Gun Control Groups Prepare for 'National Day of Protest'

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby hammAR on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:00 am

By Susan Jones

(CNSNews.com) - Gun control activists have declared Tuesday, Aug. 28, a "national day of protest to focus attention on the scourge of illegal gun trafficking."

The Brady Campaign, along with its Million Mom March chapters, said it will join the Rev. Jesse Jackson's Operation PUSH Coalition at demonstrations in cities across America.

Jackson's group chose Aug. 28 because it marks the 44th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s historic march on Washington.

As Cybercast News Service reported earlier, Jackson has attended a series of recent protests at a suburban Chicago gun store, which he blames for gun crimes in Chicago.

Anti-gun activists have confirmed more than twenty events so far, including a rally at a park in Newark, N.J., near the schoolyard where four college students were lined up and shot in the back of the head. Three of them died. Six people, two of them in this country illegally, have been arrested in connection with the case.

Activists also plan to protest at a Maryland gun store "that is responsible for the most crime guns found in Washington, D.C."

Other Aug. 28 protests and vigils are planned in the cities of Phoenix, Birmingham, Minneapolis-St. Paul, San Diego, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, and Raleigh-Durham, to name some of them.

"The August 28 rallies will focus the public and push leaders at all levels of government to take action against the illegal gun market and to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous individuals," the Brady Campaign said on its Web site.

In addition, gun control advocates said they are launching a statewide letter-writing in California to build support for a crime-fighting "microstamping" bill being considered once again by the State Legislature. (See Earlier Story)

"We can't achieve Dr. King's 'dream' of what America can be when we lose 32 people every day to gun murders," said Brady Campaign President Paul Helmke. "Dr. King's focus on civil rights and non-violence should lead us now to ask each other and our leaders, 'What are you going to do about gun violence?'"

The Brady Campaign argues that if tougher laws make it harder for criminals to get guns, there will be fewer "gun violence victims."

But Second Amendment groups say criminals who want guns will always get them. They insist that tougher laws will affect only law-abiding Americans who have the right to defend themselves.
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: Gun Control Groups Prepare for 'National Day of Protest'

Postby DeanC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:37 am

Heck, if MLKJR had a gun, (and was more situationally aware) he might still be alive. :roll:
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby nyffman on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:32 am

This is from the Brady Bunch. Now please excuse me, I have to take a shower. :roll: :evil:
"Bury Our Guns, Not Our People"
Local Response to the National Call for Action
Everyone is Invited to Attend This Event
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
8:30 am -10:00 a.m.
Breakfast & Speakers
10:00 a.m.

Drum/Prayer Ceremony (Peace Makers Center… ATU)
Mayor Rybak, Police Chief Dolan (Minneapolis), Chief Knight (Chaska Police)
& Clarence Hightower (Minneapolis Urban League)
Ferome Brown

Press Conference & 32 Man “Lie-In”

Songstress: Bernice Gregory (Holding Forth The Word)
Call to Action: Empowering Citizens- “Take Back Your Community Take Back Your Community”
Victims families are especially urged to attend.
Please bring photos and memorabilia of your loved ones.
Sponsored by: Twin Cities Metro Anti-Violence Coalition
and Mending the Nest
Held at:
Shiloh Temple International Ministries
1201 West Broadway Avenue North
(Corner of Broadway & Girard Ave North)
Minneapolis, MN 55411
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby joelr on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 am

DeanC wrote:Heck, if MLKJR had a gun, (and was more situationally aware) he might still be alive. :roll:
That, I doubt strongly. Wasn't it something like a 100-meter shot from cover? I'm sure that a gun wouldn't have made a difference, and as to situational awareness, I think it takes more than that to spot a sniper in cover that far away, like esp.

Schwerner, Goodman, and Chaney, sure; I don't think any of the civil rights workers who carried guns were murdered -- I know that Joe Olson and Don Kates did, and weren't.

Joe said protocol was this: on a lonely road, a truck pulls up right to your back bumper, high beams on. You know what that means. You take your handgun, put it in your left hand, and lean it out the window, pointed up, wave it slowly back and forth. The vehicle behind you suddenly slows, falls back, and turns around.
joelr

Postby DeanC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:52 am

I never really looked into the circumstances. I thought it was from a few doors down at a motel. I'm too lazy to look it up right now. Somebody else will and hopefully somewhere other that weakapedia.

He really just needed Martin Riggs on his executive protection team.

Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby joelr on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:55 am

I don't know if Dr. King ever got his gun permit, but he owned at least one gun and applied for one, or at least looked into it.
joelr

Postby ttousi on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:12 am

Victims families are especially urged to attend.
Please bring photos and memorabilia of your loved ones.

I think we should go and take some pics of "loved ones" lost. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Attachments
2 destroyed.jpg
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby hammAR on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:17 am

ttousi wrote:I think we should go and take some pics of "loved ones" lost. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You get that bottom one put on a poster and I damn well will carry it................along with my 1911........ :twisted:

hammAR

Postby DeanC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:21 am

joelr wrote:I don't know if Dr. King ever got his gun permit, but he owned at least one gun and applied for one, or at least looked into it.

A copy of his permit application would make a great counter protest placard.
DeanC

Postby joelr on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:24 am

DeanC wrote:
joelr wrote:I don't know if Dr. King ever got his gun permit, but he owned at least one gun and applied for one, or at least looked into it.

A copy of his permit application would make a great counter protest placard.

Wow. I don't have the slightest idea how to get it, if it is gettable, but, well, yeah.
joelr

Postby DeanC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:28 am

joelr wrote:Wow. I don't have the slightest idea how to get it, if it is gettable, but, well, yeah.

Me either. I'll put it on my Christmas list. Maybe The Smoking Gun knows how to get it. If it exists.

Would be nifty to also know what model gun he owned. A placard that had a picture of it and something claiming it is "The model MLKJR owned" could also be powerful.

Still also trying to figure out what model G.K. Chesterton carried.
DeanC

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Well, I'm going to prepare for this fine holiday by dropping my pants, and bending WAAAAAAYYYYYY over, and encouraging the Brady bunch to pucker up!!!!

BTW: I'm not much better looking than Pat Cannon's avatar WITH my clothes ON, much less OFF!! Where's the barf smiley on this board??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I got the email from CSM about it and am so tempted to OC to that event.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby hammAR on Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:I got the email from CSM about it and am so tempted to OC to that event.

Get Tom to make the signs, and I will go with you................... :D

hammAR

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:13 am

Book'em, Danno!!!!

But good luck to you guys if you decide to do this!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Next

Return to General Gun Chat