Buying two guns for adult kids

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Kelor on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:38 pm

I have two adult kids that want guns. I have them both signed up for permit to carry.

Recognizing that this is a starter gun for both, where would you start?

1: 23 year old petite female - starving kid just out of school.

2: 25 year old strong male - making good money

I have a Beretta 92FS that I never shoot, so I am thinking I will give that to our son. My thought is if he can decide whether he likes it or not, and buy something else when he wishes.

The daughter - I have no idea where to start. She is probably 110 pounds wet. Maybe less. She exercises a lot, so isn't weak, but I anything with a big kick will turn her off. I have had her shoot my Kimber Solo before and she liked the size but hated the kick. She likes shooting the Glock 17, but it's too big. Of course she likes shooting the .22s. Before purchase, I will certainly have her try some out. I'm just looking for 2 or 3 suggestions on what to try.

Thoughts?
Kelor

Re: Buying two guns for adult kids

Postby crbutler on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Sounds like you are talking a carry piece.

For the daughter either a Glock 19 or a small frame smith and Wesson .38

The little 9's kick bad, the .380's kick more sharply than the 9's, and if she likes a full size Glock, the smaller frame size will make it more concealable.

A small revolver is concealable and if she sticks with standard ammo, will not kick too badly.

For the son, the 92 is not very concealable, abut it gives him something until he decides what he wants.

Sounds like you did good.
crbutler

Postby bpacman on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Have her try a Glock 43/42. Sounds like her hands are fit for single stack. The lower profile barrel will help with the "flip up" kick part.

If it is more than just the flip up kick, try the Sig 239. Heavier gun that controls the kick better for the small frame.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby ttousi on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Glock 42.........good size moderate recoil....380

try before you buy........rent or borrow
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby igofast on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Honestly, I would probably go range passes and gift certificates. Let them go to the range and shoot the various guns they're interested in and decide themselves.

It sounds like you son may be at a point in his life where he may want a top end 1911 or something - getting a 92 when you want a Les Baer could be disappointing.

If your daughter is happiest with a .22 so be it. Better to be able to hit the target and have it, than miss or be in a drawer. Or maybe she would be happier with a rifle or shotgun than a pistol.

It may be different for others, but for me my purchases are very specific and based on a need(or want). If my father were to purchase something for me without asking, I would be very appreciative, but there's a 99% chance that it would be relegated to the back of the safe.
igofast

Postby mr.paul on Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:20 pm

I agree with helping her figure out what she wants. Range time and a number of rentals. Everyone is a little different.
mr.paul

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm

crbutler wrote:Sounds like you are talking a carry piece.

For the daughter either a Glock 19 or a small frame smith and Wesson .38

The little 9's kick bad, the .380's kick more sharply than the 9's, and if she likes a full size Glock, the smaller frame size will make it more concealable.

A small revolver is concealable and if she sticks with standard ammo, will not kick too badly.

For the son, the 92 is not very concealable, abut it gives him something until he decides what he wants.

Sounds like you did good.

2nd for the Glock 19, I would say for both. It is like Tupperware, not fancy but anyone can use it. Very shootable by anyone, concealable if needed. Most will shoot it well. Price point is decent. Manual of arms is about as easy as you can get in a semi. It is my go to recommendation for anyone new to guns who is looking to try a semi.

Maybe why I own 2 :)
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:55 pm

Without knowing your kids I'll say 92 is a great first gun for your son, and a Ruger SR-22 for your daughter.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby BuckKlier on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 pm

For her, look at a Bersa Thunder 380
BuckKlier

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:07 pm

She might enjoy a Kahr K9 - small but has some weight to help control the recoil. Or a CCO size 1911 in either 9 or 45, like Springfield Range Officer Compact. Worst case, XD Mod2 :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby PhilaBOR on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:32 pm

M&P Shield is a pretty nice shooter for a smallish 9.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby Ivan45 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:43 am

For your daughter, the Sig P238, and let her pick from the dozen or so different models / colors. Any of the others mentioned are good candidates, but most importantly let her handle them, or better yet rent them. Give your son the 92 and let him go from there.
Ivan45

Postby old guy on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:48 am

Another vote for the Ruger SR22 here.

John
old guy

Postby LePetomane on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:15 am

The problem I have with most guns small enough to conceal is that they are not fun to take to the range with the exception of my Glock 26.

Have you considered a full size .357 magnum and shooting .38 special out of it? That is a nice combination for someone who is recoil sensitive but wants to shoot something bigger than a .22 caliber. Another option if you want to stick to a semiautomatic is the Heckler & Koch VP9.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Spartan on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:59 am

gun_fan111v2 wrote:She might enjoy a Kahr K9 - small but has some weight to help control the recoil. Or a CCO size 1911 in either 9 or 45, like Springfield Range Officer Compact. Worst case, XD Mod2 :)

Sorry nobody would ever enjoy the Kahr ... sorry had several ... worst triggers ever
Spartan

Next

Return to General Gun Chat