Scope fell apart at the range

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Scope fell apart at the range

Postby shooter115 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:02 pm

samginko wrote:
MJY65 wrote:
striped1 wrote:Vortex is awesome. They will fix or replace. Give them a chance to make it right.

It seems like a lot of people have personal experience with Vortex customer service and warranty. I'm thinking that's not necessarily a good thing.

YouTube is filled with people talking about vortex customer service. Yes, razor line is great, but what about the rest of your line.

Speaking first hand, the Vipers, Spark red dots and Spitfire prismatic are great as well.
shooter115

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 pm

It goes out tomorrow. Will let you know how good or bad vortex takes care of there customers. Keep an eye is the accessories section. Will sell whatever comes back (not for 10 bucks you vultures)! Will probably get this for my replacement...
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical ... 78365.aspx
Bearcatrp

Postby Ivan45 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 pm

It will be your loss, Vortex customer service is the best in the business. My rifles wear Vortex, and for the money, they can't be beat.
Ivan45

Postby PRS on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:52 pm

I'll give you $150 for that glass.
PRS

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 pm

Vortex customer service is very good and they will always take care of you. Unfortunately it is very necessary for their lower end of optics. This is not all that unreasonable, because the primary concerns are with the Crossfire and Diamondback line. Those two scopes are the lowest in quality. Crossfire is Chinese made, and Diamondback is Philippine made. All models from the Diamondback to the Viper PST are made in the Philippines. The Razors are made in Japan. There are distinct tiers when it comes to Vortex quality. You rarely see issues with the Razor or Viper PST line, but you do see a majority of the issues with Vortex hovering down in the Crossfire and Diamondback line, as well as with their Spitfire RDS.

I've owned Viper PST and shot behind several models from Vortex. I would never again own a non-Razor Vortex scope. There is such a massive difference in quality there.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby MJY65 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:28 am

shooter115 wrote:Well the closest offering Leupold makes to what you have would be the VX-R Patrol 1.24-4. It's also about $800, so like 4x the money of your vortex. Not really comparing apples to apples here.

Midway lists the Leupold at $599 and the Vortex at $249, so a little more than double, not 4x.
MJY65

Postby atomic41 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:11 am

Bearcatrp wrote:It goes out tomorrow. Will let you know how good or bad vortex takes care of there customers. Keep an eye is the accessories section. Will sell whatever comes back (not for 10 bucks you vultures)! Will probably get this for my replacement...
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical ... 78365.aspx

Yes! I was about to post a link to that very same SWFA that you are looking at. I bought that when it released and have put a lot of rounds downrange with it. It has quickly become one of my favorite scopes ever. They do a bundle package if you use their one piece mount. Great glass, the reticle tracks nicely and has a very user friendly holdover for 100, 200, and 300 yards. (consider some variance depending on your ammo) The quick throw lever is very nice, and there is a spare sealed battery compartment built in to the reticle switch. I think that scope is the best bang for your buck and it holds it's own with more expensive 1-4 scopes. SWFA is awesome.

I have a Vortex viper pst, 2.5-10x on a .308 that is a great scope. The reticle rotated on me but Vortex repaired it and returned it in about a week. They have outstanding customer service. I don't think I would ever buy their cheaper stuff but the rest is GTG.
atomic41

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:33 am

Cheer up... Was at OGC doing range duty, and a guy with a scoped slug gun pulled the trigger, and his scope fell off COMPLETELY. Went klunk!!! on the range table. :x I could see that the screws pulled out of the receiver, leaving two jagged holes in the top of it. Didn't look to be a full 1/8" of metal there either, so I'm not sure how drilling and tapping new holes would be any getter...

All I could say was, "well, I guess you're done for the day...." :x :oops: :cry: :evil: :( :o :shock:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:34 pm

I actually owned the swfa 1x4 when it first came out for 100 bucks off. Sold it for a pretty good profit but now regret selling it. Did not mount it but pulled it out of the box and knew it was a sweet scope. Once I sell whatever I get back, unless they really take care of me and send me a new 1x6 (doubt it though). I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one of the 1000 dollar vortex scopes once my swfa 20x sells but thats out. It may have been there cheap line but for that to pop off from the recoil makes me wonder on there designs in general.

Sam, that would have been a sight to see. What was he shooting, a 338 or something pretty heavy?
Bearcatrp

Postby usnret on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Cheer up... Was at OGC doing range duty, and a guy with a scoped slug gun pulled the trigger, and his scope fell off COMPLETELY. Went klunk!!! on the range table. :x I could see that the screws pulled out of the receiver, leaving two jagged holes in the top of it. Didn't look to be a full 1/8" of metal there either, so I'm not sure how drilling and tapping new holes would be any getter...

All I could say was, "well, I guess you're done for the day...." :x :oops: :cry: :evil: :( :o :shock:

A little super glue and duct tape. There you go, good as new.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 pm

MJY65 wrote:
shooter115 wrote:Well the closest offering Leupold makes to what you have would be the VX-R Patrol 1.24-4. It's also about $800, so like 4x the money of your vortex. Not really comparing apples to apples here.

Midway lists the Leupold at $599 and the Vortex at $249, so a little more than double, not 4x.

That's not even in the same category. The Leupold VX-R Patrol is on par with the VX-3 line. The VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x is the direct competitor to the Viper PST 1-4x. While the optical quality is pretty similar, the Leupold has the FireDot illumination, which is far superior to Vortex's illumination with regards to shooting speed and daylight illumination and usability. The Viper PST is not daylight visible in all conditions; or at least the one I've looked through wasn't. The Viper PST benefits from the lower $499 price point.

The Crossfire, in terms of optical quality, is on par with Leupold Rifleman or VX-1 optical quality. Leupold has a VX-1 1.25-4x for $249, so you have a comparable scope with better build quality, but unfortunately you lose out because the VX-1 is without the illumination. In this case cost is deceptive, because the added expense of the Crossfire 1-4x comes from its illumination; not from build quality or optical quality.

The Leupold Mark AR Mod1 setup is similar to the VX-2 line, and is similar to or slightly better than the Vortex Diamondback HP line IMO. In this realm, you have the Mark AR Mod1 1.25-4x with FireDot SPR illumination that is $449, and comparable to it is the Vortex StrikeEagle 1-6x at $329. Again, you have different trade-offs. The StrikeEagle has a better magnification range and better price, which makes it a better deal than the Leupold Mark AR. This is despite the Mark AR having what I feel is a better illumination system.

Point being, you have to compare the right categories to each other. Saying that the direct competitor to the Crossfire is the Leupold VX-R Patrol is like saying that a Daewoo is comparable to an Acura. Or a Mossberg is comparable to a Weatherby.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:I actually owned the swfa 1x4 when it first came out for 100 bucks off. Sold it for a pretty good profit but now regret selling it. Did not mount it but pulled it out of the box and knew it was a sweet scope. Once I sell whatever I get back, unless they really take care of me and send me a new 1x6 (doubt it though). I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one of the 1000 dollar vortex scopes once my swfa 20x sells but thats out. It may have been there cheap line but for that to pop off from the recoil makes me wonder on there designs in general.

Sam, that would have been a sight to see. What was he shooting, a 338 or something pretty heavy?

Read my post again - scoped 12 GA slug gun.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:I actually owned the swfa 1x4 when it first came out for 100 bucks off. Sold it for a pretty good profit but now regret selling it. Did not mount it but pulled it out of the box and knew it was a sweet scope. Once I sell whatever I get back, unless they really take care of me and send me a new 1x6 (doubt it though). I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one of the 1000 dollar vortex scopes once my swfa 20x sells but thats out. It may have been there cheap line but for that to pop off from the recoil makes me wonder on there designs in general.

Read my post again - scoped 12 GA slug gun.

Dam, missed that. thanks
Reason why I liked the crossfire was the illuminated red dot only. Was the perfect size. Other scopes have more stuff illuminated, not just the red dot.
Bearcatrp

Postby samginko on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm

"I have a Vortex viper pst, 2.5-10x on a .308 that is a great scope. The reticle rotated on me but Vortex repaired it and returned it in about a week. They have outstanding customer service. I don't think I would ever buy their cheaper stuff but the rest is GTG."

This is irony right? Its the quality control we are talking about. Takes time to mount a scope than sight it in. I really wanted to buy vortex, with my veteran's discount I could have gotten them cheaper than used. But, I started reading about the problems. Lots of problems.

Again, ones that work are stellar, but google "PST problems". At certain point, it becomes a trend.
samginko

Postby Ghost on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm

samginko wrote:"I have a Vortex viper pst, 2.5-10x on a .308 that is a great scope. The reticle rotated on me but Vortex repaired it and returned it in about a week. They have outstanding customer service. I don't think I would ever buy their cheaper stuff but the rest is GTG."

This is irony right? Its the quality control we are talking about. Takes time to mount a scope than sight it in. I really wanted to buy vortex, with my veteran's discount I could have gotten them cheaper than used. But, I started reading about the problems. Lots of problems.

Again, ones that work are stellar, but google "PST problems". At certain point, it becomes a trend.

Buy a razor HD gen II, don't look back.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat