Getting to be discusted

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Getting to be discusted

Postby patrick on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:08 pm

with the shooting community.People buying up all the ammo they can to resell it for a profit.Same with magazines for popular new firearms offerings.People pooping on fellow shooters.I thought we were all supposed to stick together...
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 pm

There are days when I share your sentiment but then I ask myself - if it is widely accepted that one can sell a gun at a profit and be a nice person why do we think of ammo differently... There are people out there trading guns all day long and making money on it without being perceived as a zit on society's ass.
gun_fan111v2

Re: Getting to be discusted

Postby patrick on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Dealers okay,as long as they aren't raping people.I've ordered nearly every firearm I've ever bought on line because I get a much better deal even with shipping and transfer.I'm talking about Joe Blow from Orono going down to Walmart buying all the .22 ,then selling it on Armslist for twice what he paid for it.
patrick

Postby LarryP on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 pm

"Disgusted" :)
LarryP

Postby Not2Day on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 pm

I buy and sell stuff all the time but mostly auction stuff so im always looking to make a quick dollar. Ill have to look at this ammo thing but its hard to believe theres not enough 22 go around. I would think youd have to peddle a ton of it to make any money with the time involved. There again im new so much to learn...
Press 1 for English. Press 2 to Learn English. Press any other number to be disconnected.
Not2Day

Postby linksep on Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:19 am

Where have you been the last 8 years? We're several months into wide-spread ammo availability and even longer into mag availability... Now you're disgusted? I reintroduced my SO to shooting fall of 2012... She was able to buy a .22lr firearm no problem. One box of 225 golden bullets was all she had to practice with for a couple months (and maybe 2k rounds total in the last 3 years). Now you're disgusted?

In 2015 the thing holding us back from range time as been time itself, not ammo. She really likes shooting .22 and is OK with full-size steel guns in 9mm (there is more 9mm on the shelf than I can afford), but if she wants to shoot we can spare a few hundred rounds of .22 and a box or three of 9mm (plus the other calibers I shoot which are even more available than 9mm or .22lr).
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby 2in2out on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:43 am

I still say, let them sell it for whatever the market will bear. They can't sustain high prices if the competition is selling lower.

Let the price rise to whatever the market will sustain and the shelves will fill up. This, in turn, will shut down the gougers because retailers will be selling lower, even after raising prices. As soon as there's little profit to be made, the gougers will go find something else to sell. Meanwhile, supply will continue to catch up and new gun owners can finally become new shooters.

For example, the gougers are selling a brick of .22LR for what... $75? If the retail price went to $50, is that too high? Before 2008, I would've considered that a ridiculous price. But, since .22LR disappeared, that no longer seems unreasonable if the only suppliers are selling it for more. Over time, as supply increases, the price will go down.

Maybe the price will never go back down to sub-$20/brick, but the supply is there when we want it, and it's still cheaper than any other ammo.

To review: If prices go up, in-store supply goes up. Without a shortage, the gougers are out of business because demand equals supply.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby patrick on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:40 am

Yes.Disgusted.Sorry,I was tired last night.I'm just saying that I hate gougers.Hell.Could be they aren't even shooters,but when shooters do it to fellow shooters...well god damn them all to hell for all of eternity.
patrick

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:22 am

patrick wrote:with the shooting community.People buying up all the ammo they can to resell it for a profit.Same with magazines for popular new firearms offerings.People pooping on fellow shooters.I thought we were all supposed to stick together...

Free market economy is a bitch sometimes, eh?
yuppiejr

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Here's the flip side- if people are dumb enough to pay "panic" prices, is it the seller's fault for selling it? Supply and Demand.

It bothers me that people stockpile ammunition, but the majority are not doing it to sell. People do it because something happens to induce panic and the people buy into it and perpetuate the panic by buying mass quantities immediately. The problem is that those buying the ammunition are idiots because ammo would be the last thing banned. The people that are causing the problems with the ammo are the hoarders.

With that being said, I have no sympathy for people willing to spend $1800 on a piece of junk DPMS or $2100 on a craptastic
Shrubmaster. If they're dumb enough to not know better, too bad. They should have had the wherewithall to buy the gun in off-peak/off-panic times. All of a sudden they decide they need an AR15 when they didn't before? Sheep. ZFG.

Some of our worst enemies as gun owners are other gun owners. People who are stupid and own guns are the worst among them. Yeah it's a right to own a gun and you're exercising that right, but the fact that you own a gun doesn't mean you are magically smart. I have met plenty of people that I honestly believe should not own guns, and some of them do. Spend about 5 minutes on YouTube if you have any questions *cough*texgrebnerjamesyeager*cough*
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Tronster on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:11 pm

I stockpile ammo for two reasons, but not because of some fear of an ammo ban.

I stockpile to allow me to keep shooting through the ammo droughts (got caught empty handed in '09), and as a hedge against ever rising ammo prices. I typically only buy during a sale, I don't clean out the shelves, I don't resell for massive profit, and I haven't bought .22 in a couple years now. I don't see how planning ahead and buying ammo when it's readily available at normal prices makes me a bad guy.
Tronster

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 am

Don't apologize. Just sour grapes.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby MJY65 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:11 am

Tronster wrote: I don't see how planning ahead and buying ammo when it's readily available at normal prices makes me a bad guy.

It doesn't. I doubt that many would object to what you are doing. Far different than the guy that proudly posted the You Tube videos of his exploits cleaning out shelves at Dick's and then flipping them or the usual flock of vultures standing outside the door of shops on a daily basis waiting for the doors to open and then RUNNING to the ammo department.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 am

Ok discuss

Ghost

Postby ex-LT on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:50 am

Four words:

Preparedness has been achieved.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun