22 ammo shortage ease up yet?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: 22 ammo shortage ease up yet?

Postby photogpat on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Almost every retailer (except SprawlMart) will have some .22 reserved behind the counter. If you go up and ask nicely, they'll sell you a box or two for shooting with your kid, or firearm safety class, etc...

Its been like that for the last year or so. They're reserving it for gun sales, and cases like that.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby BBVEGA on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:15 pm

What shortage?
BBVEGA

Postby LarryP on Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:51 am

After searching, I do see most online retailers stocking 22 ammo now
LarryP

Postby 20mm on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:18 am

BigBlue wrote:
my1stpistol wrote:I'll pay .10 a round to any retailer. Its still cheap in the grand scheme

Still, with .223 at 23 cents a round, it is hard to understand why .22 would cost 10 cents a round. Sure, the process is different, but for the .223 you have to make the primer separately and the case and bullet are WAY more massive.

Does the rest of the world use as much .22 as USA does? Or is this rimfire sort of an American oddity?

BB

It's the cost of making it smaller and the nanoizing of the 22 round. This can only be done using breathtaking technology and the sheer will and determination of highly skilled vista outdoor employee's using billions of dollars worth of machinery that's been invested in since the civil war.

It costs less to train a new astronauts than it does to get new workers making 22 ammo.

It's not the manufactures fault. They're power less and can't do anything. They have semi truck's leaving their docks 24 hours a day, even on holidays! The demand is just too great.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby 20mm on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:34 am

BBVEGA wrote:What shortage?

That one where all of the listings besides foreign and match ammo is sold out:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productl ... 417&s=2886

Oh wait I forgot, you're daddy warbucks! As long as it's cheaper than silver, no shortage at all.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby harryset on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:26 am

I accidentally caught them putting some up on the shelf, at my local Fleet store. I was able to get a box of 500 Remingtons.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby Garret7857 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:49 pm

I've gotten a couple of bricks of Remington Golden Bullet at the Mill's Fleet Farm in Oakdale but I went there around lunch time and got there juuuuust in time to get close to the last if not the last box.
Garret7857

Postby oneunder on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 am

I have found some at Cabelas, Walmart, Bills and Gander. Cabelas and Wally world had real world pricing, Bills and Gander had pricing that matched thier respective resellers. A couple of weeks ago I had none. Now I have over 1k rounds. I feel good about price I paid for all of it, and I never bought the max amount I could from the store. I try and leave some for the next guy.
oneunder

Postby tenmilmag on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:01 pm

Buy that s*** up you see it. Keep out the hands of the hoarders!!!
tenmilmag

Postby photogpat on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:38 pm

tenmilmag wrote:Buy that s*** up you see it. Keep out the hands of the hoarders!!!

Actually don't. Leave it on the shelves. People stop panic buying and the hoarders have no market.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Vlad on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:08 pm

photogpat wrote:
tenmilmag wrote:Buy that s*** up you see it. Keep out the hands of the hoarders!!!

Actually don't. Leave it on the shelves. People stop panic buying and the hoarders have no market.

+1... it is to the point where I can load and shoot 45 cheaper than finding and buying 22. I have not bought any for months even when I have found the flavors that I prefer. And no, I do not have 20K in reserve, all my 22s together do not fill a milk crate. I know this as I just moved. Now 45 or 223 on the other hand, my family hates me for having to handle so many 30 cal ammo cans plum full... 8-)
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Drizzle on Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:40 pm

I've had no trouble finding it outstate. Glenn's in Grand Rapids generally has some, and the hardware store in Sac City WI, near where my brother lives had an endcap full 2 months ago. It's just hard to find in the Metr, I think.
Drizzle

Postby ranger on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Drizzle wrote:I've had no trouble finding it outstate. Glenn's in Grand Rapids generally has some, and the hardware store in Sac City WI, near where my brother lives had an endcap full 2 months ago. It's just hard to find in the Metr, I think.

There’s plenty of .22 ammo available and has been for the past couple of years. A person just has to know how and where to look. Most was available only on line though. But lately, Cabela's and Gander's shelves have been well stocked with .22LR......at least for the past couple of weeks. ;) ;)

BTW, why isn’t this thread in the Ammunition and Reloading Section? There is already a .22LR thread going on over there and already has 25 pages and about 27,000 views.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=52756
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 pm

ranger wrote:
Drizzle wrote:I've had no trouble finding it outstate. Glenn's in Grand Rapids generally has some, and the hardware store in Sac City WI, near where my brother lives had an endcap full 2 months ago. It's just hard to find in the Metr, I think.

There’s plenty of .22 ammo available and has been for the past couple of years. A person just has to know how and where to look. Most was available only on line though. But lately, Cabela's and Gander's shelves have been well stocked with .22LR......at least for the past couple of weeks. ;) ;)

BTW, why isn’t this thread in the Ammunition and Reloading Section? There is already a .22LR thread going on over there and already has 25 pages and about 27,000 views.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=52756

I call b.s.. Meet you at cabelas in Rogers tomorrow. Shelves are not "stocked". Does it show at times sure. But it is just as likely empty. 22 shortage is over when you can walk into a fleet farm and walk out with as much as you want of the brand you want.
Holland&Holland

Postby 2in2out on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:13 am

Drizzle wrote:I've had no trouble finding it outstate. Glenn's in Grand Rapids generally has some

That's because they're charging a price that reflects the market (in other words, It's higher than everybody else, but that's because demand is higher). I still believe that retailers should charge prices based on demand, not on what the price used to be before BHO was elevated to power. If retailers raised their prices, the shortage would cease to exist.

I don't shoot my .22's very often, because I can't guarantee that I'll be able to replace what little ammo I have. I'm not in favor of paying more than I have to, but if I need more ammo, I'd rather pay more than see bare shelves. At $50/brick, that's still a better price per round than any other ammo I shoot (I don't reload).
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat