The good old days?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

The good old days?

Postby ROADGUY on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:47 pm

I was doing some cleaning when I found a Guns & ammo from 1975 (home defense issue). I wasn't born yet but some of the info still holds true today & hasn't changed much. But when I looked at the pictures of kids with guns & how to familiarize them with firearms I found it interesting. If they still used pictures & info like this today imagine the public outcry. Plus I drooled over the price of a brand new Colt. I guess the days of low prices & bins of military surplus rifles are truly in the past. 8-)
Attachments
030.JPG
029.JPG
028.JPG
027.JPG
ROADGUY

Re: The good old days?

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 pm

I got my first pistol, a Belgian Browning Hi-Power in 1972, and I was really pissed off because they had just had a price increase from $92.50 to $114.50. A $22 price increase??? @#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()

BTW, still got the gun, most of the bluing is worn off where my fingers touched the grip, but it still shoots the same.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby cobb on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:51 pm

Had a S/N Colt 5" Commercial from the 1972 year on my table at the last gun show. Original owner stopped buy and said that he bought it for about $180 new back then.

Worth a bit more than that now.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:20 pm

ROADGUY wrote: But when I looked at the pictures of kids with guns & how to familiarize them with firearms I found it interesting. If they still used pictures & info like this today imagine the public outcry. )

Here is an example of the outcry

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/08/co ... latestnews

Assemblywoman Olivia Diaz, a Democrat, said foster children are often traumatized. She asked if having them exposed to weapons would be appropriate.
Chunkychuck

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:26 am

By what I was making in 1975 I would have had to work about 90 hours to net enough for that Colt sporter.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby karlobag on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:48 pm

Back in the 60's, I remember my brothers and I pooling our allowance money to try to buy a Solothurn S18-1000 - 20mm anti-tank gun. I think it was around $180-$190 and 50 rounds of ammo was under $40. Too bad our dad put a big, "Whoa" on our plan.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't remember those days as I didn't exist. ;)
Ghost

Postby MWAG on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Wow, that chicken wing Weaver stance! I'm shocked they don't have the kid with the rifle shooting ToB
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby Citiot on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Darn it, I'm turning into one of those "when I was your age" guys.

I grew up in the 70s and 80s in rural northern MN. Guns, ubiquitous. Many young men had gun racks in their pickup trucks with "real guns." They parked in the high school parking lot, smoked a cigarette on the way into class, and they ended up just fine. Nobody sharted or tinkled or fainted.

Oh, BTW, taking into account inflation, these guns cost about the same as today:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=250&year1=1975&year2=2015

I have kids (of course they are honor students) and we took an certain approach to things like guns. We openly talked and exposed the kids (safely) to firearms.

When things are hidden and demonized, they become irresistible forbidden fruit. That's when problems happen. If I come home with a new gun, my sons say "meh" and go back to their activities.

Citiot
Citiot

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 am

"Familiarity Breeds Respect"

So true and so forgotten. :(
grimbeaver

Postby gbono23 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:31 am

I grew up on the MN/ND border in the 60's. I got my first gun for selling 18 boxes of Christmas Cards, it was a Mossberg bolt action .22LR single shot. Was mailed to my house. We used to walk down the streets of town heading to the country with my .22 slung over my shoulder. No one batted an eye. I think I was in the 8th grade at the time, I can't remember for sure. I still have it, probably will never get rid of that one.
gbono23

Return to General Gun Chat