Resting a rifle on the hood.

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Resting a rifle on the hood.

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:24 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:
Ghost wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:or telling you how to use and AR15 for home defense.

Is there a downside to this?

Over penetration, or miss. That round is going on to the next thing, which might be a good long distance way and something you did not see in the flight path. Also not very easy to handle in close quarters, requiring 2 hands to run effectively. Time on target in most cases is slower and ability to stop an advance at 20 feet and under with a single round is less than with many other options.

In terms of practicality and effectiveness in most cases a pistol (large and expanding bullets) is preferred, then very short barreled shotgun(buck shot) , last a rifle.

Folk are watching way to many movies if they really think an AR is the best tool for close work with uncertain backstops.

Lastly, you are most likely going to court if you use it. Totally bias on the side of juries, but I'd rather defend the use of a pistol over and AR for protection any day.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/17/self-defense-inside-the-home-avoiding-over-penetratio/
Despite the popularity of the round, too few realize that 9mm ball ammo can easily punch through not just one but several interior walls. By contrast, .223 rifle ammunition tends to tumble, turn and slow down when penetrating barriers, even more than a 9mm fired from some pistols. Many shooters like to debate this point, and admittedly on the surface it doesn’t seem logical, but studies done by SWAT teams over a decade ago revealed this phenomenon to be fact and it was one of the main reasons a lot of tactical teams transitioned to M-4s/AR-15s and gave up the H&K MP-5 SMG in the 80s and 90s.
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Ghost wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:or telling you how to use and AR15 for home defense.

Over penetration, or miss. That round is going on to the next thing, which might be a good long distance way and something you did not see in the flight path. Also not very easy to handle in close quarters, requiring 2 hands to run effectively. Time on target in most cases is slower and ability to stop an advance at 20 feet and under with a single round is less than with many other options.

In terms of practicality and effectiveness in most cases a pistol (large and expanding bullets) is preferred, then very short barreled shotgun(buck shot) , last a rifle.

Folk are watching way to many movies if they really think an AR is the best tool for close work with uncertain backstops.

Lastly, you are most likely going to court if you use it. Totally bias on the side of juries, but I'd rather defend the use of a pistol over and AR for protection any day.

http://www.guns.com/2015/09/17/self-defense-inside-the-home-avoiding-over-penetratio/
Despite the popularity of the round, too few realize that 9mm ball ammo can easily punch through not just one but several interior walls. By contrast, .223 rifle ammunition tends to tumble, turn and slow down when penetrating barriers, even more than a 9mm fired from some pistols. Many shooters like to debate this point, and admittedly on the surface it doesn’t seem logical, but studies done by SWAT teams over a decade ago revealed this phenomenon to be fact and it was one of the main reasons a lot of tactical teams transitioned to M-4s/AR-15s and gave up the H&K MP-5 SMG in the 80s and 90s.

Apparently has not watched any of the MANY youtubes, mythbuster, or defense shows regarding WHY most swats etc use .223 as their main weapon where even shotgun buckshot travels through more layers of sheetrock, siding etc than 223.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 pm

LarryFlew wrote:Apparently has not watched any of the MANY youtubes, mythbuster, or defense shows regarding WHY most swats etc use .223 as their main weapon where even shotgun buckshot travels through more layers of sheetrock, siding etc than 223.

Here's a fair comparison of several different rounds and what happens with walls.
Ghost

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Well that's all well and good if your hit the walls and not glass like in a window or sliding door.

Most of the training I've seen LE do for indoor work is with pistols. They may approach with 223 but most transition to a pistol once inside. 3-5 guys in a line pretty hard to keep those muzzles all point safe in a tight space while moving.

You will notice they also don't talk about actually stopping power of the low grain 223 that show the tumbling.

I've done gel tests first hand with a variety of ammo and the reality is you can swing the result significantly by making what would seem to be minimal changes in the test. Clothing(including the material it is made of) temp of gel, type of sheet rock including how close the studs are, bullet and even barrel length and twist can impact the test. You'll notice he uses the same rifle for the 40 gr as the 77gr, you can induce tumble simply be using the less than optimal ammo in particular barrel.

Where is Sam when you need ballistics expertise?
mmcnx2

Postby crbutler on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm

Since the statute of limitations long ago ran out, I will share one of my dad's favorite stories. This was from in the 50's.

He and a buddy were going to school at Notre Dame. His buddy's dad was a gun nut and a Cadillac dealer.

Anyhow, they went out to Lake Michigan with his dad's newest toy that he had just sighted in, a .22 wildcat made on a 50 BMG full length case... And saw some sea ducks sitting on the lake about 600 yards out. My dad was bet that he couldn't hit one with the rifle. So they put a couple of sand bags on the hood of the new Cadillac dealer car and proceed to have at it, and shoot up the better part of a box of shells getting a couple of the birds to vaporize.

They went back to the dealership and parked the car and put the gun back in his buddy's dad's office and got on the train back to Nortre Dame.

The next day, his buddy was not in school and my dad saw him a week later, still pretty beat up.

They had not looked at the far side of the car where the muzzle had been, they had totaled a new caddy with the muzzle blast and flames.

And the rifle had a barrel life of 20 rounds and was shot out, without his dad firing a single shot....

Needless to say, my dad was glad that the code required manning up and not snitching out your pals when you did a stupid. Because of this story, I can't say that I have ever shot a round over the hood of a vehicle. I know I would get caught!

On the other hand, I have clipped props and walls in IPSC with a red dot sighted pistol because I didn't realize how close I was to the edge and the line of sight is about an inch and a half over the bullet path...
crbutler

Postby Thunderjohn on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I had a 65 Dodge convertible that had a powder burn on the white top that
never went away. I blame it on my youth.
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Thunderjohn wrote:I had a 65 Dodge convertible that had a powder burn on the white top that
never went away. I blame it on my youth.

I have a burn mark on my arm that has never gone away. I blame it on a 74 Dodge!
mmcnx2

Postby Meta-Prometheus on Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:10 pm

Indeed that is Sootch00. It's not like he is an inexperienced shooter, just look through his videos. He takes firearms courses and seems to be proficient. However even proficient people make mistakes. Still, you'd think he'd know that his sight line is approximately 2.5 inches above his bore line on an AR platform.
"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Meta-Prometheus

Postby nhluke on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:42 pm

Video cameras have a funny way increasing tunnel vision on the ones they point at. I can think of several times I've seen professionals in many industries make rookie mistakes once a camera gets pointed their way. I am aware this isn't his first time on camera.
nhluke

Postby LePetomane on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:33 pm

This "geoscoot" cannot be too bright. Why would someone make a video that displays one's own stupidity and then post it?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Resting a rifle on the hood.

Postby LumberZach on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:35 pm

LePetomane wrote:This "geoscoot" cannot be too bright. Why would someone make a video that displays one's own stupidity and then post it?

Because they get paid based on views. He certainly get more from the people in this thread.

In addition to that most of these YouTube stars like to give the whole picture, good, bad, and ugly. He also posted a video about how his home was broken into a while ago. Similar to Tex grubner shooting himself.
LumberZach

Postby armedwalleye on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Ahhh, it'll buff right out....

Somebody had to say it.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:22 am

TSKNIGHT wrote:In the early 90's I worked for a large GM dealer. We got a wrecker call to a local hunting area to get a disabled pickup.
Seems it started raining and this guy tossed his shotgun in the seat and followed it with the dog.

The dog got the trigger and put a round of shot through the radio. It cut the main wiring harness, trashed the radio, a good part of the dash and the computer module.
Would not want to be him explaining that one to his wife...

Well thank God the dog was okay!!! He probably rolled his eyes and howled "****!!! It's so embarrassing to got out in public with my idiot Cletus owner....."
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby LePetomane on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:59 am

LumberZach wrote:Because they get paid based on views. He certainly get more from the people in this thread.

He's still an idiot.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat