Who would get my money?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Who would get my money?

Postby MWAG on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 am

So, let's just say that a company I work for is having an employee donations campaign. In this theoretical campaign, I would donate money to a 501c3. And at random, my employer draws a bunch of our donations and matches them. This year, I find it important to donate to a worthy Pro-2a cause and am looking for suggestions. I'm already a member of GOCRA (they get my monthy donations since I've cancelled my Netflix subscription)

Prefer local over national
Best bang for the buck
MUST be 501c3 with address and EIN
Prefer the organization leans towards supporting handgun rights, but should support all 2a in general

Suggestions?
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Re: Who would get my money?

Postby ex-LT on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:40 pm

I think you'll probably have a difficult time finding a 501(c)3 that fits your criteria.

I know GOCRA and the NRA are 501(c)4, and I'm pretty sure GOPAC, GOA, and SAF are as well.

From the IRS website:
To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby MWAG on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:41 pm

So far the only ones I've come up with isThe CMP and possibly th USSF

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:14 pm

GOCRA is a 501c4.

MNGOPAC is a political action committee, which is a unique part of tax law. Unfortunately, donations to the PAC aren't tax deductible.

Second Amendment Foundation I believe is either a 501c3 or 501c6 and would be a worthy place to donate.

Bryan
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Ghost on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:18 pm

bstrawse wrote:Second Amendment Foundation I believe is either a 501c3 or 501c6 and would be a worthy place to donate.

Very worthy

https://www.saf.org/?page_id=15
What is the Second Amendment Foundation?

The Second Amendment Foundation, founded in 1974, is a tax-exempt Washington-state non-profit corporation organized under §501(c)(3) of the IRS code. It has been a pioneer in innovative defense of the right to keep and bear arms, through its publications, public education programs and legal action.
Ghost

Postby karlobag on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:51 pm

+ 1 on the Second Amendment Foundation
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby Randygmn on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 pm

The 2A foundation is an excellent place. The lead attorney (forgot his name, sorry) is a one man force to be reckoned with. I recently read that he's singlehandedly responsible for a huge percentage of ALL pro 2A legislation in this country.
Randygmn

Postby xd ED on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Randygmn wrote:The 2A foundation is an excellent place. The lead attorney (forgot his name, sorry) is a one man force to be reckoned with. I recently read that he's singlehandedly responsible for a huge percentage of ALL pro 2A legislation in this country.

I don't have the name either, but he is the proverbial pitiful pit bull in wingtips. :evil: effin spell check

+1 for the 2AF
Last edited by xd ED on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby hammAR on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 pm

xd ED wrote:I don't have the name either, but he is the proverbial pitiful in wingtips.

+1 for the 2AF

I think that he is more of a pitbull................. :busy:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ghost on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Ghost

Postby goalie on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:50 pm

http://www.mnwarriors.com

I play goalie for them sometimes, and can attest to the amount of pure, unadulterated good that donations do. Everyone is a combat wounded, injured, or service related disabled vet.

We have NO paid staff. Almost 100% of the money that comes in goes directly to playing hockey or equipment.

Plus, I am in the picture currently on the front page of the website.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby MWAG on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks all, SAF it is!

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby Randygmn on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

For those that are interested, Alan Gottlieb is the founder of the 2A Foundation. Here's an interview that gives a little more insight into what he does. Even if you're not aware, we owe this man our gratitude. He was heavily involved with MCDonald and Heller, too.
http://youtu.be/DTxex5lHSzg
Randygmn

Return to General Gun Chat