Sportsman's Guide

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Sportsman's Guide

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Researching Ammo and Sportsman's Guide keeps popping up with really good prices. Am I seeing the website correctly, they are open 24hrs a day? Say it ain't true............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:33 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Researching Ammo and Sportsman's Guide keeps popping up with really good prices. Am I seeing the website correctly, they are open 24hrs a day? Say it ain't true............

It ain't true...
...far from it...
Retail Store Hours:

Mon. - Sat., 10 a.m to 6:30 p.m.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ourcompany/retailstore
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Their web site is high. I called, and their recording says they're open (if I remember right) 10-6 Monday through Saturday, closed Sunday and Monday. I didn't take the time to speak to a human; maybe the answering machine is high too, but 10-6 seems more likely.

Before I started reloading, I bought some ammo from them online. Unfortunately, they didn't (at least at that time, 8-10 years ago) have any store pickup arrangement whereby you could avoid shipping charges. They had ammo on the shelf but not the same deals as online. The store was worth a trip anyway, lots of random outdoorsy stuff, kinda like a low-rent Fleet Farm.
Pat Cannon

Postby ttousi on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:54 pm

go online and check stock then go to the retail store..... .same price ...if not let them know and you get the lower price.

I go couple times a month just for a field trip
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:10 pm

I was getting the 24 hours off the Google search information that they post in a summary for the business. I can't open the site at work, so I'm sure you are right on the hours.

I want to get bulk 5.56/.223 ammo from them and I have Friday off, so maybe a trip over there would be a good idea.

Should I order online and then pick it up in the store or just show up with the online price on my phone to make sure I get the pricing when they pull it from the warehouse?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:21 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I was getting the 24 hours off the Google search information that they post in a summary for the business. I can't open the site at work, so I'm sure you are right on the hours.

I want to get bulk 5.56/.223 ammo from them and I have Friday off, so maybe a trip over there would be a good idea.

Should I order online and then pick it up in the store or just show up with the online price on my phone to make sure I get the pricing when they pull it from the warehouse?

I think I'd order it.
That might make it more likely you'll get it.
The one time I tried buying .223 from them(during the draught) they had it stacked on the counter a foot high, but would not sell me any, as it was all 'spoken for'.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby my1stpistol on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Save some time in store and order it then go pick it up. Store is really a wharehouse and over/old stock so its not really well staffed

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
my1stpistol

Re:

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:40 pm

my1stpistol wrote:Save some time in store and order it then go pick it up. Store is really a wharehouse and over/old stock so its not really well staffed

Can you do that? I thought if you ordered it you had to have it shipped. In the store you can order anything they have online and it IS NOT over/old stock they fill it from the warehouse right there.
Holland&Holland

Re: Re:

Postby ttousi on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
my1stpistol wrote:Save some time in store and order it then go pick it up. Store is really a wharehouse and over/old stock so its not really well staffed

Can you do that? I thought if you ordered it you had to have it shipped. In the store you can order anything they have online and it IS NOT over/old stock they fill it from the warehouse right there.

this.........

you can look it up in store as well. I used to check online, print off stock numbers on available items then go in and fill out the form and have it picked from the warehouse
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby bluto on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:23 am

I've never bought a firearm from them but love the place for ammo and mags ( sometimes ), I could care less what the store looks like, it's a freaking surplus store not a macys.

I call to make sure the product I want is in stock and run down to the store and put my order in and bingo bango, it's all good.
bluto

Postby photogpat on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:13 am

Inside the store - sometimes items aren't where you'd expect them to be.

I found an entire box of 1911 mags in one of the boot aisles once.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: Re:

Postby my1stpistol on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:02 pm

ttousi wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

this.........

you can look it up in store as well. I used to check online, print off stock numbers on available items then go in and fill out the form and have it picked from the warehouse

Not everything in the catalog/online is available to take home immediatly, such as firearms, and would be best to check availability before . But yes they can pull a lot ( if not most ) of things right there.
But the store front is a bit of a mess.
my1stpistol

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:15 am

Firearms are the only thing they can't do right there. Their cataloged items are all there. If it is in stock they can pull it.

Firearms are different. They just started carrying them again after many years of not. They order them in so there is lead time with that. Do not think of them as a gun store.
Holland&Holland

Postby aprilian on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 pm

I work only a couple miles away and still find it is easier to just wait until free shipping is offered to buyer's club members, then have it delivered.

I like the place, not nearly as pretentious as a certain big box retailer who may soon sell out to Bass Pro Shops.
aprilian

Postby gbono23 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:48 am

I bought my last handgun there, ordered it and they notified me when it was available for pickup. Saved my FFL fee, but had to pay a firearm fee at the store. Even at that, my cost for a new XDs was only $10 more than a friend paid for his, and he got his at cost thru his employer. It took 3 days to get the weapon to the store.
gbono23

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat