Surpise at the doc's office

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Surpise at the doc's office

Postby dismal on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:49 am

So, my son had a doc appt at a local well known medical establishment, and he was given a book they published called "Preteens making smart choices". I paged though it quick, didn't see anything to unusual, mostly common sense stuff about exercise, good eating, rest, etc. But, near the end, there was a page titled "Gun safety". I was very worried about what I would read here, but I was *very* surprised. :o It was pretty much Eddie Eagle advice plus a modified version of two of the four rules. But, the kicker was this line:

If you're interested in guns, take a firearms safety course.
:shock:

Apparently they have some right-thinking folks in the peds dept. :)

preteen-health.jpg
dismal

Re: Surpise at the doc's office

Postby Dakotared on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 am

Good to see that some one had common sense when they made up this booklet.
Dakotared

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:03 am

Not what I expected. Good deal.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 am

Nice to see that! Not what I would have expected in this day and age.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby mr.paul on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm

A ray of hope
mr.paul

Postby unfitmother on Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:25 pm

I love that first sentence. "Many homes have guns, and lots of people use them safely." No bull$hit right there!

dismal wrote:Apparently they have some right-thinking folks in the peds dept. :)

Something tells me that there was no right vs. left fight in the editing room for this section. I think that there is a trend in the insurance/health-care industry to prevent hospital visits, and that people with developed critical thinking skills (regardless of political views) are the ones behind it.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby LePetomane on Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:04 pm

I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives. Some are expected to ask about guns, ammo, smoking, bicycle helmets, seat belts, etc. instead of detecting and treating diseases. I have a friend who needs to lose about 100 pounds. He went to the Mayo for his check up. They told him he had pre-diabetes, pre-heart disease, pre-elevated cholesterol and he left with 4 new prescriptions. Never did they tell him to lose weight. He thinks they are wonderful. It seems that patient satisfaction is becoming more important than outcome.

Big Brother is watching and he will do it through your medical record and doctor.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Lumpy on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 pm

LePetomane wrote:I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives.
Hmm., paranoia. Better prescribe some meds... :mrgreen:
Lumpy

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:29 am

LePetomane wrote:I don't like this crap at all. This has no place in the practice of medicine. I don't like the fact that doctors are expected to run every aspect of our lives. Some are expected to ask about guns, ammo, smoking, bicycle helmets, seat belts, etc. instead of detecting and treating diseases. I have a friend who needs to lose about 100 pounds. He went to the Mayo for his check up. They told him he had pre-diabetes, pre-heart disease, pre-elevated cholesterol and he left with 4 new prescriptions. Never did they tell him to lose weight. He thinks they are wonderful. It seems that patient satisfaction is becoming more important than outcome.

Big Brother is watching and he will do it through your medical record and doctor.

So I'd guess you wouldn't be for gun safety courses offered through schools?
Ghost

Postby LePetomane on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 am

Ghost wrote:So I'd guess you wouldn't be for gun safety courses offered through schools?

It would be a lot better than the crap they are teaching these days, namely global warming, globalism, multiculuturalism, diversity and sensitivity training, conflict resolution, etc.

Kids should first learn about firearms at home provided their parents are responsible gun owners.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 am

LePetomane wrote:
Ghost wrote:So I'd guess you wouldn't be for gun safety courses offered through schools?

Kids should first learn about firearms at home provided their parents are responsible gun owners.

True. But, my wife came from a family whom knew nothing of guns. She learned about guns in school. I'd have no problem with it being taught in phys ed.

I learned from my dad, we didn't get taught it in school.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:29 pm

I agree that you can't always assume the household is gun familiar. I know many adults who have never handled a gun. Those people have children who would have no first hand knowledge of guns.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hmac on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:37 am

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/07/2 ... -guns.html

A majority of U.S. adults say it’s at least sometimes appropriate for doctors to discuss guns with patients during check-ups, a nationwide survey finds.

While just 23 percent of people surveyed thought it was always OK for doctors to ask about guns, another 14 percent said this was usually appropriate and an additional 30 percent considered it reasonable in some situations.
Hmac

Postby jdege on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:06 am

In my opinion, any doctor who is an NRA-certified firearm safety instructor should have every right to instruct his patients on firearms safety.
jdege

Postby crbutler on Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:34 am

Looks to me like they did offer appropriate education regarding firearms, in this instance. Some places offer some really strange ideas at times. From what was said, it looks like this was appropriate.

One thing that folks tend to forget is that in regards to firearms, the folks here have a heck of a lot better understanding of them than the average bear. I don't like propaganda, but docs do need to offer some reasonable advice, and this seems to be something reasonable to say to some preteen or young teenager that is nonjudgmental and reasonable. Lots is just common sense, but face it, most folks either don't have it or neglect to follow it... I am not sure that a doc saying something has that much effect, but it's better than nothing I guess.

And yes, the medical profession has become way too concerned with "patient satisfaction" and it is becoming something that reimbursement is based off of. This is not a good thing.
crbutler

Next

Return to General Gun Chat