Open invitation: Post target pics, range photos, etc

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Open invitation: Post target pics, range photos, etc

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:38 am

crbutler wrote:You don't want to muff the shot on lion... One would not believe how quick they can be.

Was it Capstick's Death in the Silent Places where there was a story about hunting big cats, with a spear?

Said it took some steady nerves... :D
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Erud on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Last Wednesday was the best day I've had in 10 years of competitive shooting. Shot a perfect 450 to win day 2 of the Midwest Palma Championship. I have never shot a 450 before, and have no idea if I'll ever shoot one again. Match was standard Palma format of 15 shots for record at 800, 900, and 1000 yard lines shooting .308 winchester with sling and iron sights. Finished 2nd overall for the 4-day aggregate.
Attachments
IMG_4157.jpg
Erud

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:31 pm

Congratulations Erik!

That is beyond awesome. :bravo:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:17 pm

thank you for sharing your accomplishment. Congratulations.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 pm

thank you for sharing your accomplishment. Congratulations.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 am

You left 23 x's on the table, what's up with that? :mrgreen:

Nice shooting my friend.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:39 am

Thanks guys!
Erud

Postby aprilian on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:12 am

Very impressive!
aprilian

Postby Erud on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:55 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:You left 23 x's on the table, what's up with that? :mrgreen:

By the time I got to the last 3 shots at 1000, I thought I might be having a heart attack! I felt like I was doing a pretty good job handling the pressure up until then, but my pulse was so strong at that point I could barely hold the black. I wouldn't have been surprised to see any one of those 3 come up a 9 or even an 8, but I got lucky and they were all 10's. I will try for more X's next time! ;)
Erud

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 am

So NASA takes a 534 million mile (48 light-minute) shot with five-year time of flight, and Juno hits within one centimeter and one second, of its target.

So... how's your shooting compare today! ;)

"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:29 am

Ironbear wrote:So NASA takes a 534 million mile (48 light-minute) shot with five-year time of flight, and Juno hits within one centimeter and one second, of its target.

So... how's your shooting compare today! ;)

Bang for the buck-wise, it's a close call.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby atomic41 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:32 am

Ok I'm kinda kicking myself for not taking a picture from a great range day yesterday but oh well. I like this thread (especially considering the heavy mood lately), so I would like to tell the story of a great range day from yesterday.

A little background: I've been shooting since I was about 5 so I'm not new to firearms but I've only recently started pursuing precision shooting and I'm having a blast learning. Yesterday I was shooting my AR10 in .308. It's a custom built rifle from a Mega arms upper/lower and it's sporting a 16" barrel. It's a blast and shoots way better than I expected it to. I've been reading, watching coaching videos like Magpul's precision video, sniper 101 by TRex, etc. and reading a lot. A year ago I attended a precision shooting school in SD that was awesome so now I'm putting some of what I've learned into practice here.

I was shooting steel at 400yds and having a little trouble getting dialed in. An older gentleman with a beautiful long range rig and lots of great experience was watching me. He asked if my ammo was hot. I was laying prone in the sun and had all my ammo out there with me. He said I was shooting high and it was probably due to that. I'm always eager to learn and took his advice and put everything in the shade and talked with him for a while. I set up again with cool ammo and I immediately started hitting and then pulling tight groups on the steel. This was only the second time I've shot it at 400 so I was feeling really good. Took my notes to build DOPE and noted what I was learning from this awesome gentleman. Then he talked me into shooting at 600 which I had never done before...

So we both set up and shoot at his target board. He made a giant shoot-n-see style board with 1" sticker dots all over it. I watched him work his rifle and test some new loads he was working on. It was cool to watch someone shoot so well and I'm hoping to learn to be there someday myself. So it was my turn to give it try and I was low on ammo so I didn't have many shots. I estimated how many clicks I would need and dialed them in. In a few short shots I was right in there and ready to try a group.

My first shot was 1/2" at 5:00 off the sticker and I was absolutely in shock about what I just did. I've never shot this far and I'm 1/2" off. I thought no way will I do that again. I sent the next one. I made the same hole bigger. Holy cow, I'm now so excited I'm just freaking out. I got off the rifle and looked at it through the spotting scope. I took a minute break, watched my new friend shoot then I went back to it. I sent the last one and pulled it a few inches out. I don't care!! :D I was so happy to do what I did in those first two rounds having never shot at 600 before I was doing a happy dance all the way home. (I was almost out of ammo and the skeeters were eating me alive)

So now I really want to set up a bolt gun for long range. This rifle is obviously a good shooter but I will probably be limited by it's capabilities soon. (I hope I am!) I'll keep shooting it until I can afford a new toy and will learn as much as I can. Thanks for letting me share my good day at the range!
atomic41

Postby xd ED on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:42 pm

atomic41 wrote: <<<major snippage>>>...
So now I really want to set up a bolt gun for long range. This rifle is obviously a good shooter but I will probably be limited by it's capabilities soon. (I hope I am!) I'll keep shooting it until I can afford a new toy and will learn as much as I can. Thanks for letting me share my good day at the range!

There are apparently little bugs that live at rifle ranges (other than wood ticks and mosquitos). Once bitten you're life is changed forever.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:37 am

atomic41 wrote:Ok I'm kinda kicking myself for not taking a picture from a great range day yesterday but oh well. I like this thread (especially considering the heavy mood lately), so I would like to tell the story of a great range day from yesterday.

A little background: I've been shooting since I was about 5 so I'm not new to firearms but I've only recently started pursuing precision shooting and I'm having a blast learning. Yesterday I was shooting my AR10 in .308. It's a custom built rifle from a Mega arms upper/lower and it's sporting a 16" barrel. It's a blast and shoots way better than I expected it to. I've been reading, watching coaching videos like Magpul's precision video, sniper 101 by TRex, etc. and reading a lot. A year ago I attended a precision shooting school in SD that was awesome so now I'm putting some of what I've learned into practice here.

I was shooting steel at 400yds and having a little trouble getting dialed in. An older gentleman with a beautiful long range rig and lots of great experience was watching me. He asked if my ammo was hot. I was laying prone in the sun and had all my ammo out there with me. He said I was shooting high and it was probably due to that. I'm always eager to learn and took his advice and put everything in the shade and talked with him for a while. I set up again with cool ammo and I immediately started hitting and then pulling tight groups on the steel. This was only the second time I've shot it at 400 so I was feeling really good. Took my notes to build DOPE and noted what I was learning from this awesome gentleman. Then he talked me into shooting at 600 which I had never done before...

So we both set up and shoot at his target board. He made a giant shoot-n-see style board with 1" sticker dots all over it. I watched him work his rifle and test some new loads he was working on. It was cool to watch someone shoot so well and I'm hoping to learn to be there someday myself. So it was my turn to give it try and I was low on ammo so I didn't have many shots. I estimated how many clicks I would need and dialed them in. In a few short shots I was right in there and ready to try a group.

My first shot was 1/2" at 5:00 off the sticker and I was absolutely in shock about what I just did. I've never shot this far and I'm 1/2" off. I thought no way will I do that again. I sent the next one. I made the same hole bigger. Holy cow, I'm now so excited I'm just freaking out. I got off the rifle and looked at it through the spotting scope. I took a minute break, watched my new friend shoot then I went back to it. I sent the last one and pulled it a few inches out. I don't care!! :D I was so happy to do what I did in those first two rounds having never shot at 600 before I was doing a happy dance all the way home. (I was almost out of ammo and the skeeters were eating me alive)

Nice. It's days like that that make it all worthwhile.
Erud

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:31 am

Shot the best 100 yard group of my life yesterday. I'm working up a load for the 69gr match king. Shooting an old Colt flat top HBAR that I recently put a free float handguard on. Five shot group, .183 moa. The next powder charge up went .783. Next to see how much of a fluke it was!

Jackpine Savage

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat