Wow! Silencers are sure expensive

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby LarryP on Sun May 31, 2015 7:15 pm

Been looking online & I can't believe how expensive silencers are. Doesn't look like rocket science to make them. Several cost way more than the gun I want to put it on! lol
Just ranting :D
LarryP

Re: Wow! Silencers are sure expensive

Postby Ghost on Sun May 31, 2015 7:52 pm

One of those situations where you've got to pay to play.
Ghost

Postby bummey on Sun May 31, 2015 7:53 pm

Cheaper than a hearing aid 30 years from now.

Ghost wrote:One of those situations where you've got to pay to play.

Your avatar needs updating.
bummey

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Cheap compared to hearing loss for the rest of your life. They legalized them a few years too late for me. I've already lost a fair amount of hearing. But really they any that expensive. Rimfire cans are super cheap, pistol and smaller center fire can be had pretty cheap too. Like anything there is a broad range of prices and quality. Maybe you are looking at MSRP?? Actual prices will be lower.
Sigfan220

Postby Ghost on Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 pm

bummey wrote:Your avatar needs updating.

Good point, I'll have to come up with a replacement.
Ghost

Postby MJY65 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:16 am

I suspect the price will dampen the enthusiasm for some, but I'm looking forward to having the choice. From what I've been reading, owning 3 will cover most needs for rifle, pistol and rimfire.
MJY65

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:02 am

At least hey are cheaper than high end glass. And thermal scopes require a mortgage.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

Developing a quality suppressor is a lot harder than a lot of people realize. They have to take into consideration size and weight, because modern suppressors see regular use in professional and competition circumstances and they can't upset the balance and maneuverability. Suppressors may see professional use, so they need to be durable and withstand high round counts and very high heat. In order to do this, they have to use high quality stainless steel or titanium, and the materials cost and machining is expensive.

Add to that the requirement for precision and accuracy. Many suppressors cause "suppressor shift", which means that when you attach them, they change the point of impact (POI) of the round. This is a problem for precision rifles for competition and professional use. The higher quality the machining, the tighter the tolerances, the lest POI shift. This precision must be achieved without having baffle strikes and resulting damage.

The precision extends to the attachment point, and many suppressors include a quick detach capability with an included muzzle device (flash hider or brake). This precision must allow solid lock-up on the muzzle device and keep the suppressor solidly locked on so that it won't wobble under movement or fire, and won't loosen during use. One significant baffle strike can destroy a suppressor.

Companies who back their suppressors offer extensive warranties, and many offer a lifetime warranty provided that you don't violate the warranty.

The other major issue is in developing a design that reduces as much sound as possible, but mitigates gas backpressure as much as possible. Suppressors increase backpressure, which causes cycling problems for semi-automatic/automatic weapons (primarily rifles). The ideal suppressors should have maximum sound suppression with all the above qualities.

BATF costs also add to the cost. Suppressors are not cheap to register and maintain. Suppressor companies all have extensive legal systems in place with attorneys to keep them in business and out of prison.

It all adds up, and then you still have to make profit on top of that to keep the business going and have enough capital to continue R&D on current and new suppressors. The market is constantly pushing for suppressors to become more efficient, more accurate, shorter and lighter. It costs money to keep the R&D going to stay competitive.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:43 pm

minor addition - see a lot of current suppressor mfgs making them so they can be used on different calibers like a 30 cal end cap (300 blackout) and a 223 end cap for the same suppressor along with adapters to the 2 different threads usually found on those 2 calibers. Saves from buying 2 and paying the stamp for 2 (extra $148 adapters and caps). Saves me about $1000 for the second rifle that won't be used very often. Now if rimfire wasn't so dirty that it requires a totally different build for a suppressor Could save even more.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:31 pm

LarryFlew wrote:minor addition - see a lot of current suppressor mfgs making them so they can be used on different calibers like a 30 cal end cap (300 blackout) and a 223 end cap for the same suppressor along with adapters to the 2 different threads usually found on those 2 calibers. Saves from buying 2 and paying the stamp for 2 (extra $148 adapters and caps). Saves me about $1000 for the second rifle that won't be used very often. Now if rimfire wasn't so dirty that it requires a totally different build for a suppressor Could save even more.

I read that the end cap doesn't make a huge difference (1-2 db) and puts you at risk of using the wrong one. However since I live here I have no idea if that's the reality or not. Makes sense to me though.
Ghost

Postby PhilaBOR on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 pm

UnaStamus wrote:Developing a quality suppressor is a lot harder than a lot of people realize. They have to take into consideration size and weight, because modern suppressors see regular use in professional and competition circumstances and they can't upset the balance and maneuverability. Suppressors may see professional use, so they need to be durable and withstand high round counts and very high heat. In order to do this, they have to use high quality stainless steel or titanium, and the materials cost and machining is expensive.

Add to that the requirement for precision and accuracy. Many suppressors cause "suppressor shift", which means that when you attach them, they change the point of impact (POI) of the round. This is a problem for precision rifles for competition and professional use. The higher quality the machining, the tighter the tolerances, the lest POI shift. This precision must be achieved without having baffle strikes and resulting damage.

The precision extends to the attachment point, and many suppressors include a quick detach capability with an included muzzle device (flash hider or brake). This precision must allow solid lock-up on the muzzle device and keep the suppressor solidly locked on so that it won't wobble under movement or fire, and won't loosen during use. One significant baffle strike can destroy a suppressor.

Companies who back their suppressors offer extensive warranties, and many offer a lifetime warranty provided that you don't violate the warranty.

The other major issue is in developing a design that reduces as much sound as possible, but mitigates gas backpressure as much as possible. Suppressors increase backpressure, which causes cycling problems for semi-automatic/automatic weapons (primarily rifles). The ideal suppressors should have maximum sound suppression with all the above qualities.

BATF costs also add to the cost. Suppressors are not cheap to register and maintain. Suppressor companies all have extensive legal systems in place with attorneys to keep them in business and out of prison.

It all adds up, and then you still have to make profit on top of that to keep the business going and have enough capital to continue R&D on current and new suppressors. The market is constantly pushing for suppressors to become more efficient, more accurate, shorter and lighter. It costs money to keep the R&D going to stay competitive.

What he said. And materials: stainless and titanium can be difficult, time consuming and expensive to machine. The weight of a suppressor is the farthest part of the gun which means it's harder to hold and aim the gun with a can. The difference in weight between stainless and titanium is significant, but you pay for it.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby BC98 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:28 am

Ghost wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:minor addition - see a lot of current suppressor mfgs making them so they can be used on different calibers like a 30 cal end cap (300 blackout) and a 223 end cap for the same suppressor along with adapters to the 2 different threads usually found on those 2 calibers. Saves from buying 2 and paying the stamp for 2 (extra $148 adapters and caps). Saves me about $1000 for the second rifle that won't be used very often. Now if rimfire wasn't so dirty that it requires a totally different build for a suppressor Could save even more.

I read that the end cap doesn't make a huge difference (1-2 db) and puts you at risk of using the wrong one. However since I live here I have no idea if that's the reality or not. Makes sense to me though.

When you're talking about on the same can, the difference is pretty minimal. When comparing the 7.62 can w/5.56 end cap to a dedicated 5.56 can, the difference was almost 5 dB.

With respect to using the wrong one, just remember not to do it. :D
BC98

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 am

BC98 wrote:
Ghost wrote:

When you're talking about on the same can, the difference is pretty minimal. When comparing the 7.62 can w/5.56 end cap to a dedicated 5.56 can, the difference was almost 5 dB.

It depends on the Suppressor. The SilencerCo Saker 7.62 with 5.56 endcap is ~4dB quieter that the Saker 5.56 is. A total of 34db reduction when measured on a 12.5" barrel, which is excellent. The reason is it's almost an inch longer.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:20 am

Just curious.Would forgetting the 223 end cap was on and popping a 30 cal do any damage beyond ruining the end cap?
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:05 pm

jshuberg wrote:It depends on the Suppressor. The SilencerCo Saker 7.62 with 5.56 endcap is ~4dB quieter that the Saker 5.56 is. A total of 34db reduction when measured on a 12.5" barrel, which is excellent. The reason is it's almost an inch longer.

I think the SilencerCo Osprey 45 used on a 9mm was quieter than some other brands 9mm cans. Gotta start somewhere.

BC98 wrote:When you're talking about on the same can, the difference is pretty minimal. When comparing the 7.62 can w/5.56 end cap to a dedicated 5.56 can, the difference was almost 5 dB.

Well yeah, a whole new silencer is a lot more than the cost of what is seemingly an unnecessary end cap.
Ghost

Next

Return to General Gun Chat