Do and don't of getting a used safe

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:22 am

Everybody, I am looking to purchase a used safe to store more stuff. I like mechanical locks and have read that it takes $200-300 to change the combination. For those of you that purchased a used safe before - did you keep the old combination? Did you change it? What was your reasoning? What were your costs?

As a secondary thing, if anybody knows a good moving company please post their name.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Do and don't of getting a used safe

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:31 am

LarryFlew - check in with the name of the movers you used recently. As to changing the combo some safes have locks you can change yourself or if it is a common/current manufacturer, they can provided you with the instructions to do it yourself. I have had both happen for me.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:04 pm

I used Ruth movers http://ruthmoversinc.com/

My safe came with a tool to use to change the combination. I'm sure there's a youtube video out there somewhere that would show you how to change the lock you are getting. I wouldn't spend that much to do it unless it was my only option.
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

http://www.nickoftimemoving.com/moving/safe-moving/

They have branches all over. The guys from the TC area are in EP area but travel all over. My 42 gun 1000 pounder was moved from bottom of my driveway up 30 degree driveway 50 feet, across brick patio, across lawn, up onto deck, through large room, around corner and down 2 steps at same time, down steps to basement, through narrow hallway into room and set in place. $400 and took about 1.25 hours for 2 guys. Was about 50 bucks extra because of the 90 degree corner and steps at same time.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby westhope on Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:56 pm

I unloaded, moved and installed my 36 inch fireproof safe by myself. Had to go up 3 steps to get from the garage into the house. When in the house, I rolled it on 2 inch PVC sections to where I wanted it (on the same floor).

The guy at the store where I bought the safe helped me load the safe into my PU. He said to unload it, drop the tailgate down fully, not just to the horizontal position. Protect the tailgate with a heavy carpet. Slide the safe so it just balances at the end. Then move it very slowly until it slides to the ground. (Of course, the safe should be lying on its back to hide any potential scratches.) From there, use a appliance cart or the PVC method mentioned above.

I moved several larger safes for friends down and up a flight of stairs into the basement with 3 other guys. (When I was in my 40 's. Wouldn't do it now.)

Safes should be secured in place. I makes them harder to break into.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:43 pm

So you guys are saying that I should not trust everything I read on the Internet :) - got it ;)

Wonder if I can find a manual for the models I am looking at...
gun_fan111v2

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Also, appreciate the mover references! Will give me a better list of options for sure
gun_fan111v2

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:53 pm

I had Manny's Piano Movers do mine last winter. It was $275 to deliver a 800lb safe right to the spot I wanted it. I believe for safes the price is somewhat based on weight. Considering the fun I had just pushing across the carpet a few inches into the corner after running a power cord into it I consider it money well spent.
grimbeaver

Postby wrench on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Another vote for Ruth Piano Movers. Very professional, almost made it look easy. Almost.
I think I would change the combination on a used safe.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby gaberelli on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:35 pm

The guys building the house next door helped me for free. From the garage to the walkout basement. I moved it by myself from inside the patio door to its location on 2' sections of 1" dowel and a crowbar. That is something I highly suggest. I got lucky.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309978.580130.jpg

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Postby ferch on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 am

Mannys just moved a 800 pounder for me this week. The moving company that helped us move most of the stuff in our house got it out of our old house, but when we got to our new house they saw there wasn't a walkout basement and refused to even try moving it down the steps. My wife called Mannys and the dudes were here the next day, moved that sucker down the steps, put it exactly where I told them to and the deal was done for about $250.

I ended up moving it to the other side of the room the next day when I realized I didn't like it so close to the sump pump. Put some golf balls under it and rolled it over there like a champ.
ferch

Re: Re: Do and don't of getting a used safe

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 am

gaberelli wrote:The guys building the house next door helped me for free. From the garage to the walkout basement. I moved it by myself from inside the patio door to its location on 2' sections of 1" dowel and a crowbar. That is something I highly suggest. I got lucky.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438309978.580130.jpg

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.

You should definitely get them a case of beer :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby Inspiribomb on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:49 pm

I used Manny's for a big (~1100 pounds) AMSEC. I think it was $400 moved from a garage to my place across the cities, right to the location I wanted it.
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby curteric on Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:02 pm

Safe company's have a record of the combinations. When you register your safe with them they create a file with the serial number and your name. If you forget the combination they will supply it to you with proper ID. If you buy a used safe the original owner should contact the manufacturer with the information and if you want change the combination go ahead and inform the manufacture of the new combination. It could save a lot of time and money in the future.
curteric

Postby armedwalleye on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Another vote for Mannys. Garage to the second floor for $250.
Manny has two of the largest light blocking dudes I have seen. Made it look easy.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Next

Return to General Gun Chat