Franklin Armory Binary Firing Sysyem

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:58 pm

If this was already posted, please delete this. Didn't see it anywhere.
Has anyone seen or know anything about this system? Posting a link. There is a video of it in action. Scroll down. Is this legal?
http://www.recoilweb.com/franklin-armor ... 73759.html
Bearcatrp

Re: Franklin Armory Binary Firing Sysyem

Postby 2in2out on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Military Arms Channel did a video on it, and I didn't think it looked all that great.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:49 am

According to the website, it hasn't been approved by the ATF, only by a retired ATF agent. :?

Sounds to me like a good way to get some unwanted attention from law enforcement.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Lumpy on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm

Considering that devices to make trigger pull faster are illegal, I'd say that even if it technically doesn't violate the law that loophole will be closed as soon as it comes to someone's attention. Anything that even smacks of full-auto fire = "Deathomatic 9000" in non-gun owners eyes. The antis would ban semi-auto if they could.
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

I think the novelty would wear off quickly.
Ghost

Postby jshuberg on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Sounds ridiculously dangerous to me. Normally, firing the weapon requires a person to perform an active operation -squeezing the trigger. This trigger allows the gun to fire as the result of a passive operation -relaxing or releasing the trigger finger.

In this mode of operation, the "keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire" safety rule could itself result in a ND as taking your finger off the trigger has the potential to fire the weapon.

This is the dumbest forking thing I've seen in a long time. I would avoid anyone you see using this trigger. My guess is this ends with a lawsuit after someone is killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:18 pm

I agree with this being one of the dumber things I've seen in recent memory. How do you make the weapon safe if you're holding the second round back? Can you disengage the "Binary" selector to the semi mode and have it not fire when the trigger is released?

The novelty would wear off as soon as I had the first hammer follow. It's a poorly designed, poorly executed, poorly thought through concept that will most likely end in ATF making even more rules to further restrict our liberties because some jackwad had to try to game the system with this POS. I seriously doubt stuff like this and bump fire stocks are making the ATF TB want to repeal the GCA and open the registry again. :roll:
FJ540

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:53 am

The fatal flaw in the interpretation is that they cite the legality of release-fire triggers. The problem is that those triggers do not fire a round when you pull them- only when you release. One trigger pull and release action fires one round and only one round. The BATFE had firmly held the position that a single round may be fired per trigger pull, and they've also previously stood on the position that a trigger pull is considered to be both the pull and release/reset. My understanding is that Franklin is getting around this with the BFS by claiming that it is two separate actions with the pull and release, and that it can be turned on and off in between the two shots by changing the selector switch. I give this three months before it's deemed to be illegal by the BATFE, and I highly doubt they're going to have to write new laws to make it illegal. All they need to do is interpret one single definition.

All that aside, I agree with the rest of you- this is an incredibly stupid and unsafe accessory. Firing a round by releasing a trigger is contrary to everything we learn about firearms safety.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am

UnaStamus wrote:The fatal flaw in the interpretation is that they cite the legality of release-fire triggers. The problem is that those triggers do not fire a round when you pull them- only when you release. One trigger pull and release action fires one round and only one round. The BATFE had firmly held the position that a single round may be fired per trigger pull, and they've also previously stood on the position that a trigger pull is considered to be both the pull and release/reset. My understanding is that Franklin is getting around this with the BFS by claiming that it is two separate actions with the pull and release, and that it can be turned on and off in between the two shots by changing the selector switch. I give this three months before it's deemed to be illegal by the BATFE, and I highly doubt they're going to have to write new laws to make it illegal. All they need to do is interpret one single definition.

All that aside, I agree with the rest of you- this is an incredibly stupid and unsafe accessory. Firing a round by releasing a trigger is contrary to everything we learn about firearms safety.

I agree with what others are saying, but this does get me thinking about the concept. Not this particular product mind you but what are thoughts on a release fire trigger in general? Thinking target rifle application. Trigger activation is of course an area with tons of experimentation, invention, and focus. What if we flipped it? release the trigger? I can think of designs where the influence of the human error on the trigger activation could be nill.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am

Release triggers have been used on some high end trap shotguns for as far back as I can remember. And I've seen their use result in more than a couple AD's. Personally, I wish they didn't exist.
shooter115

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:34 am

shooter115 wrote:Release triggers have been used on some high end trap shotguns for as far back as I can remember. And I've seen their use result in more than a couple AD's. Personally, I wish they didn't exist.

:iagree:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 pm

I didn't look that close but is this using the full auto position for this system and then works normal when in the standard fire position? Seems dangerous, imagine hunting with it, only a range toy at best.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Ghost wrote:I didn't look that close but is this using the full auto position for this system and then works normal when in the standard fire position? Seems dangerous, imagine hunting with it, only a range toy at best.

That's how I read it.
Further, it appears you can 'back out' of the release-fire mode by switching to normal/ Semi Auto fire, and release the trigger without a discharge.
That said, if there is a more bone-headed, accident waiting to happen design out there, I cannot think of it at the moment.
A counterintuitive, and overly complex manual of arms for the person it will attract.
It gives credence to the alphabet agencies need/ desire to regulate stuff.
I wouldn't be on the same range with this thing.

I would relish pulling the trigger on such a release fire mechanism with almost the same enthusiasm I would stepping on a release fire land mine. The odds of something bad happening are high.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Please don't put these in the big boomer pistols or ranges will need to keep body bags on hand.
Ghost

Postby igofast on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:41 pm

While I'm not necessarily for or against this device, please let me know what firing range you guys are at that people still have their finger on the trigger as they are leaving or off the line. I want to stay away. Personally I have not encountered such an occurrence.

As others have stated - the release trigger is nothing new, some shotgunner's swear by them. There was also a release trigger for benchrest - but I can't find the reference now for the life of me.

May be handy for controlled pairs, obviously doesn't work too well for mag dumps(not that those are practical). For now I'll put it in the 'novelty' column like bumpfire stocks and Taccon forced reset triggers.
igofast

Next

Return to General Gun Chat