Range trip photos 6/17 - shooting with a polished turd

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Range trip photos 6/17 - shooting with a polished turd

Postby unfitmother on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm

I went to the range today, had some fun, and took some pictures.

From behind the rifle, looking out to the target at 500 yds (under the tree).

Between rain, re-zeroing for a new type of ammo, and having to cut some grass that was blocking the line of sight to the 500 yd berm, I only had time to shoot the 6 round group below. Dialing 3 mils for 150 gr. 270 Winchester.

The 2nd and 6th shot are the ones outside of the 10" blue circle. I was waiting about 2 minutes between shots. I've got lots of fundamentals to work on, as well some contact between the stock and barrel to fix.

More picture links below. WARNING: If you are a rifle snob, you might have the urge to hate on my set-up. ;)
Remington 700 with 22' sporter barrel and Vortex scope
Here's how I pre-load the bipob and how I made the rear bag out of a burlap pouch laying around.
Neither works that great. I'm waiting for a real shooting mat and rear bag that are on backorder.
Close-up of the shot group.

Let me know if you would be interested in future range trip reports. I'll answer any questions folks have, but it might take me half a day before I get a minute to respond, FYI.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Re: Range trip photos 6/17 - shooting with a polished turd

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:16 am

At least you tried. I would drool for a chance to shoot 500 yards. Longest I have access to is 200 yards at del tone. Just purchased a Savage 10T in 308 and have to get to the range and site in.
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:00 am

I agree, good on ya for getting to shoot 500yards. Practicing and shooting sure beats no shooting. Consider yourself lucky. Thanks for the post.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby JJ on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 am

Haters gonna hate.

Thats not to say I find your stock a work of art, but if it works, meh. Still better than 99% of the BubbaMosin's out there :roll:

Anywho's good job on getting out. What range were you at? From the limited pics, it looks like a fairly decent setup with multiple berms. I personally just got back from shoot p-dogs in SD out to about 650yds, but I find it hard to access anywhere but our hunting land in very far SW MN to shoot longer than 200yds, and I am too busy working to shoot when I go down.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:24 am

Same here...wish I could shoot past 200. Thanks for sharing.
atomic41

Postby Scratch on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:09 am

Nice job finding a 500 yard range. I'm jealous.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby striped1 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 am

Where is that range? I have a couple that I need to stretch that far and more.
striped1

Postby Sammichman on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Looks Like Caribou out in LeSeur..My Range Finder(Nikon) puts that distance at about 450yds to the tree, still some great shooting
Sammichman

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:52 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:At least you tried. I would drool for a chance to shoot 500 yards. Longest I have access to is 200 yards at del tone. Just purchased a Savage 10T in 308 and have to get to the range and site in.

..and even that is shooting through a dang culvert since their little "accident" a few years back.
MJY65

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:02 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:At least you tried. I would drool for a chance to shoot 500 yards. Longest I have access to is 200 yards at del tone. Just purchased a Savage 10T in 308 and have to get to the range and site in.

..and even that is shooting through a dang culvert since their little "accident" a few years back.

Yeah, shooting through that tube sucks. I still think that was a setup to shut that range down.
Bearcatrp

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
MJY65 wrote:

Yeah, shooting through that tube sucks. I still think that was a setup to shut that range down.

Who knows? I suppose anything is possible.

I've only been back there once since, despite the fact that it is only a few miles from my house and on my way home from work. I used to be able to go early on a day off, but their hours are pretty restrictive now.
MJY65

Postby unfitmother on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Sammichman wrote:Looks Like Caribou out in LeSeur..My Range Finder(Nikon) puts that distance at about 450yds to the tree, still some great shooting

Blegh, just got done with a double.
Sammichman, you're right, Caribou Gun Club. I don't own a range finder, but I borrowed one on a trip there last year and got 495 yds. Now I better borrow it again and confirm.

If you haven't been to Caribou, it's $20 for non-members + $5 for every gun after the 1st. Unfortunately, their rifle range is gonna be closed for the month of July because they're hosting the World FITASC Sporting Championship.

JJ, got any pics from your shoot?
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby Sammichman on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:54 am

Iv'e been a member at Caribou for a couple years now and while it's longer drive that H and H the yearly membership is a little over a Hundred first gun Free 5.00 each additional, and while it's not Utopia it's not bad and I like the longer distances,,It's a Bitch there closing the Range for a month, I'm going to go into serious withdrawel with no place to shoot
Sammichman

Postby JJ on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:15 am

unfitmother wrote:JJ, got any pics from your shoot?

I do, but I can get paid for my content, and don't usually post it for free ;)
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Erud on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am

JJ wrote:
unfitmother wrote:JJ, got any pics from your shoot?

I do, but I can get paid for my content, and don't usually post it for free ;)

That good, huh?
Erud

Next

Return to General Gun Chat