the hassles but close to in line with current Gunbroker prices without the hassle. Not a LOT better than others are selling which is what it would take for me to be a buyer with the extra hassle. He does say OBO so I'd be in for lets say $1300 and the hassle (not really since I have one) but that is probably less than he would like to do.
LarryFlew

Postby LePetomane on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Just make sure you file the serial number off. :lol: :D
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Your guns your rules wait till somebody meets your terms if they sell they sell if not then you've lost nothing.
Ghost

Postby justinvan on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I say his guns his rules. Like others have said if somebody is affraid of nics check I wouldnt sell to them anyways. If they dont like it delete there email end eff em!
justinvan

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
yuppiejr wrote:If those are his posts it indicates he is paying the FFL transfer fee... I don't see the problem? If a buyer is afraid/opposed to doing the deal through an FFL with you covering the costs I'd consider that a big red flag.

In his case we are both West Metro so it wouldn't be a big deal to do his FFL but lets say the same scenario and he is East St. Paul - better be a REALLY good price well below anyone else for me. Didn't check values on the other 2 but just the DE for me would be overpriced with the hassles but close to in line with current Gunbroker prices without the hassle. Not a LOT better than others are selling which is what it would take for me to be a buyer with the extra hassle. He does say OBO so I'd be in for lets say $1300 and the hassle (not really since I have one) but that is probably less than he would like to do.

... negotiating on a common location to meet is pretty much standard fare for any forum/armslist/craigslist trade I've been a part of, on the plus side making such a transaction inside of a well-lit gun shop where somebody trying to rob you is much less likely than an anonymous parking lot seems like a big plus for someone carrying $1300 in cash.
yuppiejr

Postby benny on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Just a note on the transfer fees, some FFL's charge you a fee and the buyer a fee. So if you want to pat the fee's you could end up spending $20 to $60 depending on how much the FFL will charge.

Benny
benny

Next

Return to General Gun Chat