Gun Safe

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Gun Safe

Postby my1stpistol on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:01 am

I am in need of a safe( not a lockable cabinet ) that holds a few long guns and several pistols and ammo boxes. I find lots of places that sell online, but i like to touch expensive things b4 i buy them. Besides the big box stores, where can I go look at some? TC metro and northern suburbs preferred.

also any suggestions on make/models...

THANKS IN ADVANCE
my1stpistol

Re: Gun Safe

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:03 am

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:36 am

Got mine at mills fleet farm on sale.
Bearcatrp

Postby Randygmn on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:51 am

The "truth" about gun safes. The most important video you can watch before buying a gun safe.

http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8
Randygmn

Postby karlobag on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:09 am

+1 on http://safeandknifeco.com/rogers-mn-safes-vaults.htm

You can also try Shamrock Safe Co. 59563 300th Street, Litchfield, MN 55355 (320) 693-8725 and Scheels (Champion makes their "Outfitter" house brand).
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby tenmilmag on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:11 am

Buy once. Buy big!!!
tenmilmag

Postby george on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 am

I feel it all comes down to how much do you want to spend, you'll find out in time you cannot have enough safe. I'm up to 3 now but only one has a reasonable fire rating. Many lock companies has awesome safes, but be prepared for sticker shock. Good luck looking around and don't forget Tractor Supply if you're thinking of something better than a metal cabinet but less than a bank vault.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby my1stpistol on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for the video. Very informative.
Appreciate all the input.
my1stpistol

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:59 am

Arnzen arms will knock the socks off the Safe Company in Rodgers, but I didn't know that at the time. I am kicking myself for buying in Rodgers. Poor customer service after the unit was bought and high price. Get a Reed Custom at Arnzen Arms. They are made in Minnesota and built like a tank, mine has a 1/2" thick door. I am pleased with the safe, just not dealing with the guys in Rodgers. Basically I got the safe and the door liner was torn in two places. They told me to take it to a upholstery repair shop or similar. I was like - The safe was just delivered why would I take it in for repair. Then they quit returning my phone calls. I called Reed Custom direct. They shipped the part directly to me, very nice people, very helpful. I don't normally talk bad about other companies but in this case I think people should be aware.

This is one they have but they should be able to order others:
https://secure.arnzenarms.com/product/r ... less-steel

With the stainless steel doors you can't flame cut the door, a little extra bit of safety. Plus they are 3-5 times thicker than your average high quality safe. You wouldn't believe how thin the doors are on even a $2000 safe.
Sigfan220

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:21 pm

From all I've read, its really not the door you have to worry about. A fire axe to the bottom(if they tip it over) or to the sides, back or top is more likely than someone attacking the hardest part of the safe - the door. I guess it all depends what you want it to do. Keeping kids or the untrained casual thief at bay and provide some fire protection or duplicate fort knox.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mr.paul on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Check out Kat Keys in east downtown St. Paul. They have amsec and are decent to deal with.
mr.paul

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Make sure it has both combination and key to open. Brother bought one with just the combination and battery kept dying and shorting out. Paid 200 buck to a combo/key piece to open it.
Bearcatrp

Postby armedwalleye on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Call Al Dela at Security Sales in Ham Lake. Dealer/distributor for Champion and Superior vaults.
150 safes in stock. He delivers.
He did right for me on a Champion and Manny's Piano movers are in the area to move it if you need it upstairs, Al deliberations your driveway. 763-434-6679
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Whichever size safe you think you need, buy one or two sizes larger. Seriously. You will run out of space faster than you think. Once I got a safe, my wife proceeded to deposit a lot of documents and artifacts in there.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby linksep on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:56 am

Does anyone have a guideline for cost vs value of contents?

A $100 locking "security cabinet" might thwart the most casual of neighborhood kids, but then again those same neighborhood kids probably wouldn't touch a gun that was just leaned against the wall because it's a lot quicker and easier (and much lower chance of jail time) to pawn a TV or Xbox or earrings.

So is that $100 wasted? I could probably hide stuff more securely than putting it in a large obvious $100 cabinet.

IMO any safe under 400 lbs empty might as well be a $100 locking cabinet, anything over 400 lbs is >$600... Should one spend $600+ to secure $3k worth of possessions that have little or no sentimental value?in

What if you have $30k worth of possessions to protect? That wouldn't be too hard to imagine... $5k in jewelry, $5k in cash, $5k in misc family heirlooms, $15k is easy to spend on guns & optics and other accessories. How much should one spend protecting $30k?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Next

Return to General Gun Chat