New greenhouse

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: New greenhouse

Postby plink on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:44 pm

This week on 'Lifestyles of the Brilliant and Ingenious' we visit the luxurious Jackpine shooting range.
plink

Postby BRL on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:50 am

That's awesome. $60? Did you already have materials laying around or have an inside track on some of them?

My Shelter Logic "shed" I keep the horse hay in is not likely to make it through the winter. Care to share a materials list? I've got a couple questions for starters as well

Can't see on the pics on my phone but how did you secure the plastic? Looks like a good job for Gorilla Tape.

Size and length of PVC and I presume you used a joint? In the center?

Looks like you have a "beam" running down the top as well?

Where did you hide the cannabis when you took your pictures?
Big River Leather
Custom Gun Leather and Accessories
Prescott, WI

http://www.bigriverleather.com
BRL

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:31 pm

I did have most of the materials laying around. The only thing I bought recently was the PVC. The plastic was 'left over' from the wife's greenhouse. All the wood, door, and windows were salvaged and left over from 30 years of do-it-yourself projects. It's nice to have a big barn to store stuff :)

The PVC is the grey PVC conduit 3/4" x 10' that has a coupling built into it. A plus of the PVC conduit over regular PVC is that it is UV stabilized. We used to use it for high tensile fence posts and I'm still using posts that are 20 years old. I used two sticks for each hoop so they are 20'. I think the base was 10' wide. You have to be careful not to go to wide or the arch will be too flat and the snow won't shed off the sides and will take it down. Or at least that's what I've read.

The ridge beam is a piece of 1 1/2" PVC. I duct taped it to each of the hoops. It ties it together and also helps it shed snow. Halfway down the side I also taped a 1x2 furring strip to the inside to add some strength.

I wrapped the bottom, outside the hoops, with 2x6. I clamped the plastic to the top of the 2x6 with 1x2 furring strips. I drilled out holes in the furring strips for the screws so the screws would pull the strip tight to the 2x6.

I got the idea from this site and ad-libbed from there: http://doorgarden.com/2008/10/27/50-dollar-hoop-house-green-house/

And I still haven't spent much time in it! Though New Years day a friend came over to let me try out his new suppressors which was great fun.
Jackpine Savage

Postby BRL on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks Jackpine. Nice job.
Big River Leather
Custom Gun Leather and Accessories
Prescott, WI

http://www.bigriverleather.com
BRL

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat