Age to handle gun at store

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Postby silvor on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:15 pm

So I went into a local gun store today with my 11 year old. I've been in there several times (although was asked if I've been in there before), and bought guns and ammo over the years. We've been looking on and off for a shotgun for him that fits right, has a nice barrel length and isn't too heavy.

There was a youth shotgun for sale and after I checked it out I told him to put it up to his shoulder and see what he thinks. Keeping his finger off the trigger, and pointing it in a direction away from others he put it up to his shoulder a couple times. Right away, the worker comes over and says "he cannot hold the gun because he's not of age."

Is this a state or federal law? Or just this stores policy? :?: I've been to several places with him and no one ever said anything to that effect. Seems odd I cannot figure out if a YOUTH gun will work for him or not.

(Just to add, I'm being a bit vague about the store. It's not Walmart, which I had him handle the Cricket with no problems).
silvor

Re: Age to handle gun at store

Postby photogpat on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:32 pm

As long as you're within arms reach - it's a store policy.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby onebohemian on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm

What store? That is a dumb policy. Does your kid have his hunters safety certificate?
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby rtk on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:36 pm

Find a new place to shop.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 pm

onebohemian wrote:What store? That is a dumb policy. Does your kid have his hunters safety certificate?

Read the the OP kid is 11 - no he doesn't have Hunter Safety Cert - he is to young!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby BBeckwith on Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:31 pm

Technically could have taken the class and received the card... Just can't hunt until 12

Youth ages 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate. The Firearms Safety Certificate becomes valid at age 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:30 am

I know I've seen signs at Cabelas which I believe say 18. Regardless of where it surprises me that someone would say something though if the youth was with an adult and the adult handed them the firearm in a responsible manor. I would think such policies would be aimed more at unsupervised youth.
grimbeaver

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 am

grimbeaver wrote:I know I've seen signs at Cabelas which I believe say 18. Regardless of where it surprises me that someone would say something though if the youth was with an adult and the adult handed them the firearm in a responsible manor. I would think such policies would be aimed more at unsupervised youth.

Technically Cabelas is 18 correct however I have had many gun counter guys help me over the years with while my kids and have let them hold various models so I think it really depends on who you get.
Holland&Holland

Postby Snakeman721 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:04 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I know I've seen signs at Cabelas which I believe say 18. Regardless of where it surprises me that someone would say something though if the youth was with an adult and the adult handed them the firearm in a responsible manor. I would think such policies would be aimed more at unsupervised youth.

I think you nailed it....UNSUPERVISED youth is what the age limitations are aiming for.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby silvor on Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Couple things...
He is 11, so no certificate. How would they know anyway?
I was standing right next to him
He was pointing the gun at the wall, finger off the trigger. Not down an isle or at someone behind the counter or customers or anything.
I was instructing him the whole time.

I guess I don't want to out the store. If it's their policy that's fine, I can just go elsewhere. They just kind of rushed over right away and implied it was an across the board "law".

Thanks for the clarification guys on the law vs policy!
silvor

Postby Thunderjohn on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:32 pm

If it was our store, I'm sorry.
What we try to do is make sure the adult has a hand on the long gun ( or at
least under the gun).
We've had a few problems when younger kids think they have a good hold
on the gun.
We'll try to be a little better in the way we word things.
John
FFL - http://www.Southwest-Arms.com
God, Family, Business
Emails to SouthwestArms@Gmail.com
Thunderjohn

Postby onebohemian on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:00 pm

BBeckwith wrote:Technically could have taken the class and received the card... Just can't hunt until 12

Youth ages 11 and older can attend a firearms safety certification course and receive their certificate. The Firearms Safety Certificate becomes valid at age 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My 11 year old completed his class in April and received his certificate thereafter.

Capras had a number of youth shotguns in stock, and they have let my boys shoulder them for fit. Ask for Bob If he is around. He teaches the boy scout shotgun merit badge. Good resourse and a nice guy.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby LePetomane on Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:10 am

onebohemian wrote:Capras had a number of youth shotguns in stock, and they have let my boys shoulder them for fit. Ask for Bob If he is around. He teaches the boy scout shotgun merit badge. Good resourse and a nice guy.

I was there a while back and the staff wouldn't give me the time of day. My guess with shops not letting kids handle firearms is a liability issue.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby gdubya on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Arnzen had no issue with my closely supervised 7 y/o son shouldering and looking down the sights of a Savage Rascal about a year ago.
gdubya

Postby CraigJS on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 pm

How the hell is a father to buy a youth sized shotgun without the kid putting it up to his shoulder? I would have asked to talk to the owner / manager and then asked that exact question. Then told him to remember me because he won't ever see me again. And walked out..
CraigJS

Next

Return to General Gun Chat