Bills gun range in Circle Pines

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Bills gun range in Circle Pines

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:30 am

Has anyone shot there? If so, how was the 50 yard range? Looking for a range longer than the standard 25 yard range thats worth the drive from st cloud area. Thanks
Bearcatrp

Re: Bills gun range in Circle Pines

Postby aht_six on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:57 am

I shoot there quite often, it's a nice place. I think all the lanes are 50 yards. We moved our company leagues there when Bill's first took over, they've always treated us well.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby shovelheadmike on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:47 am

I'm a member there....I used to shoot 2-3 times a week,but haven't since last February,[long story]but I'll be starting up again soon.Mostly shoot during the day,weekends can be.....busy and a lot of new shooters.If you go during the day,call first to find out if the range has any leagues or training that day.
Let me know when and I can meet up with you,I think I still have a couple of free passes.

Greenbikemike
shovelheadmike

Postby 28_days on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:47 pm

My biggest complaint, and one that I've had for years, is that they have lousy seated shooting benches. They only have four of them and they wobble like no tomorrow; in fact they resemble fold-out picnic tables more than shooting benches.

Honestly I wouldn't spend the time to drive from St. Cloud for the extra 25y, but that's your prerogative.
Last edited by 28_days on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Postby Ivan45 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Bill's North now has six benches that are rock solid, metal frame with wood top, and can be adjusted to not wobble via a bolt on one leg. Pretty good arrangements if you ask me.
Ivan45

Re:

Postby 28_days on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:58 am

Ivan45 wrote:Bill's North now has six benches that are rock solid, metal frame with wood top, and can be adjusted to not wobble via a bolt on one leg. Pretty good arrangements if you ask me.

Is BIll's North the Circle Pines location? Because they had 4 today, and I'm not sure they're what I'd call rock solid. Mine shook and could not be adjusted. Moreover I'm of very medium build and found it very difficult to get into position. They are adequate at best. Definitely not what you would expect from a 5-star range (according to the NSSF)--especially not in comparison to any newer facilities.
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Postby Ivan45 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:03 am

Yes, that's CP. There are six benches, but sometimes people move them around. I should say there is one folding bench that isn't the most stable but the others are good and are adjustable.
Ivan45

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:28 am

The way our goofy weather is going, may be 70 degrees and sunny next month so I can go to del tone. Always considered opening a indoor range but longer range targets. Looked into it in late 90's. You have to be almost a millionaire just to start up as the costs are just nuts. Always thought a indoor 100 yard range would be perfect.
Bearcatrp

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:52 am

I've not been to Bill's north in about 2 years given the new ranges in the west metro are much more modern, cleaner and have better customer service. So maybe things have changed but Bill's back in the day had some questionable clientele being marginal safe. Going with that their range officers could be a little overbearing. Last time I was there they bitched about me picking up my own brass(which is marked and a somewhat uncommon caliber). I'm a pistol only shooter so I don't need the range length so Osseo and Target Sports get 100% of my business these days.
mmcnx2

Postby Ivan45 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Nothing wrong with picking up your own brass, but some guys think they can sweep the whole place clean... Some questionable people just can't seem to follow the rules which is why we have to be on top of things happening on the range. Not trying to be overbearing, just safe.
Ivan45

Re:

Postby mmcnx2 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Ivan45 wrote:Nothing wrong with picking up your own brass, but some guys think they can sweep the whole place clean... Some questionable people just can't seem to follow the rules which is why we have to be on top of things happening on the range. Not trying to be overbearing, just safe.

Then some customer service skills training was definitely required. This guy came in after watching through the glass as I picked up brass and confirming it was my marked stuff - if it was it went in my brass bag, if not it went back on the floor. Instead of politely inquiring I got the 'Hey cut that **** out' comment. Conversation went down hill from there - I'm a customer that indirectly is paying this clowns wage and expect to be treated like one. Tell me there are 2 guys a year shooting 38 super, remington, nickel brass with a blue marker strip around the base and that I had one piece in my bag that was not that exact brass and I'll say the guy may be right in principle but still a dip for how he did it, otherwise he should inquire and get his crap together before accusing someone. Heck even the check in guys routinely acted like they are doing you a favor taking your money. This one experience was the straw that broke the camels back - over the previous years I had been swept by other customers, watch them carry loaded guns to the tables and the RO's oblivious to the whole thing. When they did step in they did with no attempt to teach they yelled, intimidated and were demeaning. I think part of that is the crowd they deal with but hey, if you take a job as a RO, then do it right, be respectful, correct people, teach - if the continue to break the rooms ask them to leave but always do it nice.

In the end no loss on my part, I'm much, much happier at the other 2 places. I shoot about once a week so $80 a month, Bill's loss not mine.

As a perceptive at both the other ranges I'm welcomed when I arrive, politely checked in(in most cases thanked for coming back), asked if I have any lane preferences, offered help finding the lane, running the target trolley. If I'm there for any time the range officer will typically stop by -ask if things are OK - need anything, as I check out I'm asked if everything was acceptable, thanked for my business and welcomed to return soon.
mmcnx2

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:50 pm

As long as you guys are "dreaming" about building a longer indoor range, I will tell about a posting I made several years ago on the FCSA Member Forum.

:picsneeded:

To start thoughts correctly, the Power Ball lottery was at 315 million and going up.
Lots of people dream of what they would do if they WON the Lottery.

My dream back then was to build an indoor range, a rifle range for big rifles.
Those who know me will understand when I state I would build a 1-mile indoor range with 10 separate shooting lanes.
And of course, since I lived in Minnesota at the time and it was very cold outside, it would have to be heated also.

Lots of dreams of others went into the Topic as we discussed things like height of roof to allow for ballistic curve, width of shooting lanes, material for construction, lighting at benches, lighting at targets, target pits or retractable targets on a rail system, camera systems, sound-scoring systems like used in Switzerland, on-site reloading equipment and stations just for chronograph and pressure testing.

You know Dreams but BIG DREAMS.

But I gotta play the Lottery before I would ever have a chance to win the Lottery.
OldmanFCSA

Re:

Postby 28_days on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Ivan45 wrote:Yes, that's CP. There are six benches, but sometimes people move them around. I should say there is one folding bench that isn't the most stable but the others are good and are adjustable.

Could have been my bad luck then! However I'm hoping that they'll look at modernizing it in the next couple of years.
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Re: Re:

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:14 am

28_days wrote:
Ivan45 wrote:Yes, that's CP. There are six benches, but sometimes people move them around. I should say there is one folding bench that isn't the most stable but the others are good and are adjustable.

Could have been my bad luck then! However I'm hoping that they'll look at modernizing it in the next couple of years.

Even their good benches aren't all that comfortable.

If you can, definitely go in the day during the week. I've had the place to myself more often than not doing that.
FJ540

Re: Re:

Postby 28_days on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:47 pm

FJ540 wrote:
28_days wrote:

Even their good benches aren't all that comfortable.

If you can, definitely go in the day during the week. I've had the place to myself more often than not doing that.

Agreed.

Good suggestion. I try to when I have a day off here and there.
Best Regards,
28_days
28_days

Return to General Gun Chat