AR-Mag pouch for competition.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

AR-Mag pouch for competition.

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue May 26, 2015 2:23 pm

I am hoping to at the very least try a rifle match this summer, if not a 3-gun match. I have slowly been acquiring equipment as I go and the next piece I want to look at are belt mounted mag pouches. I have tried to search Google for some reviews, but most focus on "tactical" use. (maybe the application is so similar it does not matter?)I guess I have a 3 part question so I will list them as such. As always any feed back and information is appreciated.

1-For the local matches, Minneapolis area, would it be sufficient to reload from my back pocket until I get a chance to see first hand what I want to invest in?

2-Do I need more than one mag pouch/reload?

3-Which pouches do you prefer? And which mags can they run? I know some are "steel" or p-mag specific.

Right now I am leaning towards Bladetech, but that is mainly do to the fact that my holster and pistol pouches are BT.
Jack's My dog

Re: AR-Mag pouch for competition.

Postby solidgun on Wed May 27, 2015 8:00 am

1. Yes. Not enough reloading to have the mag pouch. While it is convenient to have the pouch, your back pocket will be sufficient for any local matches.
2. I have 2, but rarely used the 2nd one
3. Bladetech is good choice. I use Safariland with TekLok attachments
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed May 27, 2015 3:57 pm

You want a REAL mag pouch that autonomously follows you around??

try this!!

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:You want a REAL mag pouch that autonomously follows you around??

try this!!

So... is that one a Magpul or GI specific marsupial? :lol:
Jack's My dog

Postby smurfman on Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:You want a REAL mag pouch that autonomously follows you around??

try this!!

So... is that one a Magpul or GI specific marsupial? :lol:

I'll wager its tailored for AUG magazines- a good reason to pick up a new gun!!
smurfman

Postby crbutler on Wed May 27, 2015 10:52 pm

ain't that a male 'roo?

If so, no pouch....
crbutler

Postby shooter115 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 am

crbutler wrote:ain't that a male 'roo?

If so, no pouch....

You can play with the "pouch", just might get different results than you were looking for.

All joking aside, here is my suggestion to the OP.
1. A back pocket will work just fine for your first match. Go to a match, talk to shooters.....we're all gear queers, so we all like to talk about our "stuff". Try not to spend a penny if you can help it until you have at least one match under your belt.

2. Very seldom, if ever will you ever need more than one spare AR mag. Generally your spare is an "Oh $h!t" mag in case of a malfunction. With the high capacity mag options out there now, a rifle reload during a course of fire is a pretty rare occurrence. If you think you may actually need 3 mags on your body.......pockets.

3. I'd say the Blade-Tech is the most commonly seen AR mag pouch at matches, but there are others that should work just as well. Mine seems to hold metal and Pmags with the same tension.
shooter115

Return to General Gun Chat