Suppressor, Second Amendment bills hearing scheduled!

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby jshuberg on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:08 pm

It's time to legalize suppressors in Minnesota and take back our Second Amendment rights!

The first of our pro-rights bills are scheduled to be heard next week. The hearings are open to the public, and we need you there to show our strength!

The House Public Safety Committee has scheduled a hearing for three GOCRA-supported bills we want to see passed this year.

The hearing will be held at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, March 12 in room 10 of the State Office Building, near the State Capitol, and will include these three bills:

HF1434Rep. Mark Anderson‘s bill would legalize firearm suppressors in Minnesota for all lawful purposes.
See our briefing on sound suppressors

HF372Rep. Jim Nash‘s bill would remove the obsolete notification requirement for permit holders who enter any Capitol Area state building.
See our briefing on Capitol carry

HF830Rep. Eric Lucero‘s bill would, after 29 years, update Minnesota law to make it clear that Minnesotans are allowed to buy long guns in other states.
See our briefing on long gun purchase in other states

The committee will also hear Rep. Dan Fabian‘s HF305, which would add recognition of North Dakota carry permits in Minnesota.

Please come if you can, wear a GOCRA t-shirt (or another maroon shirt) and make your presence known!
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Re: Suppressor, Second Amendment bills hearing scheduled!

Postby Ranb on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 am

Details on speaking at committee hearings; FAQ

You can also watch committee action live and find archival footage here; Link

Randy
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby photogpat on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:38 am

I predict a wildly entertaining day on Thursday. If you've never come down for a hearing before....I highly recommend it. The process is interesting and the testimony given will be either factual (our side) or wildly off the mark (anti gun side).

Followed by Coneys at the Gopher of course.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby jshuberg on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 pm

It's important that we get a good turnout for this. It helps to establish the interest level of the public for all our bills moving forward. If it's possible to attend, please do.

Thanks much!
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:12 pm

The anti - gun crazies will all be turned out in full force - they're busing in the church groups from Mpls again.

Oh this is going to be fun with Cornish in charge.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby shooter115 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Since I can't be there, I gave GOCRA $20 instead. Go get 'em!
shooter115

Postby Ranb on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:11 pm

A word of advice. Dress nice, shave or trim your bread. Do not wear camo, T-shirts or anything with so-called "gun nut" slogans no matter how benign they are. If you have a suit, wear it. Leave your guns at home if allowed to carry in the building. I don't have a suit so when I speak in Olympia I dress like a nerd.

When you arrive and sign in (if that it the process) introduce yourselves to each other and briefly discuss what you will say. This will avoid repeating what others have said. If you all review each other's statements, you can help prevent saying anything false.

Has anyone here ever spoke at a committee hearing before? The FAQ I linked to above says in part;
Contact the committee's administrator or legislative assistant. If you want to testify, make sure you are on the committee meeting agenda. It's best to contact the committee a day or two before the hearing to do this. But, time permitting, it's possible to sign up and testify on same day of the hearing.

Does a person really need to contact the committee staff in advance of the hearing date? In WA we just show up early to sign in and hope we are near enough to the top of the list to speak. I think some of the more well known lobbyists contact ahead of time to ensure they get first chance to speak in WA. I arrived 90 minutes in advance one day for gun bill hearings (bkgd checks) and there were at least 100 people ahead of me.

The last time I was at a committee hearing we noticed a young lady with a staff badge on. She was reviewing the http://www.AR15.com gun forum. Assume that anything you post on this forum is read by your legislators

Randy
My gun collection has killed at least five fewer people than the Kennedy clan has with automobiles, airplanes and golf clubs.
Ranb

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Looking forward to being there.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MaryB on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Why leave your carry gun at home when it is legal to carry it in the building? To me that is giving in to them. Concealed who is going to know besides capitol police.
MaryB

Postby jshuberg on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Carrying is perfectly fine, provided that you have a permit and have notified the commissioner of public safety first. It is recommended that you conceal. Some people see open carrying as an attempt to intimidate. While this obviously isn't our intention, we don't want to give the wrong impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby goett047 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:45 pm

These are all important and very common sense issues that to quote the White House "everybody should agree on"
goett047

Postby Ranb on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:27 am

MaryB wrote:Why leave your carry gun at home when it is legal to carry it in the building? To me that is giving in to them. Concealed who is going to know besides capitol police.

It is a matter of politics. Trying to convince people that firearms (like silencers) are benign is harder to do when they are in their face. Carrying openly intimidates the sheep who try to make policy. Concealed carry is fine.

Randy
Ranb

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Ranb wrote:A word of advice. Dress nice, shave or trim your bread. Do not wear camo, T-shirts or anything with so-called "gun nut" slogans no matter how benign they are. If you have a suit, wear it. Leave your guns at home if allowed to carry in the building. I don't have a suit so when I speak in Olympia I dress like a nerd.

When you arrive and sign in (if that it the process) introduce yourselves to each other and briefly discuss what you will say. This will avoid repeating what others have said. If you all review each other's statements, you can help prevent saying anything false.

Has anyone here ever spoke at a committee hearing before? The FAQ I linked to above says in part;
Contact the committee's administrator or legislative assistant. If you want to testify, make sure you are on the committee meeting agenda. It's best to contact the committee a day or two before the hearing to do this. But, time permitting, it's possible to sign up and testify on same day of the hearing.

Does a person really need to contact the committee staff in advance of the hearing date? In WA we just show up early to sign in and hope we are near enough to the top of the list to speak. I think some of the more well known lobbyists contact ahead of time to ensure they get first chance to speak in WA. I arrived 90 minutes in advance one day for gun bill hearings (bkgd checks) and there were at least 100 people ahead of me.

The last time I was at a committee hearing we noticed a young lady with a staff badge on. She was reviewing the http://www.AR15.com gun forum. Assume that anything you post on this forum is read by your legislators

Randy

DO wear your maroon GOCRA t-shirt if you have one. You can wear it over a nicer shirt or under a suit coat
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Doubletap.
Last edited by PhilaBOR on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby jshuberg on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 pm

If you don't have a GOCRA maroon shirt, any maroon-ish colored shirt will indicate which side you're on. We want there to be as many maroon shirts as possible, so it's plainly obvious how many supporters are in attendance. This is the first pro-gun hearing of 2015, we need to come out strong with a visible sea of support.

The anti-gun cultists are going to be bussing people in again for this hearing. Please pass the info along to all your pro-gun buddies. If you can't make it yourself, try to find 2 people that can make it in your stead. There's no such thing as too many supporters at a pro-gun committee hearing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Next

Return to General Gun Chat