Ever wonder where Mn. ranks

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Ever wonder where Mn. ranks

Postby george on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 am

Well now we know, #39 where #50 is the worst.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/culture-politics-network/best-states-for-gun-owners-2015/
39. Minnesota

minnesotaMinnesota is the quintessential Midwest state in which often visceral resistance to political change makes passing pro-gun legislation more difficult. Nonetheless, two omnibus pro-gun bills passed out of the legislature’s respective chambers and were signed by Gov. Mark Dayton. Among the various provisions of these bills is a measure that allows Minnesota residents to own and hunt with suppressors in compliance with federal law. For now, Minnesota remains a middle-of-the-road state with a “shall issue” CCW system with few prohibited places enumerated by statute. Minnesota’s use-of-force laws are strong, but CCW reciprocity is minimal. NFA laws are a bit of a mixed bag, with Curio and Relic (C&R) machine guns allowed along with SBRs.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topi ... z3gcWkwjSk
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Re: Ever wonder where Mn. ranks

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 am

I don't see how Iowa beats Minnesota
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:28 am

I don't see how Texas beats Minnesota, let alone get ranked at #15. Looking at the totality of their firearms laws, they are substantially more restrictive than Minnesota.

The article bloviates: "At the stroke of Gov. Greg Abbott’s pen, Texans can now stroll around the entire Lone Star State with a gun openly carried if they so choose." Wow! That recent legislation really does make Texas stand out. Wait...what?
Hmac

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:36 am

From what I've read, we have one of the best CCW laws out there. Many states have a lot of BS rules and restrictions that we do not.
MJY65

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 am

This is a pretty subjective list, obviously ;)
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:47 am

I'm glad we are under the radar - can we lobby to be lower? I could give 2 ******* about national recognition.

I do believe we are ahead of the game in the lobby efforts with GOCRA and MNGOPAC - we are to be envied for their efforts.

If the anti's thought we were in the 10 best, they would be foaming at the mouth..............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby photogpat on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am

yukonjasper wrote:I'm glad we are under the radar - can we lobby to be lower? I could give 2 ******* about national recognition.

I do believe we are ahead of the game in the lobby efforts with GOCRA and MNGOPAC - we are to be envied for their efforts.

If the anti's thought we were in the 10 best, they would be foaming at the mouth..............

Ineffective opposition in MN is why we thrive. They got nothing done after Sandy Hook, and presented no serious opposition last year at all.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby igofast on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 am

Looks like everyone is bitching about their ratings - except the New York guy who thinks they should be rated lower. You have to look at what they are using as their criteria which are(among others):

Carry: Shall vs. May, Open vs. Concealed, follow-up: training requirements, cost, reciprocity and the extent of locations where licensees are prohibited from carrying

I think we get dinged for cost, requirements, renewal, and reciprocity

NFA: G&A ranks states on whether they ban any or all NFA items

Dinged for not having 'shall issue' and we restrict some NFA items: Machine Guns and Short Barreled Shotguns

Castle Doctrine

Even though we have case law, we don't have legislative law which gives us a goose egg in this category.

Miscellaneous:

Junk category that they use to arrange states that don't come up right in 'their' order.

Unlike previously, they didn't post up the total points that each state got. That would have allowed us to make our own determination of rank. Either way I don't disagree with what has been stated: we are rated lower than we should be(which may not necessarily be a bad thing), and Texas(and Colorado IMO) is rated higher than it should be.
igofast

Postby Lumpy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:47 pm

How open in practice is carry in the states that don't require permits? Lots of special no-gun areas? Laws that can be applied against carry (assault, threatening, public danger, etc.)?
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Looking through the list again and even Colorado beat Minnesota.

And to beat the Iowa drum again, a state with no NFA that is looking at what Minnesota has accomplished as a goal to shoot for still ranks better.

Worthless rankings
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:48 am

I agree....low profile likely serves us all the best.

Who the hell reads Guns and Ammo anymore anyway?
Hmac

Postby cgrant26 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Whoever generated that list fails to grasp what is important (generally speaking) to gun owners.

Too much weight given to some things and not enough to others.
cgrant26

Postby Hmac on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:26 pm

cgrant26 wrote:Whoever generated that list fails to grasp what is important (generally speaking) to gun owners.

Too much weight given to some things and not enough to others.

Just another gun magazine fail. Who even buys that crap anymore?
Hmac

Return to General Gun Chat