AR triggers

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

AR triggers

Postby samginko on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:32 am

I am updating couple of my rifles this winter with better scopes. But, I have been reading about aftermarket triggers. I currently have an alg trigger with JP enhanced reliability springs which gives me a crisp 4.5lb trigger pull and a stock(cmmg) trigger with JP yellow springs which gives me 2.5-3lb not so crisp trigger pull.

As I do more shooting from the bench using rests, I have become more aware of the triggers on the rifles. So, what's worth spending money on? I have a 308 and a 223, for target shooting.
samginko

Re: AR triggers

Postby BC98 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:51 am

I like 2-stage triggers, myself. I'm currently running Geissele triggers on 3 of my guns (2 of the SD-C's and an SD-E on a more precision-oriented rifle) and a KAC 2-stage in another. If you're going that route and sticking pprimarily with bench shooting, I would take a look at either the SSA-E or SD-E.

Admittedly, I don't have a ton of experience with aftermarket single-stages. I have a co-worker who really likes CMC triggers though I haven't gotten a chance to shoot his rifles.
BC98

Postby atomic41 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:42 am

BC98 wrote:I like 2-stage triggers, myself. I'm currently running Geissele triggers on 3 of my guns (2 of the SD-C's and an SD-E on a more precision-oriented rifle) and a KAC 2-stage in another. If you're going that route and sticking pprimarily with bench shooting, I would take a look at either the SSA-E or SD-E.

X2 almost word for word. I'll add: the SD-C and SD-E are flat blade triggers which I prefer. It helps to get the correct trigger pull if you have XL hands. I highly recommend the SD-E for an AR precision trigger. The National Match trigger is adjustable but I prefer the flat blade of the SD-E. You are welcome to try mine if you want to meet at a range.
atomic41

Postby shooter115 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:04 pm

IMO the best trigger for bench and varmint work is the Jard adjustable. http://www.jardinc.com/ar-15-single-stage-top-adjust/

Their lightest trigger is listed at 1.5 lbs, I've got mine slightly below that at 1lb 4oz. Trick is you really have to know what you are doing when setting them up. If you don't have a really solid understanding of how the trigger group functions there are probably better options.
shooter115

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Had a Timney single stage on my DPMS 308. Great rigger. 4lb trigger. Worked good but wish it was 3lbs. Sold it with the rifle.
Bearcatrp

Postby Geezer43 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:50 pm

I like the Rock River NM 2-stage trigger, or the 2-stage Varmint trigger.
They are relatively inexpensive and work well. They are not adjustable, but IMHO they are a great value.
Crisp second stage at about 3.5 to 4 lbs total pull (first & second stages combined) for the Varmint trigger, and about 4.5 lbs for the NM trigger.
There might be nicer triggers out there for a lot more $$$, but the difference in performance might be somewhat marginal in many cases.
Unless you are rather demanding, the difference might not be worth the extra money.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:50 pm

I have a Jewell 2 stage that is set at 18oz. Love it.
mmcnx2

AR triggers

Postby LumberZach on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:07 pm

I have a rock river trigger as well, and I like it quite a bit. I used a geissele once and it was the greatest thing ever, but we were only shooting off the bench. I don't shoot AR's enough to know a ton, but I feel like I prefer a single stage for 3 gun/quicker shooting than the 2 stage. But rock river seems to be a great value is you are worried about "diminishing returns" I.e.- spending more money but not getting as much for your money.
If building a no budget rifle, I would do geissele all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby speedy396 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:16 pm

The RRA 2-stage NM trigger is on sale, too. Can't really go wrong at this price! I picked up a couple to upgrade.

https://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fus ... ory_id=294

Too bad there isn't a drop-in Jewel BR trigger for an AR.
speedy396

Postby cs tunes on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:21 am

If you already have the modified triggers you list I can't see a RR NM being much of an upgrade. As mentioned above it's very difficult to discount Geissele other than the price but IMO they are worth their asking price. I'm currently running the High Speed NM in my F T/R rifle and could not imagine a better trigger for that type of use. Butter smooth, light and crisp. My plinker AR has the Geissele G2S that I picked up last winter on sale for $120 to my door. As it breaks in it's getting smoother, light enough at 4.5lbs and as crisp as I could ask for. It wont be confused with the NM but a solid plinking/hunting trigger to be sure.
cs tunes

Postby Ghost on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:18 am

You just missed the sale on the LaRue LaRue MBT-2S Was $125, hat included.

I've got a couple Geissele triggers, HSNM and a HSNM DMR. I've got a handful of the LaRue's, I'm very happy with the LaRues as I am with the Geissele's. You can enter to win one (FREE IS BEST) still at the link above scroll to the bottom, I already got lucky and won an 18" stealth barrel in this drawing.
Last edited by Ghost on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I decided on Jard adjustable for my 223. I will wait and see if it will be on sale for black Friday. For my 308 I was able to find a used ar gold 308 trigger (larue black-gold trigger). I hope these triggers will Workout.
samginko

Postby atomic41 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:33 am

FYI, Geisselle is having a black Fri. sale.
atomic41

Postby MnHornet on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Ordered the Rock river 2 stage NM for $62 and some change, Duh.
I've got an ALG, CMMG and a JP, looking forward to a comparison.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby samginko on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:04 am

I am good for triggers, but geissele just sent me a coupon code for 10% off on top of black Friday pricing. Pm me for the code. I don't want to screw geissele for being nice. Pm me if you are going to use it.
samginko

Next

Return to General Gun Chat