Shot Show 2016

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Shot Show 2016

Postby goosed on Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 pm

Shot show, the premier gun show of the year, is just around the corner. As this show serves as the launching point for many new products is there anything interesting that you've heard rumors is coming or hoping for this year?

Vortex - launches 3 new scopes... couldn't find much on their new Sparc AR, but both of the other two are very high priced. The AMG may be the only completely American made scope... A first with American made glass? Certainly Leupold's glass isn't made here, may USO glass is?
LH(light hunter) - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-lh-3-15x42-g4-bdc-riflescope
AMG(Advanced Manufacturing Group) - http://foxs.pt/1mYPUzz

Savage - Has a few new models. Nothing that excites me, but there will be a new 22WMR and a new break open double barrel(410/22LR) takedown

Springfield - Stainless Range Officer - Will be interesting to see pricing. If it's near current RO prices I may buy one to keep my pakerized RO company.
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/1/10/springfield-armory-1911-range-officer-now-in-brushed-stainless/

S&W - We all know about their new 22. The shield gets some updates. There are internet rumors of a "next-gen" M&P to compete for the military contract. Haven't see anything concrete yet

Ammo/Reloading - Haven't heard of much on this front of interest. Nosler 30 will be released *yawn*, sig is releasing 300blk, browning is releasing new hunting ammo and Federal is releasing a 9mm round that will offer better expansion from sub-compacts.
goosed

Shot Show 2016

Postby gaberelli on Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:47 am

ATN is releasing a gen 2 X-Sight

Springfield is also releasing threaded FDE models of the XDm.

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Re: Shot Show 2016

Postby goosed on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:43 pm

New Timney 2 stage triggers - cheapest 2 stage available for the R700?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fQS6rcW5rk

Edit: Apparently I'm not too bright as embedding youtube video didn't work... changed to a link for now
goosed

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:08 pm

USO uses Schott glass from Germany.
Leupold uses Light Optical glass from Japan.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby goosed on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm

A little disappointed in the lack of new products or lack of reporting at shot this year. Nothing too exciting this year. Maybe now that the show is over we will finally get some reports and actually useful details.

I haven't heard/seen much on Leupold's (besides vx3i) new offerings. Yet their website shows a few https://www.leupold.com/new-products/
Certainly the vx-6 & cds turrets aren't new... does cds-zl = zero lock/zero stop?... I have to assume you're getting something for the extra $250 in price over other vx-6?
Leupy prices are still a little high across the board, imo, but can't deny the glass is always among the best available at each price point. Mechanical tracking not so much...

Not much talk out there about Bushnell's updated DMR line... GAP had some info, but not much. I really like the ERS, so I'm surprised no one is talking about these. Looks like LRHS low pro turrets and a built in cat tail with illumination? Pricing was suggested to be around $1,500 isn't much more than LRHS without illumination. 3.5-21x w/illumination vs 3-12w/o at nearly the same price... something seems off?

Sig's new scopes seem pretty good in regards to overall package... though, imo, ballistic turrets are a joke. I wish companies would quit putting out that junk.

Athlon scopes are getting some nice reviews as another budget FFP option. Seems awful similar in appearance to Primary arms 4-14, but more money... hard to tell much from the packaging as glass prescription/coating/indexing and mechanical tracking, the parts that actually mean something, are hidden inside. Waiting to see more info, but 10yd parallax focus is intriguing for 22lr.

If you got more money than you know what to do with Accuracy international and Sako have some competition in the top end factory rifle category. Haenel, not a new company or rifle just first time it will arrive in the USA in quantity. It has won government contracts over the AX and TRG, included the German army contract when it went head to head with both. Caracal will be the importer, no word on pricing, I'm guessing they'll start in the $5k range and go up from there depending on desired model/features?

Desert tech MDR is finally up for pre-sale. A unique bullpup semi-auto that can easily switch calibers from 5.56 up to 308. Ejection can even be moved from right to left side for lefties. Seems like it is a fun idea. Though not any more practical for my uses than the DP-12, another cool idea I currently have no use for.

Sig Kilo 2000k was released pre-shot, but worth mentioning. A $500 long range laser range finder. Reported performance similar to Leica 1600B inside 1000yds, but cheaper. Past 1,000 initial claims state it destroys the Leica and Bushnell offerings near the same price point. May end up ordering one myself to compare with my Leica 1600(pre-B) just out of curiosity. Reports of 1,500+ yds on 1-2MOA steel targets is pretty impressive, certainly further than my needs/skills currently dictate.
goosed

Postby goosed on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:46 pm

goosed wrote:New Timney 2 stage triggers - cheapest 2 stage available for the R700?

Brownell's and Timney have pre-orders available. Cheapest 2 stage I'm aware of at $200-$218. Not cheap... still better than nearly $400 for a Huber.
goosed

Postby Boone on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:26 am

The Vortex Sparc AR is posted up on their site now. http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/sparc_ar_red_dot

I thought the SilencerCo Maxim 9 was pretty interesting and hoping to see a full production model soon.
"Once a Marine, always a Marine...

...why re-enlist?"
Boone

Postby goosed on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:01 pm

The maxim 9 has been teased since what 2014? Would be nice to see it finally released.

I like the idea of an integral suppressor... the $200 stamp and 6 month weight time per gun... not so much.
The recently released Omega 9k, nice small foot print and light weight is appealing, handles 9mm, 223 or 300blk. Too bad it's not user serviceable.
goosed

Postby Meta-Prometheus on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:30 am

Magpul - Had their new Hunter stock for Rem 700 LA, 20rd MOE ak47/akm mags and now 30rd MOE ak74 mags, 2nd gen UBR stock, 3rd gen? PRS stock and they also displayed their new dual purpose (serious use/casual) clothing (shirts, pants, gloves, etc.).

Fostech - Had their equivalent to the Franklin Armory binary trigger for the AR-15, the Fostech Echo trigger. Basically you get safe, semi and "binary" selector settings. Binary being you fire a round when you press the trigger then you also fire a round upon releasing the trigger. Silly stupid marketing to mall ninjas and I don't see it as anything other than completely dangerous.

Trigger Light (don't know company name) - Basically a pressure pad for your light/laser that is placed on your trigger so you can ID your target before shooting!?!?!? :shock: :| :?: I don't even know how to process the stupidity involved in this one. This "trigger light" and the people who cooked it up plain and simple scare me. Just when you think it can't get any worse... Here is the video that I initially saw on it: https://www.full30.com/video/124430863a ... 2bf?ref=ir

M+M INC - They continue to develop and improve their M10x. I have to say it is a sexy gun but I can plain as day see the Swiss SIG 55x influence in the gun.

BlueForceGear - Some new color patterns for their Vickers slings.

CZ - Making headway on getting a rifle version of their Bren and Scorpion stateside this year (2016).

IWI US - Working hard to get the X95 stateside this year (2016) as well as sorting out the Galil Ace mess. If you don't know what that mess is, basically all the Galil Ace's in the country had to be recalled b/c they had three pin holes in the receiver. If you know anything about AK's, that third pin hole is for the auto-sear/trip lever. So ATF decided to rule they are machine guns. Talk about job security, f******g government. The new IWI Galil ACE 7.62 NATO version was there however, with the pre-production sample. Supposedly takes SR-25 / Magpul 7.62 Nato mags. I imagine it would have a "revised" trigger group.

SIG - I didn't really see anything about SIG products that was new. Just more MCX and MPX updates.

COLT - These guys are getting out of bankruptcy. Their new product lines feature 1911's nobody cares about and the COLT Expanse AR-15. Basically just a 6920 minus the following: non-chrome lined barrel, no rear sight included, no dust cover, no forward assist. MSRP I remember on this being $699. Too little too late in my opinion, but could be a good way to get Colt lowers. Which of course is the only part people want so they can brag about it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ithaca - I guess they are working jointly with some other outfit to bring an Ithaca M37 Trench Gun reproduction to market? Would be neat to see. The real deal Ithaca Trench Guns are spendy!

AR-500 Armor - They are bringing some new soft and hard armor carriers to market. Concealable, Tactical, etc.

Hill & Mac Gunworks - They are bringing a Sturmgewehr 44 reproduction (STG-N) to market. Supposedly to be available in rifle and pistol form, in original 7.92x33mm Kurz (8mm Kurz/8mm Short) 5.56 and 300 blackout?

FNH - FN SCAR Mk20 SSR. 20 inch heavy? barrel DMR variant.

Geissele Automatics - Iraqveteran8888 did a lengthy interview (34 minutes) with the man himself Bill Geissele. If you can swing it, I would suggest watching it! The man is a smorgasbord of information. Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HSEWVEdaVY

That's all that I can remember off the top of my head.
"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Meta-Prometheus

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Anybody go by the FCSA Booth?

Or stop and talk to them?

FCSA = Fifty Caliber Shooters Association.
OldmanFCSA

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:03 pm

The FN SCAR Mk20 was obsolete about 5 minutes after it finished testing. Special operations units have all moved away from longer barrel 7.62s as they've started carrying more .300WM and .338LM rifles, and using 16" 7.62s for closer ranges.
The result is a commercial gun that is going to be less accurate than any of its competitors, and more expensive because it reached Milestone C.

I talked to FN a couple years ago about getting the Mk20 (LE SWAT sniper purchase) back before it got delayed. The estimated price I was told back then was in the $4k range (for LE), but I've been seeing speculation now online of it going up to $6k for commercial sales. I don't know which it will be, but there's no way this rifle won't be insanely expensive.

goosed wrote:
Sig's new scopes seem pretty good in regards to overall package... though, imo, ballistic turrets are a joke. I wish companies would quit putting out that junk.

Are you referring to them having the tactical style adjustment turrets? Or having them as an option on the Whiskey line?
What in regards to this are you referring to?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby goosed on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:04 pm

UnaStamus wrote:
goosed wrote:Sig's new scopes seem pretty good in regards to overall package... though, imo, ballistic turrets are a joke. I wish companies would quit putting out that junk.

Are you referring to them having the tactical style adjustment turrets? Or having them as an option on the Whiskey line?
What in regards to this are you referring to?

No issues with tactical or target style turrets. My issue is with turrets setup for predetermined yardages. Imo, it's not much better than good old kentucky windage as bullet drop changes with DA.

The initial video on the shot show channel I saw didn't show it was just an option... If you have further information, specs, reticles, etc. please share with the community.
goosed

Postby Meta-Prometheus on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:17 pm

It seems more videos and info came out after Shot this year as opposed to while it was going on. A couple more things I've learned about.

Arsenal / FIME Group - Importing a neat looking pistol from Slovenia. The Arex Rex Zero 1 pistol, full size in 9mm. Other sizes and calibers coming later I guess. At first glance it looks like another SIG P226 clone, which I guess is a common trend there in eastern Europe. They sure seem to like the SIG design. Anyways, I'll let the linked article with video do the talking: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2016 ... 1s-pistol/

Italian Firearms Group - Pedersoli Ithaca pistol in 45LC/410. Neat double barrel pistol idea, based on their howdah style pistols. Chambered obviously in 45LC to be a pistol, but also accommodates 410 like the Judge/Governor revolvers. Since Short Barrel Shotguns are not legal in Minnesota this could be a neat alternative. I have not been able to find this pistol on their website, but it is new for 2016.
Meta-Prometheus

Postby goosed on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 pm

Meta-Prometheus wrote:It seems more videos and info came out after Shot this year as opposed to while it was going on.

I noticed that too. Though it does seem companies are holding out more and more with announcing products until later in the season. Shot show isn't the launching platform it used to be with social media carring info so quickly these days. No matter when an item is released everyone knows about it instantly... times are changing. I think we'll see plenty more items trickle out throughout the year. Kind of a golden time for the firearm industry with plenty of new products, innovations and strong consumer demand.

A youtube channel called the 6.5 guys put up a bunch of interviews. Primarily targeting long range and PRS competition equipment.
6.5 guys with Seekins, the new hand guard for the RPR is exciting, seems to solve the biggest issues with the factory Samson guard

RIA has a new conversion/caliber for glocks with a claimed muzzle velocity of 2000+fps. Essentially a 9mm case necked to .22cal. with a nice catchy name: 22TCM9R :roll:
goosed

Postby Meta-Prometheus on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:55 pm

goosed wrote:
Meta-Prometheus wrote:It seems more videos and info came out after Shot this year as opposed to while it was going on.

I noticed that too. Though it does seem companies are holding out more and more with announcing products until later in the season. Shot show isn't the launching platform it used to be with social media carring info so quickly these days. No matter when an item is released everyone knows about it instantly... times are changing. I think we'll see plenty more items trickle out throughout the year. Kind of a golden time for the firearm industry with plenty of new products, innovations and strong consumer demand.

A youtube channel called the 6.5 guys put up a bunch of interviews. Primarily targeting long range and PRS competition equipment.
6.5 guys with Seekins, the new hand guard for the RPR is exciting, seems to solve the biggest issues with the factory Samson guard

RIA has a new conversion/caliber for glocks with a claimed muzzle velocity of 2000+fps. Essentially a 9mm case necked to .22cal. with a nice catchy name: 22TCM9R :roll:

The 22TCM (RIA) and 22TCM9R (Armscor) are definitely interesting, but I knew about these last year. When I was still living in the Denver area, my LGS started stocking 22TCM guns and ammo last spring/summer. Seemed neat enough I guess?
Meta-Prometheus

Next

Return to General Gun Chat