Legal question regarding work weapons policy.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Trogdor on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:46 pm

Heveryone. I recently started a new job. I was filling out all my initial paperwork when I got to their weapons policy. It states employees may not have weapons (guns, knives, etc) on company property period.

Obviously this is in direct contradiction to MN state law which states an employer may not prohibit an employee from keeping a firearm in a vehicle in a place considered to be a parking lot.

Thoughts on who and how to approach this one?
Trogdor

Re: Legal question regarding work weapons policy.

Postby bstrawse on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Two options -

1) You could talk with your HR leader / representative about the contradiction. The plus side - perhaps they'll change their policy. The down side, they now know you care about the issue and may choose to take other actions down the road based upon their perception of what this means/doesn't mean to them.

2) Say nothing, follow the law.

Generally, I have chosen #2 in the past.

Hope this helps.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:04 pm

+1
option #3 would be to make a scene in the Owners office - let him know in as loud a voice as possible how angry that policy makes you and that you quit and would never - ever - ever work for a company that has a policy like that. :D

I think #2 is your best shot, but its up to you on how strongly you want to make your point. :cheers:
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby goett047 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:15 pm

yukonjasper wrote:+1
option #3 would be to make a scene in the Owners office - let him know in as loud a voice as possible how angry that policy makes you and that you quit and would never - ever - ever work for a company that has a policy like that. :D

I think #2 is your best shot, but its up to you on how strongly you want to make your point. :cheers:

#2 if you want to keep your job.
goett047

Postby shooter115 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:19 pm

Yeah I'd go with #2......at least until you get your foot in the door and establish some value.
shooter115

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:02 pm

I disagree. I'd go straight to management and set them straight. If you don't teach them MN law who will?
Ron Burgundy

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Does the company only operate in MN? Or is this their global policy to CYA?
gun_fan111v2

Postby jshuberg on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Write an anonymous letter explaining that company policy is in violation of state law, and must be corrected. Then find a way to slip it to the HR director without identifying yourself.

They'll be educated on the law, and there will be no negative consequences for you personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby ttousi on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 am

jshuberg wrote:Write an anonymous letter explaining that company policy is in violation of state law, and must be corrected. Then find a way to slip it to the HR director without identifying yourself.

They'll be educated on the law, and there will be no negative consequences for you personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

include the proper reference if you do......

from 624.714 subd 17

(c) The owner or operator of a private establishment may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession
of firearms in a parking facility or parking area.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby LePetomane on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 am

How much do you want this job? I do business in three institutions that have signs on the door that prohibit firearms. I comply because I don't want to lose their business. Remember the Golden Rule. "He who has the gold makes the rules."
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 am

Minnesota is an "at will" employment state. They can fire you, or not hire you, for any reason (excluding the reason that you might be a member of a "protected" group under the civil rights act).
Hmac

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Hmac wrote:Minnesota is an "at will" employment state. They can fire you, or not hire you, for any reason (excluding the reason that you might be a member of a "protected" group under the civil rights act).

Yes, but I assume your termination will read that your position was eliminated and not because you had a firearm in your car in the parking lot.

That said nobody should ever know if you have a firearm in your car. It's your employers rules when you walk in the door of the building so you are at their mercy.
Ghost

Postby striped1 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:57 pm

anonymous letter to HR / corporate legal with the citation and then number 2.
striped1

Re: Re: Legal question regarding work weapons policy.

Postby MWAG on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 pm

bstrawse wrote:Two options -

1) You could talk with your HR leader / representative about the contradiction. The plus side - perhaps they'll change their policy. The down side, they now know you care about the issue and may choose to take other actions down the road based upon their perception of what this means/doesn't mean to them.

Hope this helps.

Providing your emplyer is not a federal entity, this is your best answer.

Do what everybody else unlucky enough not being able to carry at work, lock it in a car safe.

Side note: I'm a single, white, employed, heterosexual male that smokes and likes guns, when do I become a protected class?
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Re: Re: Legal question regarding work weapons policy.

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:19 pm

MWAG wrote:
bstrawse wrote:Two options -

Hope this helps.

Providing your emplyer is not a federal entity, this is your best answer.

Do what everybody else unlucky enough not being able to carry at work, lock it in a car safe.

Side note: I'm a single, white, employed, heterosexual male that smokes and likes guns, when do I become a protected class?

Maybe once you realize your inner self and go gay.
Ghost

Next

Return to General Gun Chat