Shooting ranges in/near the Twin Cities that you would recom

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby yonse on Mon May 09, 2016 12:31 pm

I have historically done most of my shooting at Bill's but I am looking for recommendations for a different range now. The primary reason is that Bill's only allows you to have one uncased gun at a time. I understand why they do that but it doesn't make sense for me to wait until a gun has cooled down after shooting it so I can put it away without melting the foam in the case before I can shoot another gun. I am looking for a range that is

1) open to the public (or which has a reasonable membership which you can sign up for and use with guests the same day)

2) which allows you to have multiple guns out at a time (ie. 4+)

3) allows 3+ people at a lane

4) allows shooter's under the age of 18 (accompanied by an adult of course)

5) allows pistols, rifles, and shotguns to be used in the same lane

6) is open both on weeknights and on weekends

7) and is either in the Twin Cities or not too far from it (ideally within an hour of the North Metro).

Let me know which ranges you know of that fit these criteria or if you think that I am asking for too much. Thanks!
You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Re: Shooting ranges in/near the Twin Cities that you would recom

Postby photogpat on Mon May 09, 2016 1:15 pm

If you're in Roseville - a logical one would be Oakdale Gun Club. It has a small waiting list now - but for a couple years now, they've taken almost the entire list during the January/February membership times.

1) As a member you get up to three guests.
2) 100% covered shooting lines.
3) Virtually abandoned December through April.
4) Under 18 permitted with members
5) Few of the "stupid" rules when members only hours - common sense only.
6) Opens at 8am 7 days a week, not open past 30 minutes prior to sunset :(
7) Maximum distance is 200 meters
8) Board is still pretending its 1968

It has it's warts, but it's still the best value to me for $100 plus 18 service hours a year. When during public hours, the rules become somewhat stricter, but only on the ranges open to the Public....all others are still governed by Member rules only.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby bpacman on Mon May 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Your best answer is Beaverbrook Tri-County Sportmans Club. http://www.beaverbrook.us

Initial membership fee is $170 for the first year. It is then $130 a year. If you put in 10 hours of work, they knock it down to $75.

No indoor shooting bays, but they have 9 bays that you can shoot pistol/rifle/shotgun and a 100 yard rifle range. With your membership you are given a combination to the gate, where you can let yourself and up to 2 guests in and enjoy some shooting. You bring your own targets and target stands. Sign yourself and your guest in at the range shack and enjoy. Clean up after yourself and be safe.

They also have 5 Trap Ranges and one Skeet Range. They are expanding their facility and you won't find a better deal in the North Metro.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby hard h2o on Mon May 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Oakdale Gun Club has a great facility.

What do you intend to shoot with the shotguns? If it is slugs you are OK at OGC on the ranges.

We have a brand new trap thrower for the clay birds.

1) open to the public (or which has a reasonable membership which you can sign up for and use with guests the same day)
Beginning the First Saturday in June, Oakdale Gun Club will be open to the public every Saturday & Sunday, from 8am - 4pm (including Labor Day), through September 20th. Beginning September 20th, Oakdale Gun Club will be open to the public daily, from 8am - 4pm, through November 22nd.

Membership is very reasonable. As was said you can bring 3 guests year round during shooting hours as a member.

Non-members during public hours $20 per day No Limit on number of Firearms. One uncased at a time but no limit on the number used during the day.
Members can shoot as much and as many as they want during shooting hours. I bring multiple firearms and just keep them cased. I case and uncase as needed.

3) allows 3+ people at a lane
Generally 1 person per bench and one firearm per bench. Non-members $20 per person. Members can have 3 guests at a time. Why not each grab a bench and be comfortable?

4) allows shooter's under the age of 18 (accompanied by an adult of course)
Kids brought in by non-members have to have their firearms safety certificate. So kids have to be 11 or up. Not a requirement for members bringing in guests.

5) allows pistols, rifles, and shotguns to be used in the same lane
On the ranges limited to firearms firing single projectile ammunition. Obviously on the trap ranges the rules are different.

6) is open both on weeknights and on weekends
Beginning the First Saturday in June, Oakdale Gun Club will be open to the public every Saturday & Sunday, from 8am - 4pm (including Labor Day), through September 20th. Beginning September 20th, Oakdale Gun Club will be open to the public daily, from 8am - 4pm, through November 22nd.

Membership is very reasonable. As was said you can bring 3 guests year round during shooting hours as a member. Member shooting hours are posted and change with sunset. Basically open year round and every day to members with some exceptions.

7) and is either in the Twin Cities or not too far from it (ideally within an hour of the North Metro).
About 20 minutes from Roseville. I live in Oakdale and I am about 5 or 10 minutes away.
hard h2o

Postby atomic41 on Tue May 10, 2016 5:38 am

bpacman wrote:Your best answer is Beaverbrook Tri-County Sportmans Club. http://www.beaverbrook.us

Initial membership fee is $170 for the first year. It is then $130 a year. If you put in 10 hours of work, they knock it down to $75.

No indoor shooting bays, but they have 9 bays that you can shoot pistol/rifle/shotgun and a 100 yard rifle range. With your membership you are given a combination to the gate, where you can let yourself and up to 2 guests in and enjoy some shooting. You bring your own targets and target stands. Sign yourself and your guest in at the range shack and enjoy. Clean up after yourself and be safe.

They also have 5 Trap Ranges and one Skeet Range. They are expanding their facility and you won't find a better deal in the North Metro.

Bp

That sounds like a decent place. You mentioned that they are expanding...are they expanding the rifle range?
atomic41

Postby bpacman on Tue May 10, 2016 7:36 am

Yes, the BoD is currently planning a new Rifle Range that may include a 100, 200 and 300 rifle range.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby yonse on Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 am

Non-members during public hours $20 per day No Limit on number of Firearms. One uncased at a time but no limit on the number used during the day.
Members can shoot as much and as many as they want during shooting hours. I bring multiple firearms and just keep them cased. I case and uncase as needed.

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I was asked by a range officer once to put away and AR-15 that was out while I was shooting another gun. I knew it was still hot but I was pressed for time and didn't want to break the rules so I put it in the case. The foam inside melted and coated the barrel of my rifle. It ruined the case and I never managed to remove all of the foam from the barrel either. I want to go to a range where it is alright to leave guns (which are unloaded and pointing downrange) out AND uncased while shooting other ones. Otherwise I'll be forced to twiddle my thumbs while I wait for a gun to cool down before I can or I away and shoot something else.

I think I was at Beaverbrook as someone's guest once, I may have to look into that one.
You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Postby Erud on Tue May 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Just keep an old towel with you and cover hot guns with that before you put them in the foam.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 10, 2016 1:17 pm

yonse wrote:2) which allows you to have multiple guns out at a time (ie. 4+)

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I was asked by a range officer once to put away and AR-15 that was out while I was shooting another gun. I knew it was still hot but I was pressed for time and didn't want to break the rules so I put it in the case. The foam inside melted and coated the barrel of my rifle. It ruined the case and I never managed to remove all of the foam from the barrel either. I want to go to a range where it is alright to leave guns (which are unloaded and pointing downrange) out AND uncased while shooting other ones. Otherwise I'll be forced to twiddle my thumbs while I wait for a gun to cool down before I can or I away and shoot something else.

I think I was at Beaverbrook as someone's guest once, I may have to look into that one.

Then become a member and it is not an issue
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Tue May 10, 2016 2:50 pm

At OGC during members only times you can leave out what you want for as long as you want.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue May 10, 2016 2:55 pm

photogpat wrote:At OGC during members only times you can leave out what you want for as long as you want.

Or on a members only range during public hours as well. (which I think you may have mentioned already).
Holland&Holland

Postby ttousi on Tue May 10, 2016 3:03 pm

photogpat wrote:At OGC during members only times you can leave out what you want for as long as you want.

you are speaking firearms ...right? :mrgreen:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby photogpat on Tue May 10, 2016 3:37 pm

ttousi wrote:

you are speaking firearms ...right? :mrgreen:

Well, for everyone except you, of course.
photogpat

Postby ZardozCZ on Tue May 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Osseo Gun Club maybe? The newer OGC.
ZardozCZ

Postby Snakeman721 on Wed May 11, 2016 11:15 am

ZardozCZ wrote:Osseo Gun Club maybe? The newer OGC.

Being a range officer there, it's against our published rules but we do usually let people do it....especially if they just got done shooting an AR and are now shooting a pistol waiting for the AR to cool down. That's OK by me. The one problem I do not allow is having a 9mm and 40 cal pistols of the SAME make out at the same time. It's too easy to insert the wrong mag in the wrong gun. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Next

Return to General Gun Chat